28 Thai provinces to be ‘highly controlled’ (red) zones as CCSA proposes greater restrictions

Jonathan Fairfield

28 Thai provinces to be ‘highly controlled’ (red) zones as CCSA proposes greater restrictions

2021-01-02T045304Z_1_LYNXMPEH0101F_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A medic wearing a protective suit and a face mask is pictured at a mobile laboratory for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) testing in Bangkok, Thailand, April 9, 2020. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

Thailand’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) will propose even greater restrictions on businesses and people's movement in many provinces to help control the spread of the new wave of coronavirus infections in Thailand.

On Monday, the CCSA will propose that 28 provinces will become ‘highly controlled’ (red) zones. 

The provinces are: Ang Thong, Ayutthaya, Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chonburi, Chumphon, Kanchanaburi, Lopburi, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phetchaburi, Prachinburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ranong, Ratchaburi, Rayong, Sakeao, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Saraburi, Singburi, Suphanburi, Tak and Trat.

Pending sign off from the Prime Minister, the proposed restrictions could be similar to the increased restrictions put in place in Bangkok on Friday, such as closure of high-risk locations, a ban on non-essential cross provincial travel and work from home where possible. 

In Bangkok, bars, pubs, clubs, gyms, schools and massage parlours are just some of the many businesses that have been ordered to close.

If the proposed increase in restrictions are approved they are likely to run from  4th January to 1st February, CCSA spokesperson Dr Taweesin said. 

The remaining provinces will be categorised as ‘controlled zones’ (orange) or ‘highly monitored zones’ (yellow). There are  currently no longer any provinces in the lowest level of control zoning, with 53 out of 77 provinces now confirming at least one COVID-19 case.

Announcing the proposals during his daily COVID-19 media briefing on Saturday, Dr Taweesin said that while restrictions will be escalated and there will be some disruption to the opening of business, there are no plans for a curfew. 

An all out national lockdown was also not mentioned.

The English language CCSA briefing with Natapanu Nopakun, Deputy Spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where the proposed restrictions are discussed can be watched below.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-02

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, indieke said:

My girl-friend is in quarantaine hotel in Bangkok until 14 th January. it be too stupid she could not make it to Pattaya now! <deleted> covid! 

i think "going home" would come under essential travel, you should be all good

my mate came out today and had no problems getting to hua hin

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 2

The restrictions a

13 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i think "going home" would come under essential travel, you should be all good

my mate came out today and had no problems getting to hua hin

The new restrictions are not yet in place, we will have to see.  Yes she has her name on a contract, but she only has a tourist visa... 

16 hours ago, DLock said:

It was always going to be the 4th January...after everyone spent money on the holidays...

Now, the smart money is on that COVID has been travelled to every corner of Thailand...and I guess in the next 7 - 14 days will tell...assuming they actually test...

If you don't trust testing, just look at the hospitalisation and death rates. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

My wife speaks very good English and not with an American accent, if you spoke to her on the phone you would not know she is Thai and she can swear like a trooper

Ideal as a government spokesperson. She could tell the plebs to get their asre into gear and stop flocking about ignoring social distancing.

• Like 1

I was advised by what I consider to be a reliable source that Prachuab. including Hua Hin was going to be shut until the end of the month. They will do the same as last time i think, which is to order a few days closure, then spring a month on the end. Then wait to see what transpires. A few hours after I was told this,  the schools were told to close for a month. Not looking good around here. 

18 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

Probably studied somewhere outside Thailand. I wonder if there is any Thai who can speak good English without having lived in the west for a while.

I can't think of a single Thai person (nearly all Professionals - but sadly, no English Language teachers among them) who speaks extremely good English that didn't spend time abroad - no, I don't mean just a holiday. But to be fair I have only actually met about 20 such people in 18 years

Edited by ChrisKC
added comment

13 hours ago, meechai said:

Silly rabbit you have not seen errors till you see the mess only starting now in LOS

The fact they were only testing new arrivals & not the greater infected population for months & months was the tip off.

As for shutting it all down? Heheh ever see how Thailand buys their food daily? Ever see how the majority of Thai's eat

from common bowls? etc etc etc

Consider COVID what it always was...like smoke released into a room. It was released in Thailand same as everywhere else in the world..... last winter

"Shutting it down" does nothing to remove the smoke

Here we go again. If it’s been here since Christmas last - albeit untested- why so few deaths recorded? Does this virus differentiate between tested and untested population and only kill the tested ones ? Thailand has a death per thousand population rate of 0.09! One of the lowest in the world , regardless of lack of testing! 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

Probably studied somewhere outside Thailand. I wonder if there is any Thai who can speak good English without having lived in the west for a while.

What a ridiculous statement. Have a chat with my 13 year old daughter some time and tell me if you can tell the difference between her English and that of a kid who lives in the west. Or any of her friends for that matter.

you need to leave your racist stereotypes at the door.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farma said:

You might be surprised. The ~ 8 yo Chinese/Thai daughter of our local Vet speaks perfect American accented English. I was shocked how good she communicated. I complimented her and she said she learns from videos on the internet.

Wonderful; now she should be used as a National Advertisment to all Thai Children as most are only interested in Cartoons !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1