Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

On 8/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, BritManToo said:

Never understood this, I don't come here to interact with the locals beyond simple commerce, and all the shopkeepers and 'service providers' seem happy enough to take my money.

I take "the locals" to mean bargirls...and yes their attitude does tend to change decade by decade, especially when you're hit the 60s and 70s. As for the "trusted" medical care...probably means free medical care.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seik said:

Salmon multiple times a week is pretty bad for your health, as a big fish it has a high concentration of heavy metals... I suggest mixing it up with some smaller fishes, perhaps ones containing omega 3, excellent for the brain. I do agree that farang (although it's getting more and more popular among thais as well, hence the amount of fatties going about) eat way too much bread.

I'm good, thanks, esp. as most unlikely to get pregnant. Not a bad idea, though, to substitute some other fish for other meats like chicken, fish, or pork, however. Worked for Jack LaLanne.????

Fish and shellfish in this category, such as salmon, catfish, tilapia, lobster and scallops, are safe to eat two to three times a week, or 8 to 12 ounces per week, according to the FDA.

--https://www.keckmedicine.org/are-you-eating-too-much-fish/

34 minutes ago, moontang said:

Not bad on the surface, but you gotta factor In that you have a one in three chance of getting a beer less than two months old, and a one in four chance of it being served at the temp recommended by the brewery..that gives you a one in twelve chance of getting what you are paying for..but buying fresh 490 ml Heinekens for under 60 THB, and drinking them on the beach is loads of fun, and I bring my USB speakers and am not subject to the horrifically bad music at the bars.  About the same caliber of girls out on the beach...all broke with kids, let alone an entire family tree that was having financial troubles even before this mess.  

Pah... I do a lot better in beer bars than GGBs when it comes to getting a cold beer... and GGB ones cost 160 baht. 

I do very well at home serving myself perfectly chilled beers, so much so, I am frequently disappointed outside. Watch out for the sand in them cracks.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Not bad on the surface, but you gotta factor In that you have a one in three chance of getting a beer less than two months old, and a one in four chance of it being served at the temp recommended by the brewery..that gives you a one in twelve chance of getting what you are paying for..but buying fresh 490 ml Heinekens for under 60 THB, and drinking them on the beach is loads of fun, and I bring my USB speakers and am not subject to the horrifically bad music at the bars.  About the same caliber of girls out on the beach...all broke with kids, let alone an entire family tree that was having financial troubles even before this mess.  

I think you have just described the future of tourism here.  ????

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Pah... I do a lot better in beer bars than GGBs when it comes to getting a cold beer... and GGB ones cost 160 baht. 

I do very well at home serving myself perfectly chilled beers, so much so, I am frequently disappointed outside. Watch out for the sand in them cracks.

Sit at home drinking a beer from your fridge, and order a take-out from ThaiFriendly.

ThaiFriendly deliver anywhere in Thailand, no need to pay the go-go beer or girl prices.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sit at home drinking a beer from your fridge, and order a take-out from ThaiFriendly.

ThaiFriendly deliver anywhere in Thailand, no need to pay the go-go beer or girl prices.

ThaiFriendly, and all of the other apps, are cutting out the middleman, the bars and gogo's.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moontang said:

Not bad on the surface, but you gotta factor In that you have a one in three chance of getting a beer less than two months old, and a one in four chance of it being served at the temp recommended by the brewery..that gives you a one in twelve chance of getting what you are paying for.

What you get is what you paid for. Man up & roll with it.

8 hours ago, moontang said:

buying fresh 490 ml Heinekens for under 60 THB, and drinking them on the beach is loads of fun

Oh, that must be LOADS of fun.???? But why travel? Just drink 'em on the curb outside the 7/11, man. Me, I just paid a whole 90 baht for a draft (jeez, how many ml was it? Now I can't sleep!) and had some good laughs, and more, while comfortably watchin' 30 half-nekkid wimmin dancing to rock (thru JBL speakers) & runnin' around. You can have yer sand, street meat, and little USB speakers.

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

ThaiFriendly, and all of the other apps, are cutting out the middleman, the bars and gogo's.  

My favourite GoGo has 30 naked pretty girls dancing naked. All of them as fit as a scrapyard dog. Phowar!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nout said:

My favourite GoGo has 30 naked pretty girls dancing naked. All of them as fit as a scrapyard dog. Phowar!

Pattaya is for sure the paradise for sex tourists in the world. And from what I can see they will do everything that it stays like this. So I would not worry. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 9:56 AM, bert bloggs said:

Dude ????

all i said was "why would anyone want a chick with a dick"? 

i cant understand it ,i know some look very pretty ,but at the end of the day they are a man ,no matter what they think or do . and i dont fancy men . if you do ,i have no problem with that at all.up to you.

Not everything can be easily  understood by everybody.     Jingthing has tried to give you an elementary education.

