Motorcycle delivery guy in a coma after collision with U-turning car in Nonthaburi

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media 77kaoded went to Bang Bua Thong in Nonthaburi to investigate after CCTV footage posted online caused a lot of comment and shares. 

A motorcycle delivery rider - later named as Wanchana, 23, is in a coma with a brain hemorrhage. He was rushed to Bang Bua Thong Hospital on Sunday lunchtime then transferred to Phra Nang Klao hospital.

Footage showed a black Ford make a U-turn. The bike rider was unable to brake in time and flew over the car and landed on the tarmac. 

10pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A witness at the scene in Bang Khurat said this was an accident blackspot.

Local police are investigating. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-08

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

I've only been driving here since February, reminds me of the cartoon wacky races, do forigneers who've drove here for years just end up driving like thais or still keep to what they know.

I’ve been driving here for over 20 years (central Bangkok). 

A certain amount of ‘local adaptation is required to get anywhere’.... this usually involves being a little assertive when trying to edge out of a junction with an endless line of traffic doesn’t seem to show any indications of anyone being prepared to stop... we just edge out until someone has to stop !!!... 

But.... local adaptation doesn’t mean jumping red lights etc.

The single key piece of advice I always offer is never make any sudden movements or lane changes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The single key piece of advice I always offer is never make any sudden movements or lane changes. 

And if you are riding a bike, always assume that everyone else is trying to kill you.

Of course - ALWAYS wear a good helmet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

And if you are riding a bike, always assume that everyone else is trying to kill you.

Of course - ALWAYS wear a good helmet.

Agreed...  even on a local sub-soi 7-11 run I wear a minimum of trainers (never flip flops), full face helmet and gloves...  (shorts and T-shirt).

Full face always... it doesn’t take much for another bike to cut you up, hit my front wheel and before I know it I’m face-planting in to the asphalt... I’m much too pretty to allow that to happen !

But, if going to a main road the kit then includes Riding pants or riding jeans (kevlar) and a jacket with back protector... It gets hot...  as a consequence I’m riding less and less, especially this time of year (probably only 2-3 times per week in this heat)... in the cooler months I can get out daily... for a fun ride if I fancy it or for errands. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stubuzz said:

It also looks the the rider was in the wrong lane.

I was thinking the same but I've seen it hundred times a day.  When it comes to motorbike and can't say for sure in this case but in general bikes in particular don't want to slow down especially those who are doing deliveries today like Grab etc.  they avoid and what to go around the problem in this case the Ford making an U-Turn. I've seen two young kids on bike refuse to stop try to go around a vehicle both hit the front end flew into a cement pillar.  Seem cars instead of just slowing down change lane flip over or cause a greater accident Sad.

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I was thinking the same but I've seen it hundred times a day.  When it comes to motorbike and can't say for sure in this case but in general bikes in particular don't want to slow down especially those who are doing deliveries today like Grab etc.  they avoid and what to go around the problem in this case the Ford making an U-Turn. I've seen two young kids on bike refuse to stop try to go around a vehicle both hit the front end flew into a cement pillar.  Seem cars instead of just slowing down change lane flip over or cause a greater accident Sad.

Yep... It looks like that is what happened. 

The car tried to U-Turn, perhaps without indication or warning and instead of braking the motorcycle rider just decided he could go around the obstacle... then it was too late. 

So many cars and motorcyclists seem to want to take any form of avoidance before braking in which case it is often too late. 

Think of how many times we’ve been pulling out of a junction or crossing traffic etc... instead of casually slowing, the on-coming vehicle continues on, flashing their lights, asserting their presence etc but barrelling down on the obstruction timing it so the passing obstruction (crossing car or bike etc) is out of the way by the time they reach it...  But, if the passing obstruction (crossing car or bike etc) its too late to stop and there is a screech and an impact... 

Too many chancers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

It also looks the the rider was in the wrong lane.

No he was obviously trying to avoid the moving car by moving out away from it too close to brake on time

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Panda seems to dominate in our little backwater of the world. I don't like to generalise but their drivers are <deleted> awful. 

Agreed. They're always rushing to get the order. Always rushing to deliver the order. Then always rushing to get back to their hang-out spot.

Nah, I've come to the conclusion that the rear view and side mirrors are merely superficial decorations for Thai drivers. 

In fact, even craning their necks to check for other vehicles are a bit too much work for the average Thai, like walking to 7-11 rather than driving that 5 odd metres to it.