Over to you crypto fanboys

Susco

14 minutes ago, ukrules said:

What happens on the last Friday of each month?

I don't know, but we still have 6 days to find that out, unless you want to reveal the secret already

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

I don't know, but we still have 6 days to find that out, unless you want to reveal the secret already

In truth you should already be well aware of what I'm talking about if you're trading any markets, I'm sure someone here knows what I'm on about.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

In truth you should already be well aware of what I'm talking about if you're trading any markets, I'm sure someone here knows what I'm on about.

Are you aware that we aren't the last Friday yet, so your comment has no relation to my post at all.

On top of that, we are on a Saturday, and crypto trades 24/7

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

There's an astonishing lack of understanding about how markets work. That lack of understanding is why bubbles collapse and leave most folks in tears.

The biggest error is 'marking to market', as if everyone could realize that price if they chose to liquidate. A small player in an asset that trades sufficient size can be okay if he/she isn't greedy. He might be able to realize the last price, that is, the last market price. Too often in a bubble, however, the offer outruns the market, and the greatest fool chases the offer with his bid. Nobody wants to sell because they have convinced themselves they are on a 'rocket ship to the moon'. That creates a massive gap between the bid and ask, at least in size. Still, everybody marks their position to market, assuming they can realize that price.

Then selling enters the market. Everybody who wants to be long is already long, so the bid side of the market is thin. One seller can blow through dozens of price levels. This happened in Bitcoin in the last week or two, with the "asset" losing half its supposed value. Those who marked their position to market above $65K are beginning to realize the meaning of the old trader's adage: "A paper gain is a paper gain, but a paper loss is real money'.

The fact is, that high value was an illusion. Not every Bitcoin holder could realize that price. Only a few could. the rest, trying to escape a tumbling market, drove it all the way to where EITHER sufficient bids entered to support it at around $33000, OR ELSE longs decided to hold their position 'and wait for a rebound'. In other words, cover your eyes and ears and refuse to see what happened.

Gold and silver were like that in April of 1980. From over $800 gold tumbled to around $250 by the late 1990s, and silver went from $48.50 to around $3.  The Nikkei was like that in 1989. It was at 38,915.87, 'obviously on its way to 40K and 50K', but it never made it. It tumbled quickly to around 21000. Those caught with longs assumed it would rebound. The problem was everybody who really wanted to be long was already long. The bid side of the market got really thin.  Slowly the disillusioned longs began to liquidate. Still the bid side was thin. Eventually the Nikkei found a bottom at around 8000. Longs sat on underwater positions for decades. In fact, owing to the peculiarities of Japanese accounting, Japanese pension funds are still full of stocks bought well above 35000 basis Nikkei (accounting allows them to hold at 'higher of cost or market').

So where is the bid not thin in Bitcoin? $30K? $25K? $5K? Will those bids remain after a 50% drubbing, or will even those 'bottom fishers' begin to realize that Bitcoin is a useless 'asset' unless there is someone willing to pay more than you paid. It's a game and a fad, but when the fad ends, it ends. Those who had fun trading it, if they see a thin market and desperate underwater longs hoping to get out, will either abandon the market completely, or else place their bids 30-40-80% below the current market.

Often the end of bubbles is only seen in retrospect. It should have occurred to some people that when one crypto currency suddenly becomes 50 crypto currencies, the barrier to entry is pretty small. "Create your own imaginary crypto and get rich!'. So much for 'finite supply'.

I will borrow a gag line from a cartoon back around 2005. A teacher asks students, "Okay, then raise your hand if your parents DIDN'T create a crypto currency" (the original cartoon asked about hedge fund).

I've read somewhere that there are now around 4000 crypto currencies, give or take.  Doesn't look like we are going to run out of these any time soon. ????

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Few people can build a car company from scratch, as the capital requirements are enormous. One either needs a novel idea, is a great salesman, or has piles of his own cash. (Elon Musk sort of had all three of those, and exploiting each made him, for a time, the richest person on the planet, at least on paper.)

Only that Musk didn't build a car company.

