Advice on buying a new car in Thailand

Sheryl

1 hour ago, shinawhat said:

It’s awful traveling 1 hour each way to get the car serviced.....best to pick one close to you.....

Exactly.... we bought our suv at closet dealer which is 1 hour drive.

I was in for 90 check in and market. Oil change was do decided stop by dealer to get oil changed shouldn’t take long. 

Mid afternoon pulled in service didn’t look busy... one car on rack 

couple of people in waiting room. 30 minutes later service person comes over and says I need to make an appointment for next week

not enough time today..   hmmm 14:00 and too late.. ridiculous I had it changed at a chain service center near us...

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

OK we seem to have consensus around most things.

Except the coating. Some are saying it is good and helos prevent scratches, others are saying it wears off quickly and not worth it.

I am not sure if we are all talking about the same type of coating?

I couldn't care less about shine. My possible interest in coating is solely to prevent chips and scratches. Especially since paint jobs here are so expensive and for some reason they refuse to do an isolated area.

So  If it won't do that, or if it is going to require repeat coatings every few months I am not intetested. But if it will last at least a few years and reduce chips and scratches then I very much am.

Forget the coating...if you ever have a prang in your coated car the colour of the repaired section  will never match.........:thumbsup:  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

OK we seem to have consensus around most things.

Except the coating. Some are saying it is good and helos prevent scratches, others are saying it wears off quickly and not worth it.

I am not sure if we are all talking about the same type of coating?

I couldn't care less about shine. My possible interest in coating is solely to prevent chips and scratches. Especially since paint jobs here are so expensive and for some reason they refuse to do an isolated area.

So  If it won't do that, or if it is going to require repeat coatings every few months I am not intetested. But if it will last at least a few years and reduce chips and scratches then I very much am.

In my opinion it wont stop scratches, about as much use as the Window Films stopping heat myth.. What a good coat does well is stops Bird Poop acidity staining the Paint.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, Sheryl said:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

5. Any other peculiarities  or pitfalls to be aware of?

If it can help you, I bought a new Toyota car 6½ years ago directly from Toyota. Before that I had bought a cheap almost 11-year old second hand car, one I actually was very happy with, but at nearly 19 years of age it either needed major repairs, or a change.

1) Buying from authored dealer, i.e. Toyota in my case, makes service, including the free service, and any warranty easy; I however never had anything to complain about.

2) Yes, I could negotiate a small discount – dealer marks ups are limited – and little freebies such as extra LED-brake light and spoiler, and a low price for changing cloth seats to leather seats (10,000 baht for an Avanza, 8 people in total).

3) Yes, in my case all included, also first year first class insurance; I however think I paid about 2,000 baht extra for registration fee or number plates.

4) I think so. But I sold my second hand car through the used service garage, actually for a better price than I expected, second hand cars are quite high valued in Thailand. I think new car dealers resell trade-in cars to second hand dealers, or operate separate second hand outlet.

5) Not at all in my case; I was extremely happy with everything. I use the supplier's service, which is fair priced – might be able to get it a bit cheaper in a local garage – and if anything, I can always come back as it's fully authorized service with genuine parts etc. Just had my 60,000 kilometer service made for just below 1,400 baht – they gave me 25+ percent "Corona-discount"...????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, petermik said:

Forget the coating...if you ever have a prang in your coated car the colour of the repaired section  will never match.........:thumbsup:  

BS. We have had panels and patches repainted a couple of times on our Toyota and the match is perfect.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

Having bought a Honda HRV rs when they came out August 2018. I negotiated hard but was only able to get a few extras. The deals only come when the model changes or is upgraded. I bought my car for 1.2Mb with extras installed and fitted like leather carpets, front facing camera, Chrome LED Cill step and underfoot lights etc. Msny extras. However, I find I do not use it much and am now selling at over 300,000 loss with only less than 13,00Km and full services by Honda. I would suggest that you buy a low Kilo car that is over a year old and has a lot of extras that you won't get from the dealer. I have mine up for 895,000 in perfect condition, like new. motors.co.th

