Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi rider relied on foreign tourists - now he has nothing

webfact

Odd story. I give it a suspected 4 panokios. He's in front the the Big C that doing (most likely) its usual business. The Big C where I'm at is not anywhere slow (normal level). Around town things may be slow in the bar/nightclub area but I doubt it at Big C. If many more MC taxi are competing at Big C it needs to be stated. As the story stands I only see someone looking for a handout. 

I talk to the guy picking up carts at Makro and he's sweating. He get 300 baht/day and doesn't complain. If we have cold water we give him some, but sometimes he thanks us but says he has water. He's hoping that they will move him inside next month. 

Smart workers should move out of the get rich tourist areas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Motorcycle taxi rider scammed foreign tourists - now he has nothing, fixed it for him

Most of these motorcycle taxis have fixed prices for the popular destinations listed at the rank. They're not too extortionate given they have to compete with the baht buses. A few bad apples for sure though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

500-600 baht a day working in construction. Yeah, right. Probably no skills at all in this business.

500-600 is normal for daily pay construction job. If monthly is less a little.

9 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

I am sure Cambodians, Burmese etc don't get much more than 300baht a day.

I not know about Cambodians in Pattaya.. But I sure/know Burmese man in South get 500 daily construction. Sure.

If smart/good skills they get “per meter”. Is more than 500 daily.

eg. 120 baht  per sqm tile work, brick is 50 per sqm, cement rendering is 60 sqm, chiam 20 per meter 

Install window 300 per window, slide door 700, wood/plastic door 250-300.

300 a day will only be weak or fat woman not have skills.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Yinn said:

500-600 is normal for daily pay construction job. If monthly is less a little.

In big cities and tourist resorts.

Upcountry more like 400-450 for a bricklayer / plasterer or painter.

Now, with people losing their jobs in the cities etc and returning home there are more workers available for construction which keeps wages down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scammed said:

he can thank the government decision to shut down

10 hours ago, webfact said:

said he used to rely on foreign tourists

Foreign governments?

2 hours ago, scoupeo said:

What about saving when he was able to scam by overcharging hundreds tourists daily ?

Spent all the money in new mobile phones and beer ? so sad ! but i already spend my money to feed stray dogs ????

So he rode hundreds of tourists daily but only made 400-500 baht. So, say, 2 baht a trip? Shame on all those tourists for scamming him. You must have been one of them, since you know, and I doubt you have any money to spend feeding stray dogs. 

Hope he finds something in construction w/ a fair wage then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

And so coronavirus altered the environment and habitat of TVF posters. As they were forced to stay inside more often, they needed to exercise their fingers more to keep active,

Yes we have all noticed that from your postings

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he used to rely on foreign tourists - now there are none. 

yeah, but your countrymen don't want any more tourists entering thailand! one of your ministers said they are dirty... calling them names

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is hard to be sympathetic for these guys, so many of us probably have had a negative experience. I used one a few weeks ago to go between WS and LKM and he drove like a maniac and was rather surly and impolite. Not so much as a thank-you when I tipped him quite well. 

15 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Most of these motorcycle taxis have fixed prices for the popular destinations listed at the rank. They're not too extortionate given they have to compete with the baht buses. A few bad apples for sure though.

Not in Phuket

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was going to post something similar. When farangs abounded they had good days, but now they know what it was like for the BGs in low season.

If it's low season for the BGs, how is it not also low season for the taxi drivers?

• Haha 1