Wearing face masks and keeping apart: Pattaya’s famous bar scene could be very different post COVID-19

webfact

As the Thai's say.....OVER or OWER. I can't see tourists spending money to come to a bar scene like what wa mentioned or the local ex-pat community supporting that. It definitely needs a major re-think

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Again, why not let the businesses, whose money is on the line, and their customers, decide for themselves the course of the business instead of relying on your imaginings from the keyboard?

And what if w continue our lively discussion? You are going to arrest us?

On 5/5/2020 at 3:06 PM, OnTheGround said:

What's the rush then?

This group can get back together some time next year.

Stop dreaming about tourists coming in numbers, this year. Not going to happen. Don't think this group watch (much) any international news, or understand the severity of this pandemic.

If they're allowed to open up lets say in August this year, they must pay staff salary, electricity etc, but the most important thing will be missing: customers. What's the rush to open up? A last dream how to avoid go into bankruptcy. 

Bar opening: People working in bars could be made to wear face masks and gloves.

Hostesses already ignore customers because they're busy with their phone, Line chat and FB. Bars has been dead for years, much thanks to lack of quality hostesses, and their lousy attitude. Now add on face mask and rubber gloves. Will any imaginary customer frequent these places? Not unless they revamp their business, and cut down bar fees, and improve quality.

Better reconvene early next year. By then they know if any tourists are coming, or not.

They should be allowed to open now. You say maybe no customers untill later in the year well there are still expats and farangs who work here that might want to go out for a drink or see a pretty girl dancing , ect. Sure won't be enough for all the bars but some with desent entertaiment will provide some jobs for some girls and staff.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smedly said:

gloves are a total waste of time, what is the difference between wearing gloves and not - zero 

All they have to do is wash hands often (including customers) and make sure beer coolers (Condoms) are used by only one customer and then cleaned thoroughly before reuse and tables/chairs are cleaned after every use 

It's simple enough.  If there is going to be no physical contact and the bargirls are made to wear masks then nobody is going to go into the bars in the first place.  Cleaning beer coolers or washing hands would be irrelevant, there wouldn't be any punters anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pique Dard said:

a gogo bargirl wearing a mask while performing, that must be something!

Yep, she will have her actual face tattooed on her back so you can see what she really looks like sans mask.  Makes hitting it from behind just like you were face to face....

2 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

As for short times with social distancing???

Yes, that

it's the problem and nobody can do something against it

i mean as soon as the blokes from infected countries (US, europe...) can come again holidaying in Pattaya (And you can be sure they will coming in mass, imagine all these young guys isolated alone during weeks with no sex at all, the level of frustration must be huge actualy) they can potentialy contaminate a lot of girls, and the girls can contaminate a lot of guys in return.

Of course nobody knowing they are infetcted already (As far as we know you can have the virus with no symptoms during few weeks)

It should be very quick to spread the virus all over the city

that's the fear number one here in Pattaya imho

and that's why i think the bars, massages, gogo.. should be the

last to open again if they can re open one day. 

It's sad but i do not see another way to deal with the problem

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

Why not just get on with death and end the species? No more garbage ideas and concepts!

haha really ? a bit dramatic don't you think ?

what percent of the earths population has been infected by the virus ? then what percent has died from it ? 

150k people die every day on this planet.

i read a report a few weeks ago that approx 1 billion people will fall into poverty from this. now let's say that as a direct result of that 1 percent of those people die. so odds are approx 10 million people are going to die as a result of the steps we have put into place. 

10 million. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

It's simple enough.  If there is going to be no physical contact and the bargirls are made to wear masks then nobody is going to go into the bars in the first place.  Cleaning beer coolers or washing hands would be irrelevant, there wouldn't be any punters anyway. 

Not simple, really, but in fact hard to say. The physical contact (in the bar) question wasn't addressed in the OP. But the strip bars in the USA are successful despite mostly no physical contact. As for the masks, they can look kinda cute, as they often do on the girls you see around town or in the supermarkets. Might even improve appearance.

It would be good marketing IMO if they relaxed the usual girls' dress code to compensate. And they might.

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not simple, really, but in fact hard to say. The physical contact (in the bar) question wasn't addressed in the OP. But the strip bars in the USA are successful despite mostly no physical contact. As for the masks, they can look kinda cute, as they often do on the girls you see around town or in the supermarkets. Might even improve appearance.

It would be good marketing IMO if they relaxed the usual girls' dress code to compensate. And they might.

I've always been put off by girls with teeth like a horse and plenty of Thai girls have. How would I know if they're all wearing masks?

2 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I've always been put off by girls with teeth like a horse and plenty of Thai girls have. How would I know if they're all wearing masks?

Exactly, so that issue would be out of the way and you could be free to use your fertile imagination. For some of our braver punters, the masks offer additional opportunity for the game of peekaboo (hee, hee!).

57 minutes ago, mr mr said:

so odds are approx 10 million people are going to die as a result of the steps we have put into place. 

Would point out I played no part in any restrictions.

If it were up to me the weak would die, and the strong would live.

I am not part of your 'we'.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Fun has been banned by over zealous medical experts and pen pushing bureaucrats. Social distancing and fun just don't go together, it's impossible. I've thought about how bars and clubs could be safe, it's awful to imagine it, so best not to ????

I'm hoping that the world will come to it's senses but it's not looking promising at present, but hey, things may change in a few months time...

When opening the nightlife again hopefully this with the bars and their girls doesn't end like the shopping chaos at the end of the booze ban...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Fun has been banned by over zealous medical experts and pen pushing bureaucrats. Social distancing and fun just don't go together, it's impossible. I've thought about how bars and clubs could be safe, it's awful to imagine it, so best not to ????

I'm hoping that the world will come to it's senses but it's not looking promising at present, but hey, things may change in a few months time...

I actually believe there are a vast amount of puritan control freaks running the planet who would take almost any excuse to ban the 'fun' of the general population, sex, bars, restaurants, alcohol, drugs, beaches, countryside ....... all targets for bans on the flimsiest of excuses.

While participating themselves in all to excess.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I actually believe there are a vast amount of puritan control freaks running the planet who would take almost any excuse to ban the 'fun' of the general population, sex, bars, restaurants, alcohol, drugs, beaches, countryside ....... all targets for bans on the flimsiest of excuses.

While participating themselves in all to excess.

Of course. Remember that old dragon Mary Whitehouse and her clean up campaign, my dad used to shout at the tv for her to something off lol. The medical scientific advisors are the modern day Mary Whitehouse's and they hate fun, but underneath they are hypocrites like Neill Ferguson!

On 5/5/2020 at 5:00 PM, smedly said:

when they open the airports to international travel they are expecting a mad rush 

just shows how ill-informed they are and quite frankly stupid

Where does it say they expect that?

I read in the article

On 5/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, webfact said:

Last week, a key industry figure said it may take more than two years before Pattaya’s tourism industry, of which the entertainment and nightlife scene are a fundamental part, returns to normal. 

Thanet Supharothatrangsi, an executive of Sunshine Group of hotels, said the COVID-19 pandemic is the biggest crisis facing the resort in 50 years and that he expects many tourists related businesses not to survive

Sounds quite the opposite of what you claim

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out I played no part in any restrictions.

If it were up to me the weak would die, and the strong would live.

I am not part of your 'we'.

15-love

whats needed is a self contained breathing helmet .thais have the means to build these cheaply .this would solve all the pomplems in the street and on the metro

Edited by 3NUMBAS

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why not just stop all preventative measures, and let death take whom it will.

I'm happy to take my chances and prefer to live a normal life until the end.

No thanks, I don't. A few months of sacrifice trumps dead in my mind.