Have bought 2 new ones here. Insurance will be given for the first year and they will register it. Go to a dealer. Prices are more or less set but should depend on what amenities you want in the car. If they don't have it on the lot  then it will be ordered direct from another dealer or if no have then from the factory. My ford ranger had to come from the factory and took an extra month to get. Also they will want to take a copy of your passport and have it checked out with immigration or the amphur if pink card. But hey even do that for motorcycles as well. New cars are nice. Have fun!

sorry guys, don't want to open a new thread.

Any advice on buying a second-hand car? I plan to fly to Bangkok for few days to choose, inspect and register a car. How long does it usually take to complete all the paperwork? Should I plan for few weeks rather than few days?

What else I have to bring with me besides the passport, work permit, driving license, and certificate of residence?

50 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Cheap film doesn’t do much, ceramic film does.

Sorry but your totally wrong. Put a Thermometer in a 3YO 3Ms Ceramic Filmed Accord and a Non Filmed new Accord ive just done so. . At Mid Day they both read exactly the Same. UV Ray damage to the Leather make it worthwhile,  mainly to the next owner unless you dont buy new every 3 years.

Sheryl ...ceramic coating will resist bird muck etc more than the clear coat BUT anyway you need to remove it quickly and yes it will remove slightly easier than on a non coated car. 9H just means a 9H pencil 'slid' over the surface won't scratch! I bought a new Merc last year and did not coat it. That should tell you something about my view of coatings. Of course if you 'lash out' for say Optium Pro Plus ....

Here is a lot of truth about coatings... https://ecowashhawaii.com/the-truth-about-ceramic-coatings/

After a lifetime of only ever buying and driving used cars I've decided I'm getting too old for dealing with breakdowns aling the highway and other headaches and decided to for the first time buy a new cat.

I know what I want to het and will be buying cash upfront not on payments. BZefore I proceed, having never done it, I'd like to get better informed. Specifically:

1. Any pros and cons to buying from the dealer (manufacturer e.g. Honda) as opposed to private car lots? 

2. Are prices listed at the dealer fixed or can you negotiate a discount? In initial visit they showed me a printed price list and it seemed final but I didn't explore it at that point.

3. Does the purchase price include tax and registration fee or is that usually additional? I assume they will facilitate the registration as used care places do.

4.  Do dealers accept trade ins later? This is usual in the US and many people who don't want repair hassles buy new cars every 5 years or so each time turning in the old towards the price of the new. But as the dealership doesn't seem to sell other than new cars I am not sure this system applies in Thailand?

5. Any other peculiarities  or pitfalls to be aware of?

Hi Sheryl:

1. There's little benefit in cash payments nowadays. Financers offer more remuneration for a financed vehicle.

2. At any dealership you can negotiate a discount. Usually there's a fixed amount based upon the value of what your buying. Local conditions can cause this amount to vary.

3. Normally, your assumption is correct.

4. Yes they can offer a price for your vehicle. The price based on what a used car dealer offers. As the person you're dealing with is generally aware of what that number will be, what you're offered reflects a market value, but can be negotiated.

5. Any 'good deal' you get for a new car will be reflected by your trade-in price. Economics 101.

Purchase of some vehicles is easier for numerous reasons. If you want to keep your new ride for the same time period. Buy one that you like and don't compromise.

Edited by alacrity

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Mostly the information under is correct. Just a few additional points. We have just bought a car 817km ago.

1) you can’t by a new car from a private lot. If it’s on a private lot then by definition it’s not new whatever the kilometres on it.

2) there is slight room for negotiation. More if you are trading in a used vehicle and don’t want the bother of a private sale.

