COVID may have taken 'convoluted path' to Wuhan, WHO team leader says

snoop1130

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

That would depend on whether they extracted, processed it and inserted a certain unexpected 'cleave' into the genome to run experiments in one of their bio hazard labs, essentially turning it from an animal virus which humans generally won't catch into one that's easy for humans to catch...because that's what appears to have happened.

I was reading an article this morning from the ABC and one of the conclusions was that it was unlikely to have transmitted directly from bats, but from bats to another animal and then to humans. This was the case with MERS and the Hendra virus in Australia. It is an interesting read for the none paranoid people.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-02-10/covid-coronavirus-tracing-animal-origins-bats-sars-hendra/13081684

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Are we blaming the Brits and Southafricans for the strain that is worse too. If not (and I dont) then stop blaming the Chinese. That is my opinion seems a lot like yours.

Its unlikely it came from a lab, if there was a cover up then for sure the US or other countries could prove it. Besides one can see if a virus is made in a lab or not.

Unless anyone can prove this was done on purpose then its an accident. We are not blaming Japan for the reactor breach either. I think only die hard anti Chinese people think this is done on purpose. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/coronavirus-lab-escape-theory.html

This article explains the origin of technology used in the Wuhan lab to create bat viruses that appear to be perfectly natural. The starting point is a bat virus collected in nature. No one is claiming (as far as I know) that there was an intentional release from the Wuhan lab, but due to the asymptomatic infective ability of this virus, it is much easier to escape undetected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, placnx said:

This article explains the origin of technology used in the Wuhan lab to create bat viruses that appear to be perfectly natural. The starting point is a bat virus collected in nature. No one is claiming (as far as I know) that there was an intentional release from the Wuhan lab, but due to the asymptomatic infective ability of this virus, it is much easier to escape undetected. 

A lab with bio-safety protocols and educated staff vs a filthy wet market at the end of an international wildlife trafficing route where animals are kept and slaughteredi n overcrowded, unsanitary conditions.

But in end the China controlled WHO team will conclude it was not the fault of anyone in China.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but there is no hard proof of this at all, and some people were saying it was created and released on purpose (extremist think like that). I would not exclude an accidental release of the virus. But so far it has not been proved. But even if it was from a lab. You can't really hold China responsible. Like your article said it happened in the USA too. So accidents happen. Same like the japan reactor breach. Stuff happens and unless it was huge negligence i find it a bit hard to blame a country.

It would be difficult to prove the escape hypothesis unless a whistleblower emerges some day. Accidents do happen, and this virus would have been difficult to contain in that case. The Wuhan level 4 lab has been visited by outsiders in the past and been criticized for sloppiness. As for the negligence issue, if any escape happened, it was compounded by the willful coverup of the outbreak by local officials, a factor not in serious dispute.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes WHO informed the world.

Feb 3rd 2020. GENEVA (Reuters) - World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Monday there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” in trying to halt the spread of a coronavirus that has killed 361 people in China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-who-idUSKBN1ZX1H3

One then wonders why governments worldwide were slow in response

WHO Feb 3rd ………….“We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent,” Tedros told the WHO executive board, reiterating his message from last week when he declared an international emergency.

So late January was when the WHO declared an international emergency. Then some countries took action, whilst others opted for hydroxychloroquine and disinfectant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Genetic sequencing has been done and it's been proven it wasn't from a lab.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220300528

"The spike glycoprotein of the new coronavirus 2019-nCoV contains a furin-like cleavage site absent in CoV of the same clade"

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

WHO Feb 3rd ………….“We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent,” Tedros told the WHO executive board, reiterating his message from last week when he declared an international emergency.

So late January was when the WHO declared an international emergency. Then some countries took action, whilst others opted for hydroxychloroquine and disinfectant.

One would also assume the WHO's statement that there was no need for travel bans on 3rd Feb 2020 was also evidence based, that didn't work out to well for the global community taking that advice.

As for hydroxychloroquine and disinfectant. I'm not American and have no interest in Trumps previous rantings, the world is bigger than just the US

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placnx said:

Very comprehensive article, thanks. I had read bits of what was included before but not everything put together like that. Personally I do not agree with his conclusions but still agree that it is possible. I lean to the more probable, natural transmission.

And it is obvious that many posters on here did not read the full article.

Edited by GreasyFingers
addition
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, rabas said:

They just got there, can't possibly have learned much or analysed anything. Yet, they state, as fact, the one thing the Chinese CCP party desperately wants the world to believe.

You high lighted the exact same phrase I would've. Clean house in the WHO, hire some Ozy and NZ doctors & scientist, and quit quoting the CCP and maybe some progress can be made. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spacex said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220300528

"The spike glycoprotein of the new coronavirus 2019-nCoV contains a furin-like cleavage site absent in CoV of the same clade"

Yeah. Proves it's not man made. Thanks!

Based on its genome sequence, 2019-nCoV belongs to lineage b of Betacoronavirus (Fig. 1A), which also includes the SARS-CoV and bat CoV ZXC21, the latter and CoV ZC45 being the closest to 2019-nCoV. 2019-nCoV shares ~76% amino acid sequence identity in the Spike (S)-protein sequence with SARS-CoV and 80% with CoV ZXC21 (Chan et al., 2020). I

• Thanks 1