How to move pictures taken on an Android Smart Phone to a laptop ?

Speedo1968

I would like to move photos from my phone and save on my laptop, so that I can attach them to either a LINE or Whatsapp message at a later date.

I have both messaging apps on both laptop and phone.
I did try an app ( can't remember which one ), it had many different steps and it moved some photos only and a lot of png images.
Saving images someone has sent to me is fine although not as easy with Whatsapp as it is with LINE.

Can anyone provide a simple step by step as how to move pictures from phone to laptop please ?

I have a RealMe C3 mobile phone that I plug into my laptop via the original charger USB cable and the phone will ask me what would I like to do, charge phone, transfer files or transfer photos/vids . I Choose photos and download them.

For me it is very simple.

Win ???? 

• Like 2

For the one way from phone to laptop, there is a simply solution via WiFi (assuming both are connected).

It's an ftp server app on the phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver&hl=en&gl=US

There are tons of other app to transfer via WiFi.

BUT: those that I had tested were either not free or "crippleware/trialware" (limited usage etc.).

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I suggest Bluetooth. Open the settings and click on Devices. On the right hand side of page is a notice to send and receive via Bluetooth. Open the Gallery on the phone and hold finger on each photo until a tick appears. Share to the computer. Job done.

Good suggestion.. exactly what I do.. works well.. 

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For the one way from phone to laptop, there is a simply solution via WiFi (assuming both are connected).

It's an ftp server app on the phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver&hl=en&gl=US

There are tons of other app to transfer via WiFi.

BUT: those that I had tested were either not free or "crippleware/trialware" (limited usage etc.).

I've tried those too. Slow and difficult to setup. 

As several others have noted, the USB cable commection is fast and easy. Your phone looks like a standard drive. So moving/copying is simple drag-drop. Just be sure to enable file transfer mode on your android phone as MTLS2005, noted. For some phones it happens automatically. 

Bluetooth and other wireless modes are normally much slower because of the packetizing and data error correction needed. With the cable method transfers are as fast as the phone allows. 

I avoid all the Google photo stuff because I don't want to feed the data monster. 

• Like 2

I use bluetooth although sometimes I connect directly to the computer with a USB cable.  USB transfer is much faster and may be better for you depending on the number of photos you have and their sizes.  If you are backing up hundreds of photos from your phone USB is probably the way to go.  I'm running pure Android 11 and when I connect my phone I have to go into Settings/Connected Devices and tell the phone how to connect to the computer.  Once connected I just open the phone's folder on the computer as I would any other USB device.  Then it's just a matter of finding where the photos are (usually in a folder named DCIM) and moving them over. You should be able to delete and add files to your phone from the computer if you like.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I'm running pure Android 11 and when I connect my phone I have to go into Settings/Connected Devices and tell the phone how to connect to the computer. 

One connected just pull down the Notification Bar. You'll see a Notification from Android System, and the current status (usually "Charging"), Tap once, Tap again for "more options". Now in USB Options, choose USB Controlled by : The Device, and Use USB for: File Transfer.

No need to go into Settings.

I hope my question is not out of line.

Up to last December when i transferred pictures using my usb cable all of the pictures

automatically went into the right month.

For some reason it is not doing that anymore,it shows (tells)it is going into the right month

but all of the pictures go to the very bottom of the pictures and accumulate there.

Not easy to find pictures anymore.

I also have google fotoos but i ca not figure out how to send pics from there.

When i want to send a picture it automatically goes to where the picture are on the pc and i have

to scroll a lot to find the picture i want.

Help please.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Google photos does it all.

Whether using Google Photos or any other Cloud service, once one begins saving data and images to the Cloud, then the process of transferring files from one piece of hardware to another becomes redundant. However, if one is still using an old model camera (not phone) without wi-fi then using an appropriate cable to download to the PC is unavoidable. It is still better even then IMHO to move everything to the Cloud. Unless you think they're out to get you of course.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

My favorite approach to this task is using the free Dropbox app on my Windows PC and my Android mobile phone.

Once installed and set up on each device, Dropbox gives you a free 2 GB storage account that automatically syncs your mobile phone photos both to your laptop and the Dropbox cloud for storage.

Once you set it and set it up, and turn on auto photo sync in the Android version of the app on your phone, every time you take a photo on your phone, it will automatically be copied via the Internet to your Dropbox folder on  your PC's hard drive and the Dropbox cloud.

Set it, and forget it. No cables to connect or hardware to plug in. The photos will be there on your PC.

BTW, just to be clear, the Dropbox sync does NOT remove the photos from your mobile device. Just copies each file over to your PC's Dropbox folder. So the photos will stay on your phone until/unless you delete them there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I didnt even know, but google saves your photo's in google one. Go there and log in with your google account.

Go to account storage and then you will see photo's storage, you can select them and download to your laptop.

Once i was playing in google maps and came upon photo's storage and tada photo's taken with my phone were there!

In a free cloud of 15 Gb, all had been set, synchronized without even me knowing this.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, just to be clear, the Dropbox sync does NOT remove the photos from your mobile device. Just copies each file over to your PC's Dropbox folder. So the photos will stay on your phone until/unless you delete them there.

Please correct me if I am mistaken but presumably if it is synching and you delete from your phone (eg you are running out of storage) would it not also delete from your synched devices?

On 2/26/2021 at 11:00 AM, alanrchase said:

If you have LINE and WhatsApp on both devices why don't you just use them to share the pictures?

OP - I wish to save the pictures on my lap top so that I can type my messages on the laptop ( easier for me as I can split the screen) and just add the selected picture.
It will also save memory on the phone.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:36 PM, RT555 said:

Best App is Handshaker for me. Plug your phone into USB, 

Automatically opens up, Select all & Export to a folder you name and that's it.

I have 45GB of photos on my phone.

This is for Apple or Mac, I think.
There is an app called AirHandshaker but most reviews say that it has a tendency to delete photos.

If your phone has a SD card slot, and if you have a SD card in there, set the camera to save photos directly to the SD card instead of the phone. This will allow you to save tons of photos to the card and not clog up the phone memory. Transferring the photos to the laptop also becomes way simpler, all you need to do is remove the SD card and insert it into the computer and you can then use Windows to copy/move/delete the photos as you choose. Then put the card back in the phone and repeat as necessary (remember to check that the camera is set to default save to the SD). A lot of the other methods of moving photos from Android devices messes with the dates/times of the photos. Not sure if later versions of Android have fixed that yet, but it has been a long time glitch in the software.