Pattaya is the best place in Thailand!

flyingsaucersarereal

Isan isn't boring, I lived here for 14 years in the sticks and I love it. depends where your head is I suppose, you mentioned a beer gut and a 20 year old girlfriend (read gold digger) so it's pretty obvious where yours is. Pattaya isn't Thailand, it's a money making whorehouse. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The time one saves in CM getting to the airport is more than lost attending the hopeless immigration!

I would rather have a real airport under 90 minutes away than a half baked one with flights to nowhere except mostly Bangkok,  still 45 minutes away. 

It generally takes me less than 15 minutes to go to the Chiang Mai Airport, if I fly international, 3-5 minutes passing through immigration, and I can fly non-stop to 42 different destinations (in 12 different countries).

I normally fly with carry-on luggage and check-in online, so as said in previous comment, I leave no more than one hour before my flight is scheduled to depart, and have never missed a flight. That is a huge convenience and why you can’t convince me that Pattaya is “centrally located” when I have to leave for the airport 2-3 hours before departure.

I can only assume that you have no first hand experience with Chiang Mai and conflate “going through immigration” with the complaints from retirees about their VISA extension issues, which is completely unrelated to the airport.

36 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

My impression is that there are less low lives from Europe in the last years […]

Have you ever been to the food court at Big C? Boy that is depressing…

True. Both BigC and Royal garden went down many years ago. Next time try the food store at Central Festival on Second/Beach Rd. Excellent fruit there. If you prefere morr thai style, then visit the Naklua food market.

As for the Big C food court, I was referring to the expats there, I will probably offend some of the other posters here, but that gives you a good idea of why Pattaya is such a dump. It seems to attract a lot of sad characters.

I have been to the food court at Central Festival, it’s nice, but nothing like e.g. the one at IconSiam (Bangkok), and if you haven’t noticed, most of the people working there are from Myanmar. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it again affects the dynamics of the city: These people are not driving demand for anything, they live under even worse conditions than the Thais, and they work to send back money to their families. Contrast that to a “regular” city, where the young people work so that they can earn money and spend on themselves.

I have also been to the seafood market in Naklua and the adjacent park where you can have a picnic, it’s acceptable in lack of better options, but really, you need to see the “picnic spots” that other parts of Thailand has to offer.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Whilst I agree with most of the points you make, unfortunately, visa requirements, the higher cost of living, and the strong baht, has seen Pattaya fall out of favor with western tourists and expats. 

Agree. But I think, this is throughout Thailand not specificly about Pattaya. And yes, Pattaya was - without pink glasses about the "good old times" - a by far better place 10 or 15 years ago.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lkn said:

It generally takes me less than 15 minutes to go to the Chiang Mai Airport, if I fly international, 3-5 minutes passing through immigration, and I can fly non-stop to 42 different destinations (in 12 different countries).

I normally fly with carry-on luggage and check-in online, so as said in previous comment, I leave no more than one hour before my flight is scheduled to depart, and have never missed a flight. That is a huge convenience and why you can’t convince me that Pattaya is “centrally located” when I have to leave for the airport 2-3 hours before departure.

I can only assume that you have no first hand experience with Chiang Mai and conflate “going through immigration” with the complaints from retirees about their VISA extension issues, which is completely unrelated to the airport.

That's certainly nice that you are close to your airport but that's not a major consideration for me and my partner in choosing a place to live.  Maybe if we were flying somewhere once or twice a month it might be (probably still doubtful) but my partner and I only fly around 3 times a year so the easy trip to Suvarnabumi is fine for us.  We've been to CM three or four times and enjoy our visits doing touristy things there but to live there is not for us.

For us, for a place to live year-round and not just as a place to visit as a tourist, Pattaya has everything we need.  Some people are mountain people and some people are ocean people and we fall into the latter category.  All our condos in Pattaya have been ocean-view and we will never tire of the beautiful view of Pattaya Bay, the islands, and the coastline.  Sunsets over the ocean are beautiful and it's a delight having dinner on our balcony.  Love the ocean breeze and watching the bay activity.  We like the beach vibe.  That's us.  For others, maybe it's 'purple mountains majesty'.

We aren't tourists; we're living normal, year-round, regular lives so everyday things like good grocery stores, good health care, dentists, opticians, good home stores like Chic Republic, Index, Home Pro, etc. are important, as are movie theaters in English, a wide variety of restaurants, shopping choices, lots of nice expats living here to socialize with, and lots of housing choices with a number of distinct neighborhoods to choose from.  Of course, CM has all that too--minus the ocean. 

