Phuket COVID measures relaxed, but ban on house guests, alcohol in restaurants and closure of pubs, bars all remain in effect

webfact

7 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

So right now Phuckit has zero attraction, why would anyone come? There are plenty of welcoming places that have so much more to offer. Save yourself the long flight from Europe.

You're assuming that they'll do their homework before coming.  Given the numbers of tourists who have gone to Pattaya and been horrified at the scene there, I doubt they'll do that.  They'll just go blindly, then scream to the press that things weren't as they expected.

2 hours ago, connda said:

My guess is that in one month all "Fun" venues will still be closed and alcohol will still be demonized and prohibited.
When the first tourists come they'll find Phuket is closed for business and that the mere act of sitting by the pool with family and friends over a few beers will land them in jail - word will get back to the home-countries and Phuket will spiral down the drain until 2026.

Leadership has two opposing goals:  attract tourism while exerting power over the public and micromanaging the activities of the commoners including foreigners whom they despise.

At the moment they are fully intent on killing the geese they lay the golden eggs.

Can you imagine, you'll have to book in advance a flight and the time is there..... CANCELED

It is what mentioned before, better wait 1 year of more, IF you still like to go.

So they're basically asking prospective sandbox tourists - who might want to book a trip right now - to make a gamble on whether or not they will be allowed to have a glass of wine with their SHA+ approved restaurant dinner come July.

That doesn't strike me as very good marketing.

• Like 1

They just don't get the fact that there are plenty and I mean plenty, of more attractive destinations offering better value for money, nearer to home and with far less restrictions offering better value for money..

Thailand's glory days were already a thing of the past and have now been sped up with Covid19.

Best of luck with the Chinese, you are going to need them.

The doom and gloom forecast went on for years, but this new future will have nothing to do with the strength of the Thai baht or not bowing to the whims of a few dreaming expats, this is peoples habits changing, a new world order, economics, and a hard wake up to 2021 and the new normal.

This place is not the be all and end all, and it never was in reality.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DefaultName said:

You're assuming that they'll do their homework before coming.  Given the numbers of tourists who have gone to Pattaya and been horrified at the scene there, I doubt they'll do that.  They'll just go blindly, then scream to the press that things weren't as they expected.

Are you  girl or boy because a lot of drama in your post 

• Haha 1

I hope that the brave tourists who travel to Thailand this coming Winter will have some different rules by then

or Thai tourism  will indeed die totally.  I am counting on the year 2022 in November for my next trip back to

Thailand. I hope by then the situation will be different and all the rules will be more normal. Now a days i just

chuckle when I see the ever changing rules the various Government departments in Thailand come out with.

The dreamy forecasts of TAT and the open and close tactics that are presently happening, to the hot spots or

cold spots of COVID.  I think that this year will be interesting, but not very organized in a lot of places in the world.

Geezer

• Like 1

23 hours ago, madmen said:

I would prefer it to shut down until the 1st when I arrive, why risk new clusters . What's the point in opening the doors right now,  there is nobody there! 

There is people here 

23 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Indeed, those businesses whose core source of revenue are resident Expats, not tourists.

There is a few tourist about we have tourist in our condo

37 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Indeed, those businesses whose core source of revenue are resident Expats, not tourists.

drove thru phuket town yesterday, more busy than before and Central mall had plenty of people>

ITS ONLY the tourist  beach towns that have been F@@Ked for 15 months>

plenty of locals enjoying the waves here in Kamala  ????

and it seems the intercontinental was doing good business with thai families

It’s a circuit breaker, shut everything down and kill the chance of any out break before the 1st of July.

It makes perfect sense

Well done to the people in charge.

See you in July

• Like 1

Cases are down to near zero in Phuket, Samui and Phangan. Let them reopen all bars and let the restaurants serve booze, as of tomorrow. Nothing is being accomplished with this economic deprivation of the people. 

And let the southern islands reopen entirely, with no restrictions. Just the screening, which is already in place. 

Nobody has ever defined that intelligibly. I can understand crowded bars, and clubs, where you have to shout to be heard, and in the process you release alot of spittle. But a restaurant? Why? It only appears to be an additional hardship for hundreds of thousands who are only trying to make a living, and patrons who are only trying to let off a little steam and enjoy some much needed recreation. If anything, allowing drinking in restaurants brings down the national crime rates!

So, where is the science? If anything the shutdown of restaurants likely causes more harm, than good. Both psychologically for the population, and financially for the community and the families involved in running the restaurant.

Is there any science behind the ban on booze in restaurants?

Witnesses called by the Restaurant Association of Maryland argued that the city’s dining ban and lockdown measures like it were causing irreparable economic and psychological harm. They added that the restaurant shutdown, which went into effect in December, had not reduced the number of COVID-19 cases in Baltimore.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/food-drink/bs-fo-restaurant-shutdown-debate-20210114-xgaijws76ngb5kmviijh23saoi-story.html

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Cases are down to near zero in Phuket, Samui and Phangan. Let them reopen all bars and let the restaurants serve booze, as of tomorrow. Nothing is being accomplished with this economic deprivation of the people. 

Is there any science behind the ban on booze in restaurants?

yes I've already posted why

It’s a circuit breaker, shut everything down and kill the chance of any out break before the 1st of July.

It makes perfect sense

Well done to the people in charge.

See you in July

• Sad 1