Two Japanese men test positive for COVID-19 in Chiang Mai after visiting Chonburi

rooster59

Two Japanese men test positive for COVID-19 in Chiang Mai after visiting Chonburi

jap.JPG

Image: Spring News

Two Japanese men have tested positive for COVID-19 in Chiang Mai after spending time in Chonburi.

The two men, who flew in on the 5pm Thai Smile WE116 flight on 30 December from Suvarnabhumi, tested positive after colleagues urged them to get tested once they became aware they had travelled back from a highly controlled zone.

The two men, who live in Chiang Mai, visited restaurants and entertainment venues in Sriracha between 28-29 December 2020 before returning to Chiang Mai on 30 December 2020.

They then took a taxi to Astra Condo Chiang Mai and on 31 December visited a local 7-Eleven.

Despite showing no symptoms, colleagues advised them to get a test on 1 January. They tested  positive and were admitted to hospital.

Health officials said that through contact tracing they found 126 people who came into contact with the men. 26 of those contacts are deemed to be high risk, with the other 100 deemed low risk. 

Anyone who flew on Thai Smile WE116 flight on 30 December is urged to observe their symptoms and get a COVID-19 test. 

Source: Spring News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-03

• Sad 2

Alternatively , they might have had it before they left Chiang Mai. 

If they like entertainment venues they might have frequented some before leaving and picked it up from areas exposed to those that crossed from Burma with it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Alternatively , they might have had it before they left Chiang Mai. 

If they like entertainment venues they might have frequented some before leaving and picked it up from areas exposed to those that crossed from Burma with it.

Many of the bars and 'entertainment venues' in Sriracha are Japanese only.

58 minutes ago, clokwise said:

I'm sure there were tens of thousands of families doing the exact same thing last week. We've already seen how this scenario plays out in Europe and the USA. We're doomed.

I wouldn't see quite like that but it's a shame when you hear CM has cases when they were completely free of cases previously I believe. 

Sukhothai where I live had 1 last year at the beginning and recently 1 more because a woman travel to an infection area and came back to Sukhothai. 

Fortunately no more cases reported in Sukhothai so far but there are still hundreds visiting the Historical Park next to our village daily. 

1 hour ago, clokwise said:

Unfortunately it's too late already. Most, if not all, of the country is likely to be completely locked down in a couple weeks. They SHOULD have already barred all flights, trains, buses, and and inter-provincial travel for the long holiday, at a bare minimum.

I have a large Thai family, spread around all corners of Thailand, who all insisted on going to grandmas house for new years. I chose to stay safe and stay home, but it doesn't matter, my wife will be returning home today bringing any virus with her.

I'm sure there were tens of thousands of families doing the exact same thing last week. We've already seen how this scenario plays out in Europe and the USA. We're doomed.

My wifes family also acts, like if it is only foreigners and other strangers, who could possibly be contagious with Covid 19. They feel no need to wear masks, practice social distancing and disinfect hands, when 30 family members join together in a relatively small home. For this reason I have barely seen any of them the last 10 months.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably false positives, now they are stuck in hospital with no symptoms 

Multiple tests would be given to confirm this. But it would suck - one could be stuck in a  field hospital with actual infected people. I can imagine you would get eventually infected from them. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Suspect many people have covid but are unaware as asymptomatic. Large numbers (usually without symptoms) are found in West due to high testing. Many doctors have argued that the tests are extremely sensitive and can detect the virus at levels where it gives no symptoms, isn't infectious and just leads to immunity. Their argument is that generally we test for disease after symptoms arise rather than testing healthy people, as such standard medical procedure has been reversed to a bureaucratic procedure.

A large percentage of the population carry all sorts of bacteria and viruses including TB but have no symptoms whatsoever, it is regarded as normal. Various virus and bacteria only start to spread geometrically when the body's defense systems drop. We in fact I believe carry about 2 kg of microscopic organisms around with us, they are required for life. Animal testing for subjects raised in a sterile environment die once released into the normal environment, why all this sterilizing hands and surroundings, especially for children, is counterintuitive to life.

Covid is of course better not to have as has dangers for a tiny percentage, however like all micro organisms, it can't be eliminated. The way to deal with any pathogen is to have a healthy body that keeps it under control (isolate the weak and old only if vulnerable), however there is no profit angle to that, look at the billions pharma companies are already making from covid. Our world is being trained to accept dodgy vaccines as the only way to deal with our natural environment, its a con, and all about control or profit.

How does one develop immunity if an asymptomatic carrier has no immune response (i.e. show symptoms)?

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

How does one develop immunity if an asymptomatic carrier has no immune response (i.e. show symptoms)?

Perhaps the immunity will be there but not last too long.

Another factor to study: Is significant response generated by Covid in the lungs or blood vessels, as opposed to nasal or pharyngeal zones where swab testing is done? With PCR, a positive will eventually come out even if the viral material is rather scarce. The shedding that infects others logically comes from pharynx or nasal passages, so there could be a concentration of virus there a few days after infection, while the lungs remain clear.

Yes 4 new year parties in my soi alone in the mooban. Thais just cannot control themselves. They have to be controlled. Role on full lockdown! From shrimp markets in the morning to gambling dens in the afternoon then on to restaurants bars and kareoke. It's as bad as the english rushing to the beach at the slightest sign of sun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

My wifes family also acts, like if it is only foreigners and other strangers, who could possibly be contagious with Covid 19. They feel no need to wear masks, practice social distancing and disinfect hands, when 30 family members join together in a relatively small home. For this reason I have barely seen any of them the last 10 months.

Have you seen them at toilets straight out door or two fingers under tap no soap, Scary 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Nonsense.

Absolutely no need for a genuine lockdown (which few in Thailand actually understand). Still relatively small numbers, controllable by appropriate restrictions, the like of which we saw last year.

Don't worry mate you must be used to it by now. The doom and gloom merchants are thick on the ground on this forum.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

I look forward to the day the government would start to randomly test 10.000 people per province

At this stage that would be pointless, testing for antibodies would be more appropriate for a survey test like the one you're suggesting but that's more about measuring it after the fact.

The antibody tests however are not a very reliable indicator for previous infection, many people in one of the groups I'm a member of 100% had COVID but they tested negative for the antibodies on the tests they were using a month or so later - this seems to be the way it unfolds for many people, they were definitely ill with COVID though.