"War Against Sugar":  Thais eating nearly FIVE TIMES recommended daily sugar intake

webfact

22 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Dentists are going to be in demand in the near future.

In the future?

Walk major malls, walk parts of Pattaya klang rd. (every 50m a dentist), walk Pattaya south rd. more dentists than convenience stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't stomach Asian desserts. They're pure sugar. Fruit juices are called "smoothies". Of course sugar is addictive, that's why the industry doesn't let go. One thing that irked me during ASQ, the small fruit juices that came with each meal were sweetened. I had to poison myself with sugar to get my daily dose of vitamins.

I was surprised the other day to FINALLY see a canned ice coffee for sale in 7/11 with NO SUGAR. I tried the new 'reduced' sugar but it was still disgustingly sweet! 3 in 1 coffees are a joke......I have cut down my sugar a lot over the last 3 years. its hard to avoid it here though. 

......and they put tomato sauce on top of their pizza......Someone send help!

• Like 2

In Pattaya, Pattaya Tai, the Soi going south to Soi 17, across the street from Center Condo, there’s a place with terrific duck soup. I won’t go again because of the sweet liquid (I’m diabetic). The last time I was there a young woman got the same soup and added 12 teaspoons of sugar. Wow!

2 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I was surprised the other day to FINALLY see a canned ice coffee for sale in 7/11 with NO SUGAR. I tried the new 'reduced' sugar but it was still disgustingly sweet! 3 in 1 coffees are a joke......I have cut down my sugar a lot over the last 3 years. its hard to avoid it here though. 

......and they put tomato sauce on top of their pizza......Someone send help!

Not just tomato ketchup but in addition I've often seen loads of sweet mayo' getting dolloped on as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

it amazes me that they put sugar in everything including fruit juices..its ridiculous..I have learned that with most take out I order I have to ask no sugar

Starbucks too , I say No sugar even want to add to Matcha green tea which is sweet already 

Tell me a country that has plain milk with sugar in its supermarkets? Guess that says all.

Also I'm wondering that this hype with bubble and milk tea is never ending. It was years ago in my home when those drinks were popular and lasted only a few months until people found out how unhealthy those drinks are. At least they were made with real milk and not this palm oil sugar mixture, that's in almost every Thai sweet drink or desert. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It is a common sight in Thailand to see unsupervised children in 7-Eleven buying sweet drinks and snacks after school.

And right there is one of the major problems Thailand has.

Not the unsupervised Kids, but the absolutely horrendous number of 7/11 Shops that  there are now.

If all the product that 7/11 sold containing Sugar and Oil, were taken off the shelves, the shops would be almost barren of product..

And most of the " Sugar " you see being spooned into your Soup, is not Sugar at all- Its MSG

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I know.......believe me.....I know.....

Spent some time making a really nice Beef Strogannof, best of Oz fillet steak, real beef stock etc etc. Last item was a tub of sour cream. Stirred in the 'sour' cream.

First mouthful both me and her looked at each other, one of those <deleted> moments.

Checked the sour cream tub, yep, 25grams of sugar in it.

Gave it all to the street dogs, wouldn't insult my dogs with it.

• Like 1

This topic is making really angry. I am angry with the Thai parents feeding their kids kfc, mcdonalds and fizzy drinks all day every day. I even see them giving it to them for breakfast... its a disgrace. I go into school with my son and the younger kids are mostly fat or obese. They need educating.... and quick! They are wrecking their kids lives... sounds dramatic but its true and its very sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

And what else should you use instead to react with the yeast to make the loaf actually rise?

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Sugar in bread...in butter in everything which is what the sugar moguls love. 

That Thai  Farmhouse bread is too sweet , way over the top with sugar . Try making your own , recipe has to have sugar but not to the extreme that Thais have .

• Like 1