Thailand abstains from vote on UN resolution for arms embargo on Myanmar

webfact

UN-resolution-Myanmar_web.jpg

A protester uses a fire extinguisher as others holding homemade shields run during a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon. (Photo by STR / AFP)

Thailand was among 36 countries which abstained from voting on the United Nations General Assembly’s resolution calling for a stop to the flow of arms to Myanmar, urging the military to respect November’s election results and release political detainees, including Myanmar’s state counselor Aung San Suu Kyi.

The General Assembly adopted the resolution, with the support of 119 countries. Belarus requested the text be put to a vote and was the only country to oppose it, while 36 abstained, including China, India, Saudi Arabia and Russia.

Screen-Shot-2564-06-20-at-14.44.07-600x337.jpg

“The risk of a large-scale civil war is real,” U.N. special envoy on Myanmar Christine Schraner Burgener told the General Assembly after the vote. “Time is of the essence. The opportunity to reverse the military takeover is narrowing.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-abstains-from-vote-on-un-resolution-for-arms-embargo-on-myanmar/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 7

But has any agency of the Thai "government" given any reason for voting this way, or made any comment on taking this position? I don't suppose they have to, and as above we can all think of reasons, but it would be interesting if there were any rationalizations of its position by Thailand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enzian said:

But has any agency of the Thai "government" given any reason for voting this way, or made any comment on taking this position? I don't suppose they have to, and as above we can all think of reasons, but it would be interesting if there were any rationalizations of its position by Thailand.

They would never admit that the Thai army controls the nationwide teak trade......and guess where most of the teak comes from?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

They would never admit that the Thai army controls the nationwide teak trade......and guess where most of the teak comes from?

I have worked in the remote regions of Myanmar quite recently. The real teak barons are from India. In terms of scale, the Thais have a noodle stand.

• Thanks 1

At least Belarus was open and honest on its feelings towards the resolution. The others that abstained chickened out.

Myanmar voted in favour...

119 for, 1 against, 36 abstensions...156 countries. What happened to the rest? (193-156). Did not vote?

To me it is a total no brainer that the UN should push for a total arms sales ban for all countries under under un(fake)elected military governments. 

So, pretty obvious that Thailand's generals wouldn't support  a move which might give leeway to the supporters of decency.

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Belarus is more of a mystery.

Not really and for reference:-

The measure was approved with 119 countries voting “yes,” Belarus — a major arms supplier to Myanmar — voting “no” and 36 countries abstaining, including Myanmar’s neighbors China and India, along with Russia.

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/world/2021/06/19/Myanmar-rejects-UN-resolution-urging-arms-embargo

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Sad to see that Laos (where I live) also abstained.  I suppose I didn't expect anything else.  Shameful ????

Yes indeed, my thoughts as well from here in Cambodia, which also abstained along with Brunei, another ASEAN member. What I found interesting was Vietnam voting "for" the embargo. 

Is there any more of a useless international organization than ASEAN?

They all believe in not criticizing other members which they try and push as "self-determination" no matter how bad the actions of it's members.

Yes, also surprised that Vietnam took a stand. 

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I have worked in the remote regions of Myanmar quite recently. The real teak barons are from India. In terms of scale, the Thais have a noodle stand.

Little happens there, without the mafia (the Burmese generals) getting their percentage. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enzian said:

Have a look at the BP. There is an  article there where 'he who must be obeyed' has given his excuses sorry reasons.

The article was posted at 06.30. Look in the recent articles section.

• Thanks 1