2a) once you know exactly what model and specification you want go to the showroom and ask if they have it in stock you will get the best possible price on a model and colour that they have.

we decided on a Mazda 2 as the tech in it is better than the competition.
Honda used to be excellent but haven’t done anything in the last 10 years.

Toyota is also way behind.

Chevrolet is pulling out of Thailand so that’s where the huge discounts are coming from  so don’t buy one.

Nissan has the new Almera that is worth a look.

Surprised by your negative views on Honda. I am not a Honda ,but to my eyes, the 'new' civic is a great design, and the new Honda City engine seems technically advanced, relative to others here.  The City is on my shopping list but I am waiting. There was talk of govt helping out the motor industry here by adding 100.000 to the trade in price, to stimulate new car sales. Not sure if its still under discussion, or 'filed'

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, sanuk711 said:

The last 2 cars I have brought new have been Honda's---I gave up on Udon Thani both times and spent 2 days in BKK. It wasn't a great time to get a discount--- so I found ( as has been mentioned) that they didnt drop on the price--so  I would take the freebies (Add on's) So the main expensive things I went for

1/ I got 1 year insurance with Honda free....Saved about 30,000, (Had one small accident--they were good and fixed it).....

2/ I had the car Armour coated, the top of the range was expensive takes them 2 days to put several clear coats of whatever ---in 7 years on roads up in Issan driving behind sugar cane trucks with no mud flaps etc I haven't had a chip in the bonnet. its really worth it--as your paint also doesn't fade. 7 years ago that was 40,000Baht  Guarantee 5 years. (yes there were much cheaper ones around--doing a much cheaper looking job  https://www.armorcoatusa.com/ This was not the company I used --can not remember the name I just put the link for info.

With that one I got a 50% discount---could have had it free with a lessor protection. Tinted windows free, There are all sorts of tint, look it up to get the quality ones that cut down the UV without being to dark, some have the manufactures name printed on them, that's a no obviously. (but you have to tell them) If I had lived in BKK I could have done a deal with the first 3 services. 

You must of course make sure you are getting the current years make....(the log book will always say year-2563)  but the VIN number will tell you when actually made. They have a posting on TV https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/290510-how-read-this-vin-number-mncls32885w408738/

each manufacturer will have his own site about where the Vin is (on the inside of the door etc)

Also  try to find out when the minor changes are made to the new car---its usually in August, they might alter the door handles / mirrors etc....small changes if they are keeping  the same model--but ones that will identify it as being the latter model of that year.

There are many add ons that you can get to buy--go onto the Honda site (if that's what your buying) pick all the ones that will be useful to you....and that's what you want to aim for your freebies.

Petrol consumption--- I have a Honda Accord ---big car but it takes E85--the cheapest fuel you can buy. E85= 85% Ethanol-15% petrol) at the moment it is 18 baht a liter, I fill the tank up for about 900 Baht & I can drive non stop to BKK from Udon Thani----that's not an exaggeration, & I do drive fast. Many of the smaller Honda cars are now E20---E40...and their new range of scooters are taking the Ethanol also. 

If its a Honda you are looking at--then as well as the main dealers there are independent dealers in just Honda cars, I brought from one in Phaya Thai,  Wong motors.

Good luck on whatever model you buy (don't take a Nissan obviously) If you are buying a Japanese car....don't forget to look up the Japanese sites........see what extras they have also.

Were you never taught that NOTHING in this world is FREE. Anything the dealer adds has been taken out of his profit WHICH YOU HAVE PAID HIM.

46 minutes ago, beau thai said:

sometimes a Vote Down or Smartass button would be handy.....

I am not trying to be a Smartass. I am merely pointing out that someone who says thay want to buy a new CAT, ought to re-read before posting.

How somebody, Pineapple, can be sad by what I have posted is confusing to me.

Edited by stouricks
  • Sad 2

I would recommend Toyota, simply because nearly every mechanic in Thailand knows how to service them. Hondas are good, but IMO are priced at premium levels. Mitsubishi is an underrated brand, competitive pricing.

