Thailand travel bubble in chaos: Plans for international flights between participating countries put off indefinitely

webfact

2 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I have a 28 year lease on a house in thailand would this be proof of residency . to get back if i were in the UK. and a valid retirement visa   

No.

Added note your on a "permission of stay" That's temporary POS.

Edited by DrJack54

Thailand expects to delay plans for 'travel bubble' on virus worries

2020-07-08T080024Z_2_LYNXMPEG670IK_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-TOURISM.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Immigration officers stand in front of an empty arrivals hall at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International airport amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Thailand, June 3, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand expects to delay plans for so-called travel bubbles given a resurgence in coronavirus infections in countries that had managed to contain the initial outbreak, a senior official told Reuters on Wednesday.

Thailand partially lifted a three-month ban on foreign visitors this month and had been planning to further boost tourism, a key contributor to its economy, by creating travel bubbles later in the year with countries like Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong that had managed to contain the virus.

But fresh outbreaks are creating uncertainty, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said.

"The travel bubble that was going to begin in the fourth quarter could be delayed," he added. The government had previously said the travel bubble could begin in September.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-08

"We adjusted our forecast for foreign arrivals this year to 8.2 million from 10-12 million," Yuthasak said.

Thailand recorded 6.7 million foreign arrivals in the first five months and is allowing business travelers and tourists seeking medical treatment to enter for the rest of the year.

The government this month will roll out a $722 million (£574.89 million) domestic tourism stimulus to boost revenue.

Tourism, mainly international visitors, is crucial to Thailand's economy. A record 39.8 million foreign tourists visited the country last year and spent 1.93 trillion baht, accounting for 11% of its GDP.

Thailand on Wednesday marked 44 days without a local transmission. It has reported total 3,197 virus infections, with Thai nationals returning from overseas accounting for new cases.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

the world economic clock has been reset by a giant.

It's not a giant , it is so small that one needs an electron microscope to see it ... but it's impact on the world is gigantic .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

Please show us accurate research that 20% confers immunity 

In general, we can say a significant portion of a given population already have immunity or seem impervious to the virus right from the get go- perhaps 20-60% depending on the virus.  So, imo the hypothesis has some merit.  When it comes to covid 19 of course we simply don't know, and that's why we shouldn't also be so dogmatic in our opposite views.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is a bit of both plus that the surge in cases in the south & west have been disproportionately in younger people as that is who rushed out into bars etc when they reopened.  What remains to be seen is whether this will be followed by a spike among older people. They do after all often live in the same family.

The death rate often peaks several weeks after the rise in infection numbers, probably too early to tell yet. Though one Texas doctor i saw on the news stated the patients they are seeing now are ten time sicker than patients they were seeing in March/April.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

while the government figures out what countries should be in the bubble over the next couple of months.

Don't hold your breath, they're evidently not in any hurry to make a decision.

If they do not open up to the EU soon and cancel their 14-day quarantine so that they can get started in all the empty hotels on the tourist islands, they will face a huge bill on the other side of this virus ????

• Like 1

several countries in the region qualify,get on with it.japan s korea vietnam hk etc but not china.why- it lies.tourism and travel wont catch with these crazy rules either.100k insurance only an island to travel in,groups ahhh social distancing ha ha etc.its almost childlike.the economy must expand its the worse prognosis in asia.high up there in the world.tourism and manufacturing a deadly double so......manu demand they cant help its external but eu is opening and usa to  some degree but tourism at a regional level must start or it goes to the wall.theres several countries there,here they dont test.why?its obvious why.you wont find cases if u dont look.theres not a massive no of them but they are here ,clusters exist everywhere even in aus china japan s korea so.......tracking and....testing will cure that.so we wait till foreigners come in then increase tests then bingo we have a scapegoat.more control. the govts side stepped a no of issues and stays in the driving seat,the rich get richer and the poor get the picture.same old story but when will the masses choke on this swill?they are obedient and gullible thats for sure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The reason why China was on the list is that Thailand would Not Dare not to include China in, and what? say no to the really big boss to the north?...

When they are building them a railway 5555

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

i think its smart but the amnesty needs to be extended and families somehow need to reunite. I am in Thailand and have nothing back in Aus for me. Would have to stay in a hotel until it blows over which i certainly dont want. Married with kids here that need me so hope this amnesty is extended. 

I'm in the same boat. Hoping for some news on the visa amnesty soon. I was planning to apply for a new 1 year visa based on marriage at Laos or Vietnam but both options are closed indefinitely. 

50 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

In general, we can say a significant portion of a given population already have immunity or seem impervious to the virus right from the get go- perhaps 20-60% depending on the virus.  So, imo the hypothesis has some merit.  When it comes to covid 19 of course we simply don't know, and that's why we shouldn't also be so dogmatic in our opposite views.

There's a big difference between contracting the virus and being contagious to those around you but without symptoms VS somehow being immune to the virus.

I haven't read or seen anything like what you seem to be suggesting about any significant portion of the previously un-infected population somehow being "impervious" or immune to the virus itself. Once again, opinions offered, but no link to any credible supporting evidence.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Maybe Thailand is being wise. According to some research, the virus has mutated into a more 'catchable' form, so opening borders could bring it back in.

Also, a few people who have gone to Govt hospitals have told me some patients get whisked away as Covid is feared. That may be exaggeration or it may be a precaution for anyone who shows Covid-like symptoms. I hesitate to say it, because there is a view the govt is downplaying the actual # of cases, but since multiple people have told me, I mention it so anyone who has become complacent in Thailand can be reminded that precautions still make sense, especially those above 60, of which many expats reading here are. It doesn't hurt to try to stay safe.

Regarding the economic impact, 'seedcorn' is saved for rainy days. It's now raining. Thailand has built up a sizable amount of FX reserves since 1997, and if there was ever a time to use them for the benefit of the people, that time is now. People are hurting badly. The majority of BKK hotels remain closed, and even the ones open are furloughing or rotating staff.  Some work one week, then get 2-3 weeks off....without pay. Help them get through this! (Yes, I am well aware such concern for the Thai people might take a little prodding of the govt, but if they ever want to gain real popular support, aiding the people would be a pretty nice way to do it.)

Because Thailand has some accumulated wealth in govt coffers, it need not make the decision between opening and saving the economy, OR keeping things closed and suffering the economic fallout. They can use Thai monetary reserves to buy time until more is known about the virus, better treatments become known and available (such as how HIV doesn't have a vaccine, but has truly effective treatments), or there is actually a working vaccine.

This is an unprecedented time in modern history, so there is no set path or 'normal' solution. Day by day.....

Whats the fate of the common flu if I may ask?