TAT deputy governor dashes hopes of 2020 reopening for Thailand’s international borders

webfact

6 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Didn't they? It surely benefits them in many ways.

Thank you David Icke, I guess it was either a deliberate act on the part of the Chinese, effectively declaring biological war on the entire planet or the rich Lizard people who run planet Earth from secret locations.. 

Actually I think its the hygiene community who wanted to boost sales of surgical masks. ????

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

There is a far worse and more insidious disease going around than Covid-19.

It doesn't have a name yet, but, symptoms include:-

Denying science.

Promotion of conspiracy theories.

Making false equivalencies (flu vs covid).

Denying the efficacy of proven methods of fighting the virus (masks, distancing, testing and tracing).

It seems to degrade the ability of people it infects to critical thinking and it may just lower IQ.

It seems to be spreading fast judging by the posts on this forum.

So how did they manage to convince the thousands of scientists all over the world that are experts in virology that it was harmful when it is not? Do you not think they would have noticed whilst they are working 24 hours to create the vaccine? How also does the conspiracy work?Did the Chinese political leaders meet with Trump and every other leader at some secret location to plan this huge global conspiracy? After which they then brought all the hospitals all over the world on board to take part in the conspiracy... Then Brazil dug mass graves, filmed them on the news but they were actually bags of sand and not people? Please tell us broadly how the conspiracy works, who is responsible and what the point of it is? 

The export situation is starting to move & estimates are that 87% of last year so it is not all doom & gloom.

Legal immigrant workers are required to do 14 days quarantine which the employers are paying for (2 to a room).

Sometimes swallowing the bitter pill makes the long term forecast better.

NZ is a classic example of a country that is going to take it really slowly & they rely on tourism to a big extent & their tourist areas are really hurting as I am here but may be for the better in the end

Only 59 dead in Thailand at the peak of the epidemic. In February / March I and a few of my friends got mildly ill. What's the worst that could happen even if the tourists were back?

I have not seen anyone go to the hospital because of covid-19, however what I see is that a Thai couple committed suicide in their house 500 meters from mine 2 days ago . They weren't as old as the deaths from covid-19. They had a restaurant business on a boat, but no more money because of covid and the lack of tourists.

This is the ONLY serious impact of covid-19 that I will have seen around me:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mung said:

If his prediction is correct, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's a gross overreaction at this point, and Thailand needs to learn how to live with this virus just like most of the other countries have. Either they don't understand this or they don't have the capacity, resources and facilities to handle domestic infections 

Or they gotta restructure Thai economy to not be reliant on tourism... Seems like a military dictators wet dream.. 

3 hours ago, dallen52 said:

They still evade the point about the thousands of people like myself who are in relationship with a Thai partner still waiting for the ok to get back.

We are not tourists...

Agree and in the same boat. Am hopeful they'll let us back after this 2nd wave in Victoria subsides, which now seems to be under way, maybe sorted by mid Sept. Be good if we can get Thai visas and Australian approval to head back October or November. Bloody quarantine be a nuisance but they might let us home isolate my lady tells me ????

• Thanks 1

Thailand seems to be betting a lot on Chinese tourists coming back but the situation in China is very dire. The gigantic floods are decimating the farmlands and many cities. The last thing on their list of priorities is a holiday in Thailand.

Western countries could also face now a long deep economic recession, maybe even depression.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think you're in for a surprise, this is going to be pretty widespread until the disease goes away.

Oh the disease with a 99.6% recovery rate. ???? This is nothing more than a scaredemic.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hobz said:

Or they gotta restructure Thai economy to not be reliant on tourism... Seems like a military dictators wet dream.. 

You mean before they starve or commit suicide because they see no way out and are up to theirs necks in debt?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mung said:

If his prediction is correct, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's a gross overreaction at this point, and Thailand needs to learn how to live with this virus just like most of the other countries have. Either they don't understand this or they don't have the capacity, resources and facilities to handle domestic infections 

Have people thought that this is a Chinese game ,kill of Thailand as its known ,no tourist. ,no bars ,no girls ,kill of the sex trade. ,send everybody back to there farms. ,and Thailand. will be the feeding bowl of China. ,,,,,

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It's my belief that whilst many tourism reliant businesses have gone under, there are far more that are clinging on, using all of their savings and bank loans to limp through to the 'high season' of the X-mas and new year holidays and the belated Chinese New year. IF, this TAT prediction comes true - and I hope it does not as I am stuck outside away from my wife and daughter - then Thailand is about to fall apart big time monetary wise and the tourism industry  will be so devastated that their simply will be no support structure for the amount of tourists the TAT wants later.

The PM may find that by the new year with no tourism and no exports and mass closures  the Thai people will rioting more openly. 

There is simply no available holistic strategic thinking within the organisations/bodies having oversight of the tourism industry or economy in general. It is simply reactive or fingers in the air forecasting. I too am in your position scheduled on a BA flight back next month (which will not happen) and while I could go through the labyrinthine hoops and huge expense associated with getting back ,I’m not prepared to do all that and will await probably into next year the next knee jerk policy change when the consequences of their strategy finally dawns on them. And while everything is reasonably calm in Thailand at the moment I would not want to be there if the ???? hits the fan at which point I could consider bringing the wife back to UK as she has British citizenship 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The export situation is starting to move & estimates are that 87% of last year so it is not all doom & gloom.