Tesla was founded by Eberhard and Tarpenning, and Musk invested in it through the investment fund he was running, 1 year after the company existed

• Thanks 1

I wonder how poor terrorists and drug traders survived before the appearence of crypto :sad: I believe it was very difficult for them to receive all those millions USD by wire transfer to their banks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I wonder how poor terrorists and drug traders survived before the appearence of crypto :sad: I believe it was very difficult for them to receive all those millions USD by wire transfer to their banks.

cold hard cash was how they did it, no wire transfers, just cash deliveries just like the dope

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, ukrules said:

Friday comes closer, and since Musk most likely is now running a loss on his 1.5 Billion crypto investment, maybe he will make a statement on Friday about how much he loves crypto?

image.png.9273af0b0086856a13d0f1204e12a9cc.png

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Susco said:

Friday comes closer, and since Musk most likely is now running a loss on his 1.5 Billion crypto investment, maybe he will make a statement on Friday about how much he loves crypto?

image.png.9273af0b0086856a13d0f1204e12a9cc.png

A lot of derivatives expire on Friday, we can see this in action towards the end of some of the previous months.

Those 'dips' aren't people randomly selling.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

A lot of derivatives expire on Friday, we can see this in action towards the end of some of the previous months.

Those 'dips' aren't people randomly selling.

You call this "dips"?

I didn't see it the previous months making 50% dips.

You're right it aren't random people selling, it are the big player running for the woods.,

This is what is really happening.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-crack-down-mining-cryptocurrencies-093000184.html

The latest statement, however, still stopped short of an outright ban on cryptocurrency mining. It also did not elaborate on the measures involved or scale of this crackdown.

"We should expect the relevant departments, including law enforcement, to come up with detailed measures to ban bitcoin mining in the near future," Li said.

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2021 at 9:59 PM, The Cipher said:

...  If you don't feel comfortable buying crypto, don't buy it. In fact, if you're a retiree and you do feel comfortable, at least hesitate before establishing a (risk-controlled) position and make sure you know what you're buying and why.....

Sage advice and the voice of reason,

Some high-end retirees / pensioners who invested early and cautiously

are being racked with anxiety from FOMO,

The reality is there simply isn't enough time to recover from a huge investment mis-step because, well, we're not dead yet but we can see it from here.

At some point I will include some crypto in my mix but it will certainly be conservative.

Edited by cobra
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

cold hard cash was how they did it, no wire transfers, just cash deliveries just like the dope

They used the Hawala system and they used GIA Diamond certs. Sometimes they used various 'charities' as fronts.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Did anyone buy the dip? It's going to be interesting to see the price action between about Tuesday to Sunday.

Buying the dip would mean that prices are stabilizing or, God forbid, go back up. So far, that does not seem to be case just yet. One can hope though.... 

All kidding aside, selling the peaks and buying the dips is a fools errand. Especially in an ultra volatile, unregulated market as crypto where tweets from certain people can send prices upwards or downwards. During a bull run, everyone is a genius and everyone is right all the time. When things turn messy like they have the past few weeks, continuing that game convincing yourself you can actually time the market is just going to increase the pain. CDA'ing the way to go. I am off to pick me up some ETH ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Did anyone buy the dip? It's going to be interesting to see the price action between about Tuesday to Sunday.

I bought during and after the initial crash but not the aftershock dips. Haven't sold anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Not quite as bad as buying the peaks and selling the dips.......I should know.

Excellent point! One presented with the option; buying the dips and selling the peaks would indeed be preferable.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, The Cipher said:

Central Banks like those in China and the UK are working on creating their own digital currencies.

This is what puzzles me.. I struggle to see the value of bitcoin [as opposed to a credit card or cash even] and sort of view it as a couple of guys saying, lets make our own money, it is not visible or tangible, we'll just say it exists [lets make it rare!! limited quantities ] - - and the 'mining' being a big energy suck - and for what? 

Why can't GS or Citi or any government issue their own crypto? I guess I don't get what is backing it? 

That said, I bought some gbtc which I didn't make any $$ on, as the discount to btc..kept increasing... but I did well with ethe and sold out but for my profit and then sold that too... 

But, my larger question is who started this and why can't it easily be copied? 

ps - I am a relatively long term traditional investor... 

pps - I have a friend who made the packaging and put in an instruction manual for "Air Guitars" which he sold in novelty stores.. he didn't do too well with it... but the similarities to bitcoin do not pass me by... 

If one morning there was no more bitcoin, who would you call to get your $$ back from or complain? Is there even an office or a mint? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Not quite as bad as buying the peaks and selling the dips.......I should know.

This is the inevitable and most human reaction to market timing.. you feel good when the market is strong and so you buy - when it goes down you get scared and try and duck the punch and sell... 

On 5/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, ukrules said:

That's when most of the teachers in Thailand get paid. And in my previous schools, that's when a good portion of the farang teachers' salary went into crypto, or so they said. That and their GFs.