Sony Pictures to set up Columbia Pictures-themed amusement park in Thailand

webfact

Reuters.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

(Reuters) - Sony Pictures Entertainment has teamed up with Thailand's Amazon Falls to set up an amusement park based on productions from its Columbia Pictures studio, in the Southeast Asian country, the companies said on Tuesday.

The 14-acre Columbia Pictures' theme and water park, Aquaverse, will be open for public from October and feature rides and attractions based on the studio's popular movies including "Ghostbusters", "Jumanji", "Bad Boys", "Men in Black" and "Hotel Transylvania".

Amusement parks are gradually reopening across the globe as COVID-19 vaccinations gather pace. Walt Disney's two theme parks in California are slated to reopen later in April to a limited number of guests, over a year after they were closed.

(Reporting by Munsif Vengattil in Bengaluru; Editing by Vinay Dwivedi)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-07

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

You're a braver man than me if you would trust the safety of a Thai built amusement ride. Disaster pending.

Yeah, as there are never any problems with amusement parks in the USA or Europe/UK right? Only crappy Thailand would suffer that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, jinners said:

Yeah, as there are never any problems with amusement parks in the USA or Europe/UK right? Only crappy Thailand would suffer that.

Oh yes, I fully agree with you - but most other theme parks won't be built on top of  predominantly sand !

9 hours ago, webfact said:

attractions based on the studio's popular movies including "Ghostbusters", "Jumanji", "Bad Boys", "Men in Black" and "Hotel Transylvania".

I'd venture that parks like these would appeal mainly to kids, teenagers and young adults - which today means those born in 2000 or later. And so I thought the Columbia Pictures park was a little off the mark to promote attractions based on movies listed above, as most of them were released in the 90s. Heck, Ghostbusters was released in the 80s! How would these attractions resonate with the younger generation? But after some checking, I realised that these movies have remakes and sequels while some spawned into franchises, with some releases as recent as 2020/21!

I realise now that it is ME who do not belong to the target audience profile. And I'm out of it by a wide margin at that ????????????

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

You're a braver man than me if you would trust the safety of a Thai built amusement ride. Disaster pending.

Wasn't there a dinosaur theme park downtown in Bangkok, somewhere around Emquatier? Didn't it burn down or something like that?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DJBenz said:

This year? That seems awfully quick for a project of this scale?

Its reported here

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/columbia-pictures-aquaverse-thailand-1234944972/

that

"Aquaverse isn’t being built from the ground up. Instead, an existing amusement park is being retrofitted with IP from Sony-owned Columbia Pictures. Sony is only licensing its brands, "

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

Ghostbusters,Jumanji and Men in Black had quite recent sequels released in cinemas before the" Covidiocy" began.

But they were awful and I pray to God that those aren't the ones that they base the theme park on.  No one wants that.

6 hours ago, johng said:

Its reported here

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/columbia-pictures-aquaverse-thailand-1234944972/

that

"Aquaverse isn’t being built from the ground up. Instead, an existing amusement park is being retrofitted with IP from Sony-owned Columbia Pictures. Sony is only licensing its brands, "

Ah right, that's more reasonable then. 

21 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Wonderful idea!

The perfect location for this would be parliament, as a whole host of amusing characters is readily available on-site at no extra cost.

You know... clowns and standup comedians, Mr. Magoo-like geriatrics, token village idiots, melodramatic divas, operetta-inspired fantasy generals, a bumbling posse of Keystone Cops, sinister superhero villains, etc. etc. 

Hub of dramas