Exercise is everything

swissie

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

You could also conclude that life expectancy is linked to sex speed. The faster you rut the shorter your life span. Meaning if you slow your sex speed to that of a turtle you may live longer. 

Good advice, Do you happen to know from experience what speed that would be?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

The time spent exercising is probably the same amount of time you will extend your life by.  is there any real point in it.  LOL

Off to the gym.......12 hours everyday.......should see 150..............555

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Orinoco said:

The time spent exercising is probably the same amount of time you will extend your life by.  is there any real point in it.  LOL

maybe or maybe not - as to the life extension... some people die in those horrible smelly places... 

OP, you didn't state if, at the pearly gates, they will ask you how much you exercised. Will they?

It's not so much a question of longevity (though it could help), fit people die too (see genes), it's a matter of a better quality of life while you are here. For instance, if you want to try to expand the time you can have exciting sex, take care of yourself. If you don't care, fogattabowdit.  : )

If a steak is more important than sex, go for it. Different strokes for different blokes. Ask any bargirl. 555

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Fit people dont live longer, less if super fit. Worn out. Like a car. Running kms shortens your life.

• Like 2

Basically, looking at the animal/insect world, heartbeat is a fairly accurate measure of longevity.  Whales, elephants have a slow heartbeat, insects have really fast heartbeats and man has the in between   Yet we all seem to live approximately the same number of heartbeats in a lifetime.  The slow heartbeats live a long life, the insects with the fast heartbeats live very short lives and man, especially if he exercises properly and eats well can live a fairly long life (though maybe bored to death).  Though also, some individuals break all the rules on smoking, drinking and bad foods yet live a long time.  Genes play somewhat I guess in the game.  But a healthy life can usually be a longer life with enjoyment, in my opinion

• Like 2

I actually enjoy walking or cycling around the golf course most days. The days on which I have to do something else, I really resent because I love gentle exercise in the fresh air so much. I also enjoy gardening in a way, but more for the feeling of satisfaction afterwards than actually taking part. Can't think of anything better than walking or cycling in the sunshine. Even the occasional rain's pleasant. Even if I don't get an extra day of life from it, at least I've enjoyed myself doing what pleases me.

• Like 2

Balance in all things, Ha, there are so many factors involved and it is down to the individual to find their own programme that suits them best. I was a sprint champion in my early days but training was not just about running. My coach put me through routines some of which I still use today as I approach 79. Running with the wrong technique can cause a lot of damage. Many people forget about the internal organs and martial art/yoga type techniques are devised specially to massage internal organs. If you like to run then stop at certain points, sit on the ground and do some gentle leg stretches for muscles and tendons care along with body bends, trunk twists, serve as three dimensional exercise which running cannot give.

The misconception is that exercise will directly allow one to live longer but it is the right routine (whatever that may be for the individual)  that will indirectly, help in healing, (or help protect) the body during infections, injury etc. Whatever your inclination, running, cycling, home gym etc consult an expert or spend the time to find your own limitations. One should feel good after a w/o and if not, then something is wrong.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, ColeBOzbourne said:

The life spans of the rabbit and the turtle probably doesn't relate to exercise, but rather metabolic rates. Debatable but, in general, creatures with slow metabolic rates live long, and those with fast rates live short in comparison. Some will try to compare two humans with different metabolic rates and claim there is no correlation. But the gap in their metabolic rates is nothing compared to the gap between a rabbit and a turtle.

But the perception of the passage of time varies also. For a tortoise, a day passes in a flash. Fora mouse, a day seems to last a month.

Remember Dunbar from 'Catch 22'. He was convinced that time passed more slowly if he just sat there bored out of his brain watching the clock. The day would just crawl by.. He wanted to live forever (or at least feel like he lived forever) and therefore spent all his time bored. Sleep was a total anathema because time passed so quickly.

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

But the perception of the passage of time varies also. For a tortoise, a day passes in a flash. Fora mouse, a day seems to last a month.

Remember Dunbar from 'Catch 22'. He was convinced that time passed more slowly if he just sat there bored out of his brain watching the clock. The day would just crawl by.. He wanted to live forever (or at least feel like he lived forever) and therefore spent all his time bored. Sleep was a total anathema because time passed so quickly.

Ha.....didn't he spend as much time as possible skeet shooting because he loathed it so much and time dragged....5555

All I can recall having read it in about 1969.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, pgrahmm said:

A true moderator if there ever was one.....????

Forum rules say moderation is not allowed to be mentioned. (Emoticans not working, I wanted a laughing emotican here.)???????? ???? ????????