I'm happy CM works for you, as Pattaya works for us.  What I object to is the yahoos who visited Pattaya in 2006 or 2009 or whatever long ago year from the past and still feel they are qualified to make mostly incorrect statements regarding the Pattaya of today from their foggy memory of a visit as a tourist--which is by no means the same thing as living somewhere year-round.  We seem to get a steady stream of these jokers who come to Pattaya for a few days, hang out on Walking Street and Soi 6, and then grandly pronounce that, no, they could never live in Pattaya.  Just as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimn said:

OMG you are really showing your ignorance. 2009 is 11 years ago. The Darkside has changed massively since then. By the way its only 10 minutes to Jomtien beach and 20 minutes to a great beach at Ban Amphur. You are probably one of these people missing Pattaya so much that all you can do is slag it off, when the reallity is that you know nothing about Pattaya in 2020. 

Well, nothing in Thailand gets better and that must include Pattaya.

If a 20 minute ride to a beach is close for you we'll whatever. Living in California I was walking distance, often blocks to the ocean.

Sorry, what a read about Pattaya it's the same dump it always was but worse.

You're not near the bars, not beaches. There's nothing down there except cheap tourists and attractions.

I'm in BKK for another few years then we move South.

Enjoy it.

My wife wouldn't step within 10km of the place.

I used to like it but it changed for the worse.

No more international vibe In Pats just some indians and chinese folks left.

They meshed up The beach road into a noisy highway then the bali hai park isnt a park. Every night police road checkpoints for foreigners..

long term staying been made discouraged hence all the empty condo units. The Seawater is crapy and air pollution !

Pattaya has a lot to offer, but "Is it the best place in Thailand?" I haven't seen all of it. Been to Chang Mai..a few days was enough for me. Samui was my go to place, wanted to live there...glad I got over that phase. Spent 7 yrs as a part timer in Isaan and I mean house built in a raised rice paddie Isaan, the novelty wore off and glad I got out of there.

The one thing I hate about Patts is the traffic, I like to visit, go motorcycle riding all over. Today I stopped at the KISS on Naklua for a few beers, fun to watch the different characters about. I'll take living in this region over Isaan any day, love the beach I have close by.

• Like 1

Times are changing, maybe Pattaya is not the same as it was 10 years ago.  But after living in both CM , Bangkok and Pattaya, my first choice will always be Pattaya/Jomtien.  

Main reason, the fresh sea breeze if you live near the beach, and much better variety of restaurants if your'e into western food. 

Isaan got nothing to offer unless you want to become a farmer. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lkn said:

(in 12 different countries).

I looked the other day, The ONLY long haul was to Qatar, 80% of the flights were to Bangkok, one of the 12 countries must be Thailand, and I say BS on that as Macau and Hong Kong are not countries!

This morning you will have 29 flights to  Bangkok or other Thai Cities, one to Vietnam, one to Malaysia, one to China, one to Laos and one to Tapei. Hardly London Heathrow is it!

If it wasn't for the slow toll booths I could be at Swampy in 1.15hrs from my place. 

I used to be able to get to MAN in the UK in twenty minutes, now that was convenient. Modern times, modern problems, these days one cannot rely on making one's flight

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Darkside...might as well live in Chachoensao. If you're going to live near the beach, that's not near the beach.

I left Pattaya for good in 2009. Never looked back. The type of men it was attracting not only skint, miscreants but foreign thieves I just reached my threshold.

Darkside, bwah.

yeah, theres a particular demographic that lives in pattaya, just to live, not party.

its actually a great place for someone who wants to do criminal stuff because you just blend in as a tourist and your more invisible in the passing crowd then you would be in a more secluded or normal area where people would notice you.

i never give out real personal info to strangers in patts, and strangely thats the one place where expats i meet really pry for personal info-circumstances right off the bat. its almost like a job interview with a lot of these guys with the personal stuff. learned to brush it off and just have fun after awhile but it can be annoying.

Edited by fhickson

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I looked the other day, The ONLY long haul was to Qatar, 80% of the flights were to Bangkok, one of the 12 countries must be Thailand, and I say BS on that as Macau and Hong Kong are not countries!

I think we got a little off track here.

OP claimed that Pattaya was the best place to live because it is centrally located.

Centrally located is not “I can reach Heathrow in 14 hours”, and living here would presumably mean that you are not going to Heathrow all the time.

Though if you live here, there is a pretty good chance you will take shorter trips, e.g. to get away from Songkran or just a change of scenery, and that is where having an airport close by is a great convenience, and the closeness of CNX to Chiang Mai is hard to beat, and why Chiang Mai does not feel “isolated” as the OP implied.

4 minutes ago, lkn said:

Centrally located is not “I can reach Heathrow in 14 hours”, and living here would presumably mean that you are not going to Heathrow all the time.

I see you put quotes around that but I certainly did not write it. 

Pattaya is far far more central than Chiangmai, the country's main airport being under 90 minutes away, the country's capital City under a few hours away, via many regular bus services and connected by motorways and trains.. all undergoing substantial improvement.  All that and a Beach too! To get away at Songkran, I can take a Ferry ride to Hua Hin.  

