'Worth it': American expat in Thailand travels to Guam for vaccine, vacation

webfact

8 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

You might be right.  I would like to see your data.  lol.

I've met HUNDREDS of falangs in Thailand.....maybe less than FIVE were financially secure.   

I understand you will say, "You hang out with poor expats!!!"  I'm not hanging out with these people.  I meet them, we talk, and I learn very quickly they are penny pinching and worrying about whether the cost of a bowl of soup will go up to 30 baht  

I'm sure you have met THOUSANDS who sleep on cash....lol.  

I see them and wish Thailand would actually kick them out and raise the standard a bit for folks like myself.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

Another option to go to the Maldives and get a free shot of J&J which only requires one shot.  I assumed this was would not work out but apparently people have been getting their free shots in the Maldives. The advantage is you don't need to be a yank.  Book now while stocks last. 

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Many people are considering doing this.  And many have already done it.  I know of several people who've got back to the US specifically to get a vaccine.  Plus, you can visit family and friends, etc.

It kinda made sense when they announced the Phuket quarantine bubble.  You could quarantine for 7 days if you had a jab, and be able to roam around your resort.  Not stuck inside a room for 14 days.

Guam is a great place to visit.  Beautiful beaches, great scuba diving, a lot to do.  Hmmm...I might consider this, especially since there's no clarity as to when we can get a jab here.  Seems to be a constantly moving target.

i think you are mistaken.  14 days still required after being vaccinated.  tried to book 7 day package on Agoda yesterday and was flagged stating 14 requirement.  this could change after July 1?  i could handle 7 days.  14 bit of a stretch. 

Edited by malibukid
double post
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Many people are considering doing this.  And many have already done it.  I know of several people who've got back to the US specifically to get a vaccine.  Plus, you can visit family and friends, etc.

It kinda made sense when they announced the Phuket quarantine bubble.  You could quarantine for 7 days if you had a jab, and be able to roam around your resort.  Not stuck inside a room for 14 days.

Guam is a great place to visit.  Beautiful beaches, great scuba diving, a lot to do.  Hmmm...I might consider this, especially since there's no clarity as to when we can get a jab here.  Seems to be a constantly moving target.

i think you are mistaken.  14 days still required after being vaccinated.  tried to book 7 day package on Agoda yesterday and was flagged stating 14 requirement.  this could change after July 1?  i could handle 7 days.  14 bit of a stretch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob4u said:

He mad a smart decision to get a 1st world Covid vaccination and not the rubbish people are subjected to here when it never becomes available.

Yes, he did. I too will be getting the vaccine of my choice when the time comes regardless of how I need to do it.

As I generally don't travel very much at all and never for business then I'm not in any kind of rush.

We have all the time in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You still haven't answered the question:  What is the rush -- to run around the world trying to get vaccinated?  

Especially since non-essential travel is strongly discouraged in the middle of a pandemic.

19 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, he did. I too will be getting the vaccine of my choice when the time comes regardless of how I need to do it.

As I generally don't travel very much at all and never for business then I'm not in any kind of rush.

We have all the time in the world.

out of interest what is 'your choice'? I have heard Moderna followed by Pfizer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

After weighing all his options, he flew to Guam in mid-April not only to get a U.S. Food and Drug Administration-authorized COVID-19 vaccine, but also to get a vacation.

He had the option and finances... up to him.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why an idiot?  He's a businessman who needs the jab so he can do his job.  And he's going to Dubai for business shortly after he's out of quarantine.  Makes sense especially when he's got no idea when he'll get a jab here.

Guam's a lovely place to be.  And when he comes back, maybe the Phuket sandbox will be setup?

He's an idiot because you can get the vaccine in Dubai if you pay for it. Why not combine the two?

Seems he's got another 'agenda' here. Something isn't quite right.

Sincerely

MORRIS

Edited by KhunMorris
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

out of interest what is 'your choice'? I have heard Moderna followed by Pfizer

Yes, I would prefer the Moderna jab right now, mostly because that's the one they've been offering to younger people back in the UK. Something to do with less severe common side effects but I haven't really looked into it.

If I were 20 years or more older then I don't think it matters which vaccine you take but I would steer clear of the vaccines which have little to no information, by which I mean the Chinese and Russian vaccines although I do hear good things about the Sputnik vaccine I'm not sure what they've published.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhunMorris said:

He's an idiot because you can get the vaccine in Dubai if you pay for it. Why not combine the two?

Seems he's got another 'agenda' here. Something isn't quite right.

Sincerely

MORRIS

Hookers are good in Dubai also, but $600 / night. Maybe cheaper in USA ?

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

In Thailand, he said, he's had difficulty getting a vaccine and had to rely on a vaccine brand that the host country provides.

"It's all worth it," Sushman said, of going the extra mile to travel to Guam to get vaccinated.

Not a bad idea if Thailand only allows one or two vaccines to be provided to paying customers of private hospitals.

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why an idiot?  He's a businessman who needs the jab so he can do his job.  And he's going to Dubai for business shortly after he's out of quarantine.  Makes sense especially when he's got no idea when he'll get a jab here.

Void argument, because right now there isn't any "vaccine international passeport" system.

In the US... they give you a simple paper.

Therefore : just buy a "certificate" on the black market.

I think the guy is sincerely a "covidmad"... Terrified. He wants his vaccine. Good for him.

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

It actually takes 6 hours flight, 12 hours to and fro.

Not something that average people would do.

Bangkok to Tokyo is already six hours. Tokyo to Guam is three hours and about 37 minutes on top of that. I believe it's longer on the way back. So, the total will be plenty longer.

6 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

"The official vaccine policy of Dubai states that it does not currently offer vaccination jabs to non-residents and tourists.

However, The Guardian has reported that an exclusive concierge club by the name of Knightsbridge Circle has managed to secure a partnership with the UAE government in allowing private access to the Sinopharm vaccine for its members. "

Sinopharm? No, thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BTB1977 said:

What's the rush for a flue shot. I will be the one  last in line . Or even better not at all. 

You're one reason it will be years before we get back to normal.  Sad.

P.S. It's not the flu.  Do some research.  We might all be better off.