Opinion: Four steps the government can take to save the country

webfact

Maybe Thailand should look towards Dr. Fauci.  Back in 2020 he said it would only take a short time to "flatten the curve"  I believe they issued guidelines titled " 15 days to slow the spread"  Probably copies of it are still available. 

Fauci cautioned against checking the caseload "every few days" to come to conclusions about the slope of the curve.

"That would be really misleading if we do that," he said.

Fauci underlined that although testing and diagnostics is crucial to know the scale of the virus spread, mitigation measures and epic shutdowns are essential.

"Even if we had no testing, we should be doing what we''re doing now" he said.

The US government issued guidelines this week titled "15 Days to Slow the Spread." The 15 days are seen as a trial period for the new recommendations which rest on these pillars: If you feel sick, stay home. Do not go to work. If your children are sick, keep them at home. If someone in your household has tested positive for the Coronavirus, keep the entire household at home. If you are an older American, stay home and away from other people. If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition such as a significant heart or lung disease stay home and away from other people.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Have to accept that on face value. 

I would be so fished off about that especially as I know in my country Oz (from what I'm told) that just does not occur there 

Isn't it true that UK was vaccinating everyone. Even those without docs.

Yep, i have 4 thai friends in the Uk all had there 2 free shots and furlough for 14 months

When your only tool is a hammer…

Honestly, the government’s only short-term solution is lockdown, and even that isn’t going to be enough.  But, reopening Phuket is a mistake right now if the goal is finding a long-term solution.  Maybe in another month or two vaccines can start to make a dent, but right now Delta is breaking-through enough vaccinated people that without getting to >>70% vaccination rate you really are asking for problems.

My best guess is that Phuket could realistically open in December… or the government can say that 30,000 cases per day is fine (and end up with 100k/day).  Fall is going to see a huge surge in lesser-vaccinated countries.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead of the eradication strategy that the government successfully accomplished last year, this time the government has opted for a middling approach and eventually started removing restrictions even before a consistent improvement in case numbers could be detected. The result was a continued rise in infections which has put the health system under severe strain and now the re-imposition of a ban on dining inside.

Should that be "meddling" 

Something that has been puzzling throughout the third wave is the fact that some outdoor venues, such as parks, were closed down, while indoor venues such as shopping malls were allowed to remain open. The phrase “following the science” is no longer fashionable  — which piece of science? — but we do have an abundance of evidence now that transmission is most likely in indoor spaces, while outdoor spaces are much safer. And as such, outdoor spaces such as public parks should remain open to the public. 

That's been a pet peeve for me: Enclosed malls open, parks closed.  The decisions to open and close businesses is all about protecting the wealthy, and as far as parks?  Just shut those down to keep the plebs in line.  Shutting parks is about as ludicrous as requiring masks in a enclosed car or out in the fresh air and sunshine away from other people.  These are decisions not based on any science but based on power projection and control for the sake of control.

But one step at a time. 
It's good to see someone with a public voice pointing out the same stupidity.  Close parks (wide open spaces, low-concentrations of people, fresh circulating air, sunshine and UV light) but keep all malls open (enclosed spaces, high-concentration of people, closed-air systems, and artificial light).

You can't leave the malls open while closing parks in the name of 'stopping the spread of Covid" and expect people to take any of this serious.  I don't buy the narrative.  Want to slow the spread?  Close the malls and hyper-marts and keep the parks open.  Encourage shopping in open air markets for food.  And hold off shopping for that Guicci handbag for 30 days or buy it online if you need it so bad.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

TBH I don't know. Some guys look into the behind scene info. I'm bit superficial. Tend to look at results.

I'm only guessing in that I assume there has been production issues and also keep in mind that there were contracts in place to supply some countries. Philippines? etc.

I think yesterday they did something like 70k+ (little bit) vaccinations. 

That's ridiculous. 

Some expats on the forums are having success with first jab.

Hasn't been straightforward esp for folk in Bangkok.

Have you had your first jab? What's your personal experience been. 

I'm too obnoxious to deal with registration and apps etc

This won't ever end until everyone is vaccinated.

They have so many opportunities to order the right vaccines in huge quantity but are relying on just one manufacturing plant, big mistake.

Buying Chinese vaccines to curry favor will bite them in the butt.  Useless garbage.

Even this article uses one shot as vaccinated in his math.    9 million total so far, just under 6 mil is first shot.   Saying that means 44 mil more shots to reach PM's goal of 50 million by October?   <deleted>.   I see it as 3.x mil are fully vaccinated, 6 mil first shot.   Means 35 mil need 2 jabs and 6 mil need 2 nd jab or 75+ million more needed by October.    It should be criminal to count 1 jab of any vaccine as a vaccinated person.   Never understood the parks closing except mall owners have influence.  Wouldn't want people in the fre parks when they could be in the malls.   Oh and closing at 9 rather than 10:30 is really putting your thinking cap on.   Testing has been a joke.    Glad it got my gal out in May.  4 weeks or less she had both pfizer Jabs.   Life seems normal in USA but I'm worried 4/10 people walking around are unvaccinated and worse most are mindless antivaxers

11 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Same in America too no matter race, color, creed or national origin. Other that blatant racism and segregation by these DOGS, there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever that any foreign national should be turned away at anytime to register and/or be vaccinated.

In my case each time the decision to refuse has been taken by a uniformed official, not by a nurse or doctor - in fact the nurses have always accepted that at my age (64) and with diabetes (stable but nonetheless a chronic condition) that I should be vaccinated. Refusal has been decided by a civil servant. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that clinical needs are not considered, but here at least (Chiang Rai) vaccination is being allocated according to political decisions driven by xenophobia.

I have been refused by officialdom at provincial level - twice at the walk in centre operated by the main provincial hospital and once by the education ministry (I was the only teacher from my school not to be vaccinated, I am the only white teacher at the school). However I am sure that it also affects the Thais - this is anecdotal, but i am told in the rural amphur in which I live the police have all been vaccinated, the soldiers at the local army camp (only a small one with a couple of hundred men) have all been vaccinated, the government officials and, umh, err, that is it! Even the medical staff at the local hospital have not been vaccinated! An utter dogs breakfast!

Putting a stop to this form of pork barrel decision making should be one of the steps being taken...

Edited by herfiehandbag

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

In my case each time the decision to refuse has been taken by a uniformed official, not by a nurse or doctor - in fact the nurses have always accepted that at my age (64) and with diabetes (stable but nonetheless a chronic condition) that I should be vaccinated. Refusal has been decided by a civil servant. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that clinical needs are not considered, but here at least (Chiang Rai) vaccination is being allocated according to political decisions driven by xenophobia.

I have been refused by officialdom at provincial level - twice at the walk in centre operated by the main provincial hospital and once by the education ministry (I was the only teacher from my school not to be vaccinated, I am the only white teacher at the school). However I am sure that it also affects the Thais - this is anecdotal, but i am told in the rural amphur in which I live the police have all been vaccinated, the soldiers at the local army camp (only a small one with a couple of hundred men) have all been vaccinated, the government officials and, umh, err, that is it! Even the medical staff at the local hospital have not been vaccinated! An utter dogs breakfast!

Putting a stop to this form of pork barrel decision making should be one of the steps being taken...

I feel very sorry for you. I love the normal Thai people, but the current bunch of traitors dressed in uniforms are the ones who destroy this once great place to live and do business in. I hope that one day the average Thai will figure this out and kick those leaches back into the gutters where they belong,

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

This situation has greatly changed a lot of peoples opinions about this country, and not in a good way. Our best recourse is to continue to hit social media and deter as many people as possible from coming here in the future.