Rainy season expected to arrive prematurely in early May

snoop1130

The OP posted a photo ,OK from a  photo file of the Passak dam ,now you can walk under that railway bridge no water ,Passak dam about 30-40% full .

I do not know who the Maw-Doo, fortune teller was but I can not see it no proper rain much before the end of May .

I can remember the Songkran holiday we had rain most years ,but it must be at least 5 years since we had any rain at the holiday time ,climate change .

I do not know where iinterantionaliism lives ,not in Thailand ,April is the hottest month of the year always has been  ,the odd thunderstorms ,nice for a few hours, then  the humidity rises, then  as warm as  before. 

No where enough rain for the farmers,  so no cheaper food in fact fruit and veg will go up in price as the cost of growing them goes up ,due to irrigation costs no ,or very little natural water supply most certainly will not end the fires  ,and no jungle left in Thailand to burn. 

Maybe La Nian ,but not around here central plains ,been a drought for the past two years .

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

this year, as well as the last, are under la nina influence, so more rain and cooler winter.

that is only good for thailand - farmers can do rice 3x and the other crops, so cheaper food.

rain means also an end to jungle and field fires, so cleaner air.

in april it might be already cloudy, but small chance for thunderstorms.

Cooler weather is always welcome, even on holidays. So I would not bother with those forecasts for the next week.

Myself I am also planning a short brake the next week, before songkran.

Rainy season might be a problem only for tourists from abroad, who don't have much time and can't adjust much their journey to weather. But they are not expected to come this year

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I was going to go to Jomtien next week, but Weather Underground forecasts rain every single day from Sunday through Friday in Jomtien and Bangkok, 10-18 hours a day. Better get a move on, Thai Irrigation. 

I’m planning to go there next week

Any source to that data? 10-18 hours of rain a day seems bizarre for April 

Rainy season seems to have already arrived in Phuket. Heavy rains for the past few days and more forecast. The sea has taken on it's rainy season characteristics already and the red no swimming flags are out.

We have had an early start to the rain up here, several storms over the last 3 weeks. Last year had none until after Songkran. Not full on wet season yet as there are still cracks in the ground but the trees and lawn are responding to what we have had.

I guess time will tell. 'Possibly early May'... It was forecast for thunderstorms here today. Dark clouds for about 20 minutes, gnats <deleted> for about 2 minutes. Now...35 degrees, real feel 41 degrees, 47% humidity, 21 degrees dewpoint...high clouds, 10-12 kph winds.

9 hours ago, newnative said:

Hopefully, we will get enough rain to refill the Mabprachan Reservoir, which is very low.

Tell that to the numpties here that are watering their plants/gardens daily with hosepipes.....good job there are zero tourists otherwise it would be empty long ago.....

17 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I’m planning to go there next week

Any source to that data? 10-18 hours of rain a day seems bizarre for April 

I did in my original post, Weather Underground. But here is a direct link: 10 day forecast from Weather Underground

But I did notice in the hourly details that evenings are mostly cloudy. And rainfall amounts are not huge. So I'll go anyway. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details

21 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I was going to go to Jomtien next week, but Weather Underground forecasts rain every single day from Sunday through Friday in Jomtien and Bangkok, 10-18 hours a day. Better get a move on, Thai Irrigation. 

I fought through this very confusing/overloaded website but can't find a "8 to 10 hours a day".

Very unlikely. Thunderstorms any time possible but don't last for hours.

The total amount of rain seems in line with ECMWF predictions:

https://meteologix.com/th/forecast/1614295-pattaya/xltrend/euro/precipitation

Deselect all except the ECMWF values.

ECMWF=European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.

Significant rain only for April 4 and 5, max 15 mm. That's nothing for Pattaya.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, internationalism said:

this year, as well as the last, are under la nina influence, so more rain and cooler winter.

Indeed. Just checked this morning.

https://www.climate.gov/enso

Map of February 2021 sea surface temperatures compared to average shows a large swath of cooler than average waters in the central-eastern tropical Pacific, one of the signs of La Niña. The cool anomaly was weaker than it was in January, however. 

Are the terrible rains in Australia a foretaste?

la nina has already picked in november, and was not as strong as during 2010-12 disastrous floods in thailand and australia.

It will last for the rest of year.

The rainy season is already starting in the south, that's why meteo department is warning. Probably it will be stronger and last longer, into november

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kickstart said:

I can remember the Songkran holiday we had rain most years ,but it must be at least 5 years since we had any rain at the holiday time ,climate change .

Glad somebody else recalls this. You could almost set your calendar on it. Rains started just after Songkran.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

la nina has already picked in november, and was not as strong as during 2010-12 disastrous floods in thailand and australia.

It will last for the rest of year.

The rainy season is already starting in the south, that's why meteo department is warning. Probably it will be stronger and last longer, into november

The south always gets more rain than the rest of Thailand ,been  major floods  just after the new year for more than one year over the past few ,and we have not had a drop of rain, nor the rest of Thailand .

One reason a lot of fruit is grown down south ,and when I first come here nearly all the rubber was grown they . 

• Like 1

Well this has been our driest dry season in 11 years. Just North-East of Udon Thani, we have had only about 5 cm of rain in the last 6 months. But the wet seasons have been good for the last 4 years.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I fought through this very confusing/overloaded website but can't find a "8 to 10 hours a day".

Very unlikely. Thunderstorms any time possible but don't last for hours.

The total amount of rain seems in line with ECMWF predictions:

https://meteologix.com/th/forecast/1614295-pattaya/xltrend/euro/precipitation

Deselect all except the ECMWF values.

ECMWF=European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.

Significant rain only for April 4 and 5, max 15 mm. That's nothing for Pattaya.

Here's a link to the 10-day forecast at Weather Underground. Click on any date and you'll get that day's hourly forecasts. 

Weather Underground 10-day forecast for PAttaya