I am not from the UK-I am British

bkk6060

16 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

He is either from Scotland, Wales, or England, but NOT Northern Ireland, UK is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, Britain is England, Scotland or Wales.

Put frankly, he was stating a fact, and yeah, we consider ourselves to be British, not United Kingdom subjects, thats why on our passports it states United Kingdoms of Great Britain (British) and Northern Ireland 

Most Northern Irish people identify as British. There's a wikipedia page on the subject with polls and all sorts, but they are all perfectly entitled to call themselves British, Irish or both.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Yes maybe he is ex-army and had a hard time there during the 'Troubles'. Or maybe its the opposite and he believes that Northern Ireland should be reunited with the Republic of Ireland and not united with Britain as part of the UK.

Northern Irish are still British.

Great Britain, therefore, is a geographic term referring to the island also known simply as Britain. It’s also a political term for the part of the United Kingdom made up of England, Scotland, and Wales (including the outlying islands that they administer, such as the Isle of Wight). United Kingdom, on the other hand, is purely a political term: it’s the independent country that encompasses all of Great Britain and the region now called Northern Ireland.

Do not forget the outlying islands - 555! For reference, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are Crown Dependencies.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

On 6/12/2020 at 4:39 PM, soi3eddie said:

I'm perplexed with his answer. Maybe he meant he was not from the UK he was English. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland includes; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (The UK). Now on the other hand if you asked a Scot, also from the UK, where they were from, what answer would they give?

I am Scottish, but certainly not proud of it, they did not have the guts to vote for independence, and I am not patriotic to Britain either, all my admiration really goes to the Irish who, unlike the Scots, fought and died for their independence.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:52 PM, cyril sneer said:

sounds like he doesn't want to be associated with IRA bombers, I don't blame him

You are talking about the Provos, do not associate the original IRA with them.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:04 AM, bkk6060 said:

After I said this he corrected me and said: I am not from the UK, I am British.

That means he's Celtic, Roman, German, Danish or French. 

England is named after the German Angles...Ang Land.  LOL.  What a <deleted>. ????

Born in Canada and considering myself to be Canadian, I've found this whole thread enlightening, as the national/geographic distinctions of the UK/Britain have not always been clear to me. In some ways, it reminds me of my pet peeve when people from the US call themselves "Americans," as if they own the whole continent. Not even "North Americans"; they take the whole land mass as their own! (For full disclosure, I have to say I left Canada when I was 17 and then spent about 30 years living in the US before moving to Asia.) Mind you, "United Stateser" doesn't sound very good, does it? I always call them "people from the US" or "citizens of the US." Mind you, on the wide spectrum of problems in the world, my little pet peeve rates pretty low, I'll admit.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:18 PM, stouricks said:

Doesn't being British mean you are from Great? Britain ie England, Scotland or Wales, whereas the United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland.?

No it doesn't. I'm British but not from the UK. I'm British because my father was, not because I was born in Britain and I don't even have to visit the place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

He is either from Scotland, Wales, or England, but NOT Northern Ireland, UK is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, Britain is England, Scotland or Wales.

Put frankly, he was stating a fact, and yeah, we consider ourselves to be British, not United Kingdom subjects, thats why on our passports it states United Kingdoms of Great Britain (British) and Northern Ireland 

You and all similar posters are wrong. I'm British because my passport says I am, but I wasn't born in any country of the UK and never lived there till late in life. I didn't have to live there to have a British passport.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, Lacessit said:

I responded Australians are born without class distinctions.

yes. I have seen some of that in the bars... no class at all... [sorry, you opened the door] 

just kidding, I don't like drunks from any countries... ok when they are sober but most drunks I have seen are boring and repetitious... 

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No it doesn't. I'm British but not from the UK. I'm British because my father was, not because I was born in Britain and I don't even have to visit the place.

Absolutely!

My daughter Mildred is British because of me and what I put on her birth certificate.

One day she will visit my birthplace; England.

• Thanks 1

I have spent a large part of today wrestling with an online application form, for verification of my UK issued pilots licence.

Place of Birth? No Problemo.

Nationality? No problemo.

Country of Birth?

Type in the first few letters, "please choose from list":-

(The correct answer is Scotland)

It will not accept any of:-

Scotland

UK

United Kingdom

Great Britain

British {anything}

England

Ireland

Northern Ireland

Kingdom of {anything}

Europe

{Anywhere in United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland}

(I didn't try Wales, but it's not on the list)

It WILL accept most from Antigua to Zimbabwe.

It will not allow one to proceed to the next page without an acceptable answer, and the penalties for lying are expensive if not draconian, and will invalidate the whole process.

This from the UK Civil Aviation Authority, one of the more sane aviation authorities in the world. 

Back to the paper/pdf version!

13 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I have spent a large part of today wrestling with an online application form, for verification of my UK issued pilots licence.

Place of Birth? No Problemo.

Nationality? No problemo.

Country of Birth?

Type in the first few letters, "please choose from list":-

(The correct answer is Scotland)

It will not accept any of:-

Scotland

UK

United Kingdom

Great Britain

British {anything}

England

Ireland

Northern Ireland

Kingdom of {anything}

Europe

{Anywhere in United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland}

(I didn't try Wales, but it's not on the list)

It WILL accept most from Antigua to Zimbabwe.

It will not allow one to proceed to the next page without an acceptable answer, and the penalties for lying are expensive if not draconian, and will invalidate the whole process.

This from the UK Civil Aviation Authority, one of the more sane aviation authorities in the world. 

Back to the paper/pdf version!

I've struggled with this same thing for years. It's a war of attrition trying to fill online forms in (i'm also Scottish) but its a case of running the gaunlet through all the options you list above until you strike something.

Surely it cannot ans should not be that complicated, yet this thread shows otherwise. 

IN LOS, first and foremost you are a farang or a farang khee nok. Whatever distinctions you make after that is irrelevant. That guy from the golf course is clearly a farang khee nok. 

Edited by thecyclist
Unfinished

The US immigration asks you to fill in a short form before getting fingerprinted.  I put my country of birth as UK and when they entered into their system, behold - I was Ukrainian.  I tried to correct with Great Britain but that made my country Gibraltar. Neither Wales nor Scotland were valid options so we agreed that for immigration purposes, I would be English. 

• Haha 1

In the days when I ran around with an Australian passport, I was an Aus citizen and a British subject.  Then I took on a Brit passport....a Brit subject and citizen of the UK and colonies.  Well I won't go on with the other passports since then.  

However, when the right situation arises, I say I'm British, but I mean from England.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:22 AM, Lacessit said:

I can remember an Englishman telling me to be born British is to win the lottery of life. I responded Australians are born without class distinctions.

Everyone in Australia is treated equally?

My wife is British, but was not born in the British Isles, therefore not born in UK, any Crown dependency or Overseas Territory.

She acquired citizenship. Joanna Lumley identifies as English, according to Wiki, was born to an English mother and Scottish/Eng!ish father. Wiki identifies Cliff Richard as British, having been born in Lucknow, India, with complicated ancestry.

Just saying, it is possible to be a British Citizen and not 'come from the Uk'. 

Edited by Scott Tracy
Spelling correction

14 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

This subject was discussed ad nauseam on a thread before. Those from Northern Ireland will have "British Citizen" in their passport and are British, the dispute was settled after a court case. Look it up so we save arguing about it

23 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You're....at least we can write English correctly

That's just as well, because you all certainly don't speak it the same way. More dialects and accents than a Persian bazaar.