On 3/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, androokery said:

When it's time to go to my home country, I try to make sure I leave Pattaya early in the morning. Those early mornings really make me miss the place more in all its depravity...

Mornings are quite special in Pattaya. Most people sleep late, so it's rarely experienced. ???? But shops, bars, and restos that stay open such long hours are briefly closed. Few vehicles on the streets. Cleaners out cleaning the streets and sidewalks--sometimes. It's just amazingly quiet after all the noise, lights, and action of the night before. But then there also seems a sense of anticipation for it all to wake up and come alive again, for the whole population from clerks to dancers to assume their places, the neon to come on and the whole miracle repeat itself, as it does, incredibly, night after night.

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Mornings are quite special in Pattaya. Most people sleep late, so it's rarely experienced. ???? But shops, bars, and restos that stay open such long hours are briefly closed. Few vehicles on the streets. Cleaners out cleaning the streets and sidewalks--sometimes. It's just amazingly quiet after all the noise, lights, and action of the night before. But then there also seems a sense of anticipation for it all to wake up and come alive again, for the whole population from clerks to dancers to assume their places, the neon to come on and the whole miracle repeat itself, as it does, incredibly, night after night.

Mornings in Pattaya are a very different affair for me. It starts with the 2 mosques, either side of me, calling the faithful to prayer, good for me as it reminds me of my youth and a time I lived in Marakech. Followed by the dawn chorus of fighting cocks (everyone has at least one cock here). When I venture out I'm surrounded by stalls selling of breakfast goodies. Gwai tort (fried bananas) for me, great with a good breakfast coffee. Then it's time to beat a hasty retreat, back to my sanctuary as the endless horde of kids on their scooters fly down the road on the way to school. Quiet? I wish.

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

yeah, i do have a complaint on pattaya, the traffic jam,

i go to foodland 6 am just to dodge the traffic

I used to do my foodland trip at 5am (Saturdays) to avoid traffic but the past few weeks ive left it until much later (last Saturday 9am) and the traffic has been very light.

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Chang Mai is really nice, we had an awesome time, the inner city have an atmosphere that Pattaya will never achieve.

Chiang Mai will never achieve the atmosphere that inner city Pattaya has. ???? Variety is the spice of life, eh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Not trying to start something with you just curious what is better about it?

It is fine for a few days I play golf up there, but find the rest of it a total bore.

I find that the old houses and often very tastefully decorated cafe/restaurants are giving the place a nice cosy atmosphere.

That will perhaps quickly wear thin if you spend a longer time up there. 

21 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I find that the old houses and often very tastefully decorated cafe/restaurants are giving the place a nice cosy atmosphere.

That will perhaps quickly wear thin if you spend a longer time up there. 

in other words, it has more style and class.

Done short visits (including 90s when it really was pumping). Always a buzz and can see the appeal (esp for golfers and gropers), though personally couldn't do it permanently. Phuket would edge it for me despite the expense, but each to their own. Those ripping into it, just consider yourselves lucky to be able to have an option as the present 'government' could have quite easily squeezed you out and you could be in a shoebox in dreary Bradford or some other gawdforsaken place. :smile:

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 8:06 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

Try - as ONE example - "Siam Bay View". There's a couple of pool villas priced around 50 million THB or more. One's owned by Swiss friend of mine. Very nice.

Looking for a 600m2 penthouse straight on the beach? I can help.

But I confess, those places are usually not offered for short time rent.

And to the lack of daytime activities:

You play Golf, Squash, Tennis, Badminton, Snooker or something like that.? Welcome.

But you're right so far as there are no places to hug buffaloes, watch the rice growing, discuss with your teethless Thai neighbor the rising somtam prices and other enyoements like that.

I'll add to that list sailing, road cycling, mountain biking, softball on Sundays, and running (early in the morning or late afternoon is best).

On 3/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, BigStar said:

Chiang Mai will never achieve the atmosphere that inner city Pattaya has. ???? Variety is the spice of life, eh.

Chiang Mai actually has great night-life, Zoe in Yellow is always bustling, Warm up Cafe, Spice. You just got to go to the right places.

What I would like to know what makes a 60 year old holding a beer in one hand and an ugly used prostitute 'edgy'?

Nothing wrong with it, but it's not exactly 'edgy', is it? What makes Pattaya so edgy? The fact that 30 year bar girls scream after you?

Honestly curious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Logosone said:

What I would like to know what makes a 60 year old holding a beer in one hand and an ugly used prostitute 'edgy'?

Nothing wrong with it, but it's not exactly 'edgy', is it? What makes Pattaya so edgy? The fact that 30 year bar girls scream after you?

Honestly curious.

The selection bias makes it obvious that you're simply putting out a bash while trying to disguise it as "honest" curiosity. Not bitin', sorry.