Eligibility for Thai yellow book (pink card)

Good morning,

There were a few posts on pink card usefulness yesterday but I would like to know if I am eligible for the "yellow book" and subsequently pink card.

I am in Thailand on an O-A retirement visa, not married and no children. My landlord will happily support me in person and with any documents required.

If I am eligible then I will go to the local amphur. I guess this is an old question but I cannot find the answer.

• Like 1

You are just a simple renter so there is no need for you to have a yellow housebook at all.. People with real homes are the ones that Amphue like to issue books too.

But on the other hand have heard horror stories about pure tourists coming here and got yellow book, horrific...

glegolo

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

In Theory, yes you are eligible. But it comes down to the local ampher requirements.

Most places its pretty straight forward, a translation of your name, property blue book, the usual copies of passport etc. But as Tonray says above, some amphers make up their own rules like you need to be married (you dont)

Hi again

Ok thanks. I will pop in one day and let's see!

18 minutes ago, tonray said:

It depends on the local Amphur office. I was told in no uncertain terms that first requirement was to be married. Living in Gf's house and with her permission not enough. I mentioned this to my married neighbor, who then went down with his wife and they told him they could not. So it seems like they just don't like processing yellow books for foriegners.

Which amphur was this please?

Married and had been here years but local Amphur said no, maybe too much work on their part or looking for a payment. Would rather not say where, but not Bkk. Rather wish now I had persisted 

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

I had a similar situation first they told us , only for married couples. but that is not possible yet. Since a few years they are surprised that I  still not registered at the Amphu , and the cam up with legalizing my passport and  translate it and legalize it .. But that I don't do yet for the costs and time it takes.  But now I will get my pension and now they want I pay tax here. I wen to the tax office to get a stamp that I don't need to pay tax in my country, because they deduct the tax before they pay out, but the tax office here can not do it. First I have to pay here 1 year tax and than they maybe give me the stamp. But I have to pay tax 2 times in this year and they told that I have to try to get my tax refund back in country. That can take 2 years, so no option. Very easy, If they don't want to register me, I don't live here and I don't need to pay tax too. Easy living than

• Like 1

I have asked this before;  what is the point of getting a 'Yellow book'  (Tambian Ban?)

I was told by Chiang Rai I/O that it was important that I get one, which I did, an since then have not found any advantage of having such a book.

So, my advice to anyone here is 'do not bother unless you have a good reason to do so.

As I remember, it needed getting passport and marriage certificate translated and certified, and visits to I/O at Chaeng Wattana  (WOFTAM)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If the owner of the house will supply the documents and support the process at the Amphur for a long stay renter then it depends on the Amphur to process the paperwork.  

I was merely talking about these Jomtien/Pattaya-tourists in my post, not longtimers that you "added" yourself..

glegolo

31 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I was merely talking about these Jomtien/Pattaya-tourists in my post, not longtimers that you "added" yourself..

glegolo

Many on here call long stayers nothing more than pure tourists, and not a resident, so my bad for believing you meant the same and that they were just pure tourists in that sense.  Maybe a clarification of tourists in the fact they are here only a short time and do not live here, might have been handy.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, mahtin said:

How about the covid vaccination application app requiring a pink card?

Seems could be useful to be able to register for that.

if you have one it is useful for that. But you only need a yellow house book to get the ID number. But not sure what will happen when somebody appears for the vaccination.

You can also get appointments by contacting a village health volunteer or a hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

But now I will get my pension and now they want I pay tax here. I wen to the tax office to get a stamp that I don't need to pay tax in my country, because they deduct the tax before they pay out, but the tax office here can not do it. First I have to pay here 1 year tax and than they maybe give me the stamp. But I have to pay tax 2 times in this year and they told that I have to try to get my tax refund back in country.

3 questions if I may

Who has told you that you have to pay Thai Tax on your pension?

Do you have a tax ID in Thailand?

Which country does your pension come from and what is the Double Taxation agreement between them and Thailand.

11 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

3 questions if I may

Who has told you that you have to pay Thai Tax on your pension?

Do you have a tax ID in Thailand?

Which country does your pension come from and what is the Double Taxation agreement between them and Thailand.

Yes I have a tax id number, and there is a agreement between Thailand and my country. And to prevent double tax I have to fill in a form and sent it to my tax office in my country. They will inform my pension fund not to withold tax and than I have to pay tax in Thailand.  But the taxoffice in my Amphur doesn't want to stamp and sign my form, but they said that they would like I pay the tax in Thailand.  So first I have to pay tax here and see how I get my paid tax in my home country back. 

• Thanks 1

You are certainly eligible for a yellow book and pink card (if you get first you can get the second  automatically o request with no additional documentation). 

Whether the ampur you live in will know this, depends, as does what they may require. My ampur had never before issued one and so initially took a "foreigner cannot" stance, I had to persist, call government helpline and have them talk to the official etc etc.  You might like to do the same as this tax business is nonsense.

