These Are The Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

ChipButty

1 minute ago, CraigInBangkok said:

wow ... really surprising they reached asia .... they were never a huge band, even in the UK 

They had played in Japan and China. We’re doing a date in Bangkok and one in Vietnam on the way.  Played at a small venue and Gedge hung around afterwards and spoke to everyone. Really nice guy.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:27 AM, Moonlover said:

One of the great, maybe the greatest fusion guitarists. This one's a bit long and you'll have to be patient before the great man steps up. Enjoy John McLaughlin.

Thanks for a great thread @ChipButty

Wonderful, Love the flute and vocals, the whole thing is brilliant!
How a legendary musician like John inspires young musicians

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Funny listing. I stopped after page 11 because it was  all the same; Almost all white American or UK males pre 1985. 1 female, a handful of Afro American and a couple Latin from USA.

The world of music did not stop 30+ years ago. it is not  only UK and USA.  Ryo Kawasaki, June Yamagushi, Yngie malmsteen, Sungha Jung and 100's of others.

Cheer up, lad, all contributions welcome I’m sure. Bring summat to the table of your own life music choices and share with the young-at-heart members here to peruse.

Meanwhile, here’s some men with ridiculous bushy sideburn mutton-chops to help get you in the Xmas mood in these difficult times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Back in the 60's me and a mate went to Newquay for holiday we rented a caravan and they where staying in the next caravan Sweet, they drove an old red van doing the season down there 

Newquay? Lad, you’d need a Kings ransom to live there now, aye, right posh it is. Reading your comment, funny thing life sometimes. Some of the best times were had when I had very little in the way of attachments and worldly things. Further down t’road, when I’d collected more baubles, there were less good times and many more headaches. But there was always the music.

Talking of which…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHaKiuKgXg&list=FL67lKy6NKTfpYPzku873k6g&index=51  (link only)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Newquay? Lad, you’d need a Kings ransom to live there now, aye, right posh it is. Reading your comment, funny thing life sometimes. Some of the best times were had when I had very little in the way of attachments and worldly things. Further down t’road, when I’d collected more baubles, there were less good times and many more headaches. But there was always the music.

Talking of which…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHaKiuKgXg&list=FL67lKy6NKTfpYPzku873k6g&index=51  (link only)

We got on a Coach all the way from Manchester to Newquay

51 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Cheer up, lad, all contributions welcome I’m sure. Bring summat to the table of your own life music choices and share with the young-at-heart members here to peruse.

Meanwhile, here’s some men with ridiculous bushy sideburn mutton-chops to help get you in the Xmas mood in these difficult times.

He sounds like a bundle of fun send your beer flat

52 minutes ago, billythehat said:

I'll play that for my wife Christmas day

On 12/19/2020 at 11:02 AM, ChipButty said:

Joe Bonamassa is a blues guitarist who has been in the industry since he opened for B.B. King when he was just 12 years old. He trained with guitar legend Danny Gatton. Bonamassa is known for his extensive vintage guitar and amplifier collection, especially the Les Paul “bursts.”

Joe-Bonamassa-20201118154938-20201118154938.jpg

I was waiting for Joe, he has spent a lifetime making that guitar sing. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 9:41 AM, CraigInBangkok said:

Good to see Jimi Hendrix and David Gilmore made the list even if it was on page 2.

I'd like to add Tom Morello(Rage Against The Machine) , Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore(Sonic Youth) and of course 

Nigel Tufnel(Spinal Tap)

Thanks for mentioning Ranaldo and Moore, and broadening this beyond 60s/70s Classic Rock. I would add their guru, Glenn Branca, who died just a few years ago ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Didn't it?

BTW, my favorite was Duane Allman.  Maybe not the best technically, and he died way too early (scooter accident, go figure).  But nobody plays slide guitar like he did.

Probably the most talented I've ever seen is Roy Clark.  Ready to get a lot of guff on that one, him being country and all.  But it's just an opinion. 

You are entitled to your opinion, The whole idea of the thread in your eyes who did you think was good, so lets listen

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Didn't it?

BTW, my favorite was Duane Allman.  Maybe not the best technically, and he died way too early (scooter accident, go figure).  But nobody plays slide guitar like he did.

Probably the most talented I've ever seen is Roy Clark.  Ready to get a lot of guff on that one, him being country and all.  But it's just an opinion. 

Alvin Lee (born Graham Anthony Barnes 19.12.1944 – 6.03.2013) was an English singer and guitarist, best known as the lead vocalist and lead guitarist of the blues rock band Ten Years After. Alvin says… one of my favourite tracks from my album ‘1994’. It has George Harrison on slide guitar and is one of the best solos he ever played (2:13 - 3:08). It’s a masterpiece, so sensitive. Hearing George made me play more sensitive too! I’m very proud of this one.

Before this thread runs its course, I have to mention one great artist. Some folks may not agree that I should mention him here, so for you there's Al Di Meola to drool over.

But me, I'm fixated on Stanley Clarke. What a brilliant player that guy is. So here's one for all you bass fans out there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Something lost with the Spotify and other format/supply generation is the not seeing/owning some of the great album artistry and design on the covers, especially some the double fold designs. Have a couple left in my vinyl collection, although they look a wee bit dog-eared now. Some even had posters which,  if still present, push the value up considerably. Cheech & Chong issued an album based on their music score for the movie ‘Up in Smoke’. Inside the inset sleeve was and extra-large gummed rolling-up paper. Can’t remember what that may have been used for…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWmU0AMo5A&list=PL2S2uKN8Su6CUfJFTnXxHk5eD36D5FmW1