Negotiation with a main dealer is mostly about how much fruit salad can be added to the car for the list price, e.g. adaptive cruise control, lane assist, reversing cameras, extra warranty etc. Fruit salad adds to the resale value. Start with the base model and wheedle your way up to the extras you want.

Expect to get rooked on trade-ins, far better to sell privately. Cars owned by farangs usually move quickly if they are realistically priced, because farangs and Thais alike know they are far more likely to have had regular servicing. Advertise on TV, bahtsold and one2car.

I may get disagreement on this; however, I would be buying a car that has a torque converter gearbox in preference to a CVT gearbox. Three reasons - CVT's are quite gutless in the mountains, and they require stringent servicing with premium oils. If a CVT breaks down, it's a horrendous replacement bill. Torque converters have a long history of reliability.

29 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Were you never taught that NOTHING in this world is FREE. Anything the dealer adds has been taken out of his profit WHICH YOU HAVE PAID HIM.

Thank you stouricks......... no I never realized that, I just thought that the salesperson was Jai Dee to me...maybe because I am a silly farang who has only been here 20+ years. I will be sure to call on you next time --maybe you have the time to show me how its all done.

But stouricks, its not true that nothing in this world is free----it doesn't cost me anything to be polite to you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Thank you stouricks......... no I never realized that, I just thought that the salesperson was Jai Dee to me...maybe because I am a silly farang who has only been here 20+ years. I will be sure to call on you next time --maybe you have the time to show me how its all done.

But stouricks, its not true that nothing in this world is free----it doesn't cost me anything to be polite to you.

Thanks Sanuk. In a lot of advertising, here and in my case on UK TV, they should change the word FREE to INCLUDED.

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Let me suggest you may have lost a bit of tooth enamel before responding.

Do not expect huge discounts on the list prices. I only managed to get 7000 baht of a new Toyota as colour discount for the car is being white. But you will most certainly get some free extras thrown in (chrome plates and leather seats for example if that's your thing) 

Price includes tax, registration, number plate and usually 1 year 1st class insurance and road tax.

2 hours ago, beau thai said:

Surprised by your negative views on Honda. I am not a Honda ,but to my eyes, the 'new' civic is a great design, and the new Honda City engine seems technically advanced, relative to others here.  The City is on my shopping list but I am waiting. There was talk of govt helping out the motor industry here by adding 100.000 to the trade in price, to stimulate new car sales. Not sure if its still under discussion, or 'filed'

The tech in the Honda Civic (equivalent is the Mazda 3 or Mazda CX30) is lagging far behind. The styling has changed sure but that’s just eye candy. If you read the motoring journals/journalist that is the general opinion. 10 years ago Honda had everyone beaten now its at best 4th/5th place.

The city engine may be OK but if the Skyactive-X gets released in Thailand it will be far behind that. I don’t know how it compares to the current Mazda engines. 

The cabin quality of the Mazda 2 is superb much better than the equivalent Nissan 

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The cabin quality of the Mazda 2 is superb much better than the equivalent Nissan 

Agree, have a Mazda 2 and it's a brilliant small car.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:08 PM, Sheryl said:

Thanks! 2 questions:

1. Did you get the armour coating as a freebie from the dealer or have it done at added expense? I live in a rural atea and het lots of scratches from brambles etc so like the sound od this.

2. Why only the current year? I sm thinking to get a 2019 make. ??

If you will be the one who pays for “coating” And you prefer not spending much  then you don’t have to coat the whole car. The hood and front bumper are the most important. And don’t forget that front clear film bra can protect your car against rocks as well.  

Edited by The Theory

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

If you will be the one who pays for “coating” And you prefer not spending much  then you don’t have to coat the whole car. The hood and front bumper are the most important. And don’t forget that front clear film bra can protect your car against rocks as well.  

So the coating does protect? Others seem to have said it does not.