Paying taxes is NOT a requirement, your ampur is making this up, probably because they do not know what the ruless actually are and just vaguely feel they need to be "strict" and are making it up as they go along.

I suggest you call Bkk govt helpline and have them talk with the ampur. Better that than change your tax payment arrangement etc.

Your eligibility is automatic if you own your condo. The people in charge of your amphur may 

make it difficult I had to wait several years for a retirement, then it was the most difficult thing I ever did. Others say it is easy.  I hear in other districts of Chiang Mai impossible unless you have been there for many years and have Thai children.

OP, yes you qualify for a yellow book and pink non-Thai card.

Whether you will be successful in obtaining those is up to the Amphur.

Requirements vary from Amphur to Amphur ( from a passport and 10 baht to insurmountable hoops to a plain “ foreigners cannot).

Visit your Amphur to get the list of requirements .

NOTE: it has also been reported in several cases that a donation to the Amphur Benevolent fund ( headmans wallet ) will facilitate the process.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Robin said:

I have asked this before;  what is the point of getting a 'Yellow book'  (Tambian Ban?)

I was told by Chiang Rai I/O that it was important that I get one, which I did, an since then have not found any advantage of having such a book.

So, my advice to anyone here is 'do not bother unless you have a good reason to do so.

As I remember, it needed getting passport and marriage certificate translated and certified, and visits to I/O at Chaeng Wattana  (WOFTAM)

Now there are reasons.

1. Land and Property tax.

They will charge the tax to you even if the place is your residence.

Last year I was ok, declared residence and no tax.

Now it is a requirement to have the name in house book. So I have to pay the tax or get the yellow book. 

2. As pointed out on this thread, with the ID you can get registered for vaccination.

I did not know that before. Presumably you are then classed as resident.

Edited by jojothai
correction

On 5/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, Peterw42 said:

In Theory, yes you are eligible. But it comes down to the local ampher requirements.

Most places its pretty straight forward, a translation of your name, property blue book, the usual copies of passport etc. But as Tonray says above, some amphers make up their own rules like you need to be married (you dont)

Maybe mention where you are and people can advise local requirements.

I didn't have any problem with the documents, no translations, only a couple of copies and a photo.

The only unusual thing was I had to wait for 6 weeks while they did a police check. I think they have stopped that as I know others have been to the same office and it's not been required.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

if you have one it is useful for that. But you only need a yellow house book to get the ID number. But not sure what will happen when somebody appears for the vaccination.

You can also get appointments by contacting a village health volunteer or a hospital.

Yes the ID is in the yellow book, but there has been reports of people having to enter a second number from the pink card to access the app.

That wasn't necessary for me as my details had been preloaded by the hospital. Even if you have a pink card, unless you have registered at a hospital with it, the hospital cannot at this time upload your details.

Different circumstances are leading to many wrong answers. For those with unanswered question a local contact would be the best course of action at this point in time. Even Thais inside and outside their area are having problems.

If you apply for a Yellow Book and the office says no, yo can lodge a complaint with the Dept of Provincial Administration and they will direct the relevant Amphur, District Office to issue the book as long as you meet all the stipulated requirements. Legally they are not allowed to refuse to issue one

On 5/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, glegolo said:

You are just a simple renter so there is no need for you to have a yellow housebook at all.. People with real homes are the ones that Amphue like to issue books too.

But on the other hand have heard horror stories about pure tourists coming here and got yellow book, horrific...

glegolo

It may be necessary if he wants to get registered for the Covid Vaccination........

On 5/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, glegolo said:

glegolo

Would you care to explain what are a simple renter and a real home PLEASE??? 

2 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Would you care to explain what are a simple renter and a real home PLEASE??? 

Again,,, OK A short time tourist coming here for 1 month or two then go "home" to falang-land again. These guys do not need any housebooks nor pink ID-cards in my opinion... And there is a huge lot of those in Jomtien/Pattaya by the way...

glegolo

• Like 1

So up to now, these smart, nice, friendly,  helpful officials just had the power to make farangs run in circles (around the photocopier, mostly).

Now they have the power over life and death.

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You are certainly eligible for a yellow book and pink card (if you get first you can get the second  automatically o request with no additional documentation). 

Whether the ampur you live in will know this, depends, as does what they may require. My ampur had never before issued one and so initially took a "foreigner cannot" stance, I had to persist, call government helpline and have them talk to the official etc etc.  You might like to do the same as this tax business is nonsense.

Paying taxes is NOT a requirement, your ampur is making this up, probably because they do not know what the ruless actually are and just vaguely feel they need to be "strict" and are making it up as they go along.

I suggest you call Bkk govt helpline and have them talk with the ampur. Better that than change your tax payment arrangement etc.

What government help line?

1111?