Somewhere in the past, I've read that some of those who protest the loudest about ladyboys, gays and such likely have strong latent homosexual tendencies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

Not everything can be easily  understood by everybody.     Jingthing has tried to give you an elementary education.

Somewhere in the past, I've read that some of those who protest the loudest about ladyboys, gays and such likely have strong latent homosexual tendencies.

Believed only by the ladyboys, gays and such.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thats me last night but was a bit greedy with the delivery order and 3 arrived !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twocatsmac said:

You want to sit in a cold dark room without windows paying double price for beer watching 30 fat women dance while being deafened by the DJ.

Tell yourself your living the dream man. 

I’ll take the beach with some cheap cold ones thanks. 

Since you weren't there, how would you possibly know? Such total nonsense can only arise from sour grapes.???? Not cold, not dark, don't want no window (that was good), women not fat, music not overly loud to prevent conversation and quite listenable. Beer a great value for all that--and more.???? Oh, and I got the beach too whenever I want it. Why would anyone ever want to leave Pattaya? Next!

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 2:19 AM, kinyara said:

Scooters Soi 6 is owned by an Englishman and they were operating an extended all day happy hour of 60 baht on beer since they reopened up to closure. Didn't save them from the lack of custom on that street unfortunately. 

The Soi was dead pre Covid let alone now.

Everytime couple of us went it was the same plenty of Girls over the last few years no question but punters....no

In times past it would be hard to tell with the closed bar style but this opening frontage style has been catastrophic all round. Thats the sole reason numbers dwindled

6 minutes ago, Chivas said:

The Soi was dead pre Covid let alone now.

Everytime couple of us went it was the same plenty of Girls over the last few years no question but punters....no

In times past it would be hard to tell with the closed bar style but this opening frontage style has been catastrophic all round. Thats the sole reason numbers dwindled

Not the sole reason ........

5 years back I got 50bht/pound, then it dropped to 40bht/pound.

Having 20% less cash to splash is one of the many reasons I don't go to bars in Thailand any more.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not the sole reason ........

5 years back I got 50bht/pound, then it dropped to 40bht/pound.

Having 20% less cash to splash is one of the many reasons I don't go to bars in Thailand any more.

Well yes but likewise I could say I was getting 90 Baht to the £ in the halycon days of 1997/98

Times have changed worldwide and the internet is hugely to blame albeit none of us could live without it now (just think for a minute what would immediately end lol)

As you get older some ponder on what they've done hitting on "working girls" for 30 years and what was very very highly amusing for a long time, it frankly no longer is for me. Yes I still have a bit of fun occasionally no question but nothing stays the same

Now the youngsters in the 20-30 age group see so many different opportunities that none of us had pre internet.  This Covid has completely finished Pattaya. I simply cant see it remotely recovering to 2019 levels for a long long time

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

As you get older some ponder on what they've done hitting on "working girls" for 30 years and what was very very highly amusing for a long time, it frankly no longer is for me. Yes I still have a bit of fun occasionally no question but nothing stays the same

Best of all worlds, a woman you can live with at home and have children with, who'll probably be a bit rubbish in bed, and a girl you can meet for dirty sex once a week that you can change as often as you like.

Why limit yourself to one or the other?

Pattaya can provide both.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Best of all worlds, a woman you can live with at home and have children with, who'll probably be a bit rubbish in bed, and a girl you can meet for dirty sex once a week that you can change as often as you like.

I thought you lived up-country or am I confusing you with someone else.?

As regards the beer, I don't drink as much as I used to and with enough places doing large ones for 70 and small for about 50 I can still afford to drink in bars. And shock/horror sometimes I even pay 75 or 80 for a small one because it's a bar I like. 

3 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

You want to sit in a cold dark room without windows paying double price for beer watching 30 fat women dance while being deafened by the DJ.

Tell yourself your living the dream man. 

I’ll take the beach with some cheap cold ones thanks. 

I will take 2/3! Seriously, I was sat in a cool room, a plus, yes drinking overpriced beer, but watching 40 or so pretty and young girls dancing in very sexy and titillating outfits. Music not excessively loud, just not to my taste... I was quite enjoying the experience.....

Sitting in 36degC heat with sand in my butt has it's limits! Variety is the spice....

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's called a moral compass.....

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I will take 2/3! Seriously, I was sat in a cool room, a plus, yes drinking overpriced beer, but watching 40 or so pretty and young girls dancing in very sexy and titillating outfits. Music not excessively loud, just not to my taste... I was quite enjoying the experience.....

Sitting in 36degC heat with sand in my butt has it's limits! Variety is the spice....

I don’t want to watch “young girls dancing” that look like children

and I don’t like overpriced beer.

Fat butts don’t cope well with sand and 36degC 

but hey that’s your variety eh?

Edited by twocatsmac