Legal immigrant workers are required to do 14 days quarantine which the employers are paying for (2 to a room).

Sometimes swallowing the bitter pill makes the long term forecast better.

NZ is a classic example of a country that is going to take it really slowly & they rely on tourism to a big extent & their tourist areas are really hurting as I am here but may be for the better in the end

Nobody i know in exports believes that exports are rising. I fact i would say they are continually going South.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

At least we know where we stand and can now forget Thailand as a tourist destination. 

If Thailand doesn't want Farang tourists them tourists will just find another country to go too where their tourist money will create jobs.

When them tourists go to another country and see how much more they get for there tourist money in other countries They won't be coming back to Thailand.

That is a lot of lost income for Thailand and a lot of lost jobs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donga said:

A few facts:

1. There is some broad immunity each flu season plus many have the annual vaccine. Covid has to be managed very carefully because that level of immunity is just not there. Many hospital systems struggle to cope now, let alone if they allowed the virus to spread rampantly.
2. On top of the lack of broad immunity, the Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) is calculated to be 0.65% by CDC for Covid vs 0.1% for flu. That six times involves a further strain on medical resources. Comparison with flu has to be kept in context.
3. Levitt has some interesting views, though been proven wrong about the potency of Covid. Both he and Prof Ben Israel were talking about three month lifespan for the virus, which has clearly been inaccurate. The video is out of date, for example Israel, which he discusses, is now undergoing a second wave worse than the first.. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

There is no denying the severity of Covid or need to manage. Pity so many countries are using blunt tools.

I don't subscribe to the full court press of most countries, as believe face masks from the onset would have saved so many lives and economies. WHO and western authorities should hang their heads in shame on the slow adoption of face masks outside of Asia and for the destruction of so many livelihoods.

I've been seeing some suggestions that there is some form of immunity and that some patients don't even have antibodies which seems to be baffling that experts so not enough is known about this virus to make much more than a guess as to immunity at this stage it's a bit early to say I believe.

As for the infection fatality rate how does it compare with a new flu virus in a pandemic such as 1918? that seems to be a more realistic comparison to make to keep it in context is what I would argue.I think the flu fatality rate is averaged out over a much longer period so it's not a fair comparison.

Sweden's pandemic is pretty much over which lasted about three months by letting it rip and can now continue on with life and their hospitals weren't overwhelmed.

I agree that the jury is still out on masks and other methods of "fighting" the virus rather than dealing with it.I personally prefer Sweden's softer approach. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not so, just spent 8 days all inclusive in Phuket, cost was 35,000 thb and flights from Bangkok were under 6,000 baht for 2 people.  Rented a car while there, and spent another maybe 10,000 on outside things.  A few extras in the resort were 5800 baht, so a total of just under 60,000 but for 8 days at a 5 star resort where prior the trip would have run me around 150,000 baht.  I know still expensive for many but enjoyable as there were maybe 20 others at the resort in total, and Phuket is starving for domestic travelers.  PM if you want.

20200809_063237.jpg

IMG_20200808_161239_347.jpg

20200808_070216.jpg

I wouldn’t say just under $2000/£1500 wasn’t cheap for an 8 day holiday irrespective of the prices pre Covid.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I wouldn’t say just under $2000/£1500 wasn’t cheap for an 8 day holiday irrespective of the prices pre Covid.

It's a decent deal for a 5-star all inclusive. But yes you can get a bungalow with a fan and eat at street stalls for less.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

"Trusting Individual"?  meaning you pay your money for something which has a possibility of being cancelled and then trying to recover the money !

Isn't that the same as booking flights. You can always change your dates free with this trip company. I have never had a problem except with my flights and those you book separately yourself with whomever you fly.

11 hours ago, Mung said:

or they don't have the capacity, resources and facilities to handle domestic infections 

I think you've nailed it. It is all about keeping the hospital system afloat. The Italians got overrun, the French just managed, and the Germans handled it with ease. Now these countries are trying to manage the number of infection so that the COVID caseload  doesn't impact too much other admissions. 

Speaking at a webinar hosted by Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office and TravelMole, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, deputy governor for international marketing at TAT, said that there has been no talk of or timeline issued for reopening the country to inbound or outbound leisure travel during weekly Covid-19 national meetings.

Chattan who?  Shhhhh....the DEPUTY GOVERNOR FOR INTERNATIONAL MARKETING has spoken.  Of course there's "been no talk" simply because it's too early to make that kind of assessment.  How dumb can you get and still breathe?  He should know better than to speculate about such a serious matter, especially when your near the bottom of the political food chain. Move on...nothing to see here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mung said:

no tourists allowed and even married husbands with kids in thailand should be allowed into thailand until december 2021 for the safety of thais and farlang here thats the best solution 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

no tourists allowed and even married husbands with kids in thailand should be allowed into thailand until december 2021 for the safety of thais and farlang here thats the best solution 

As far as I am aware non Thai people with family in Thailand can apply to return with all the conditions required.