Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

so it was basically an announcement of a future announcment

This is the decision that that decides the decisive decision to be decided when the PM decides, wich will be at the right time. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Diddl said:

I went out last week to BigC and the shelves for toilet paper were nearly empty.  I saw 3 Westerners shopping and 2 of them had filled trolleys full of toilet paper.  Only 1 Westerner had not.

How selfish can you get!

As much as we bash Thais, it seems that some Westerners are no better.

Westerners are much worse. Haven't you seen pictures of stores in for example the UK? Empty shelves even when everyone says there are no shortages. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Where? 

No where yet. I think some people are spreading rumors. I think he was trying to suggest that the police were taking money to let people pass but that’s false. No road blocks yet that I’m aware of none have been reported yet but I’m concerned that might be coming. But I just heard it on the news and they do have the power to shutdown everything for a month so I’m canceling our little short road trip to the mountains next week. Enough said on that after what I just heard on the news. 

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Westerners are much worse. Haven't you seen pictures of stores in for example the UK? Empty shelves even when everyone says there are no shortages. 

Yes, it's very sad that people can be so selfish and greedy.  I think the US is restricting how many products you can buy now because of this.  What a terrible world we live in with no thought for others.

40 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

I am getting angry at some of the comments, are all Foreigners complete numpties or do they not have the ability to read. We have all seen what is happening across the Globe , hoping like hell that it will not happen here, but in truth those that can THINK , knew all along it was going to happen , many thought and planned but an awful lot did nothing and now ask idiotic and pointless questions , about Immigration for example, when any man would have checked weeks ago if he thought he would have a problem, it is down to us not THEM to make sure we abide by the rules .Are all those complaining so bloody dense they cannot think or act.

Sorry sympathy is for the really ill and very old who rely on others, not most on here who I am sure are reasonably healthy but seem unable to think. 

I don't  know which comments you're referring to in particular and some may well be stupid but it's not always that easy. 

In my case I came out from the UK on 29th Dec on a 90 day visa with a flight back on 15th Mar. I actually went to the airport but after discussions with my son and daughter decided not to leave. When I'm in the UK i stay with my mother who is fit but will be 92 in May. Having gone through Bangkok and it's airport and then sitting on a plane and transiting Bahrain airport and sitting  on another plane i would have had to find somewhere else to stay until I could be sure i was free of three virus. I checked on here and found i could get a 60 day extension which will take me to 27th May. It looks as if I can get another extension but i didn't know that at the time. 

I don't know exactly what the government is going to do and I don't suppose you do either. My wife works in a government department (not immigration unfortunately) and some of the things they do make no sense to me so assuming they will do what is obviously sensible doesn't mean they will. 

There's a lot we and they don't know. 

• Like 2

I asked the question "why 2 days before state of emergency comes in".  Well the wife's answer was 'it takes time for the army to get organised'.   So I said if Cambodia suddenly attacked Thailand it would take 2 days to fight back.  But apparently thats silly as Cambodia is not going to attack Thailand......

OK,  I am not going to ask any more questions!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand to declare one-month emergency on March 26 - prime minister

They should declare this a war against a foreign body, then they can dip into the colossal military budget and help out a few needy people?

The money would be better spent propping up the inadequate health service rather than buying useless submarines for the navy to play with!

• Like 1

My wife’s sister says there’s a 7PM curfew in Korat but I have not heard anything officially yet about any curfews from any official sources yet. So this is UNCONFIRMED just what my wife’s sister said but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised at all if there is. I believe the lockdown begins tomorrow so she’s probably just hearing stuff like most of us probably are. Honestly if there’s not an official curfew yet you know that’s coming. 

Edited by JimLuce

Check out this crazy guy......everywhere else in the world knows face masks are not recommended by World Health Organisation, unless for Health Workers, or people with symptoms. And if it were necessary, he requires the nose to be covered and mask to be properly sealed. Poor example to the population....

53 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Does anyone know can a thai with a fit to fly still fly into bangkok...ie have they closed the airport

The airport is still open currently but who knows how long it’ll stay open at this point. Starting tomorrow the country is going into emergency mode. I would expect potential airport closures especially after reading what the US Embassy said about if you’re gonna go go now while flights are still available.

Edited by JimLuce

19 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I asked the question "why 2 days before state of emergency comes in".  Well the wife's answer was 'it takes time for the army to get organised'.   So I said if Cambodia suddenly attacked Thailand it would take 2 days to fight back.  But apparently thats silly as Cambodia is not going to attack Thailand......

OK,  I am not going to ask any more questions!

My wife merely laughed when I posed that question.

10 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I read an article by some kind of 'trick-cycle' qualified person a few weeks ago (no link) giving his interpretation as to why this (bulk buying of toilet paper) was happening.

His thoughts were that this could simply have started as a comment on a social media platform and spread, ironically, like a virus, because it was highlighted as an essential from some random, popular channel. He suggested that if the original comment was about toothpaste, the same sort of clearing of shelves of toothpaste could have happened. I think I actually believe his points of view, hypothetical as they may be.

I mean, in a country that is ruled by the 'bum-gun', why would you need to put toilet paper ahead of say, tinned food as an essential? 

I agree, and this trick-cycle' is being used in many other cases too, such as viruses.