Overseas tourists finally roam free on Thai island of Phuket

webfact

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The fact the photo shows only 2 people in the entire hotel speaks volumes

2021-07-02T191232Z_1_LYNXNPEH6114E_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-PHUKET.JPG

Yep it does speak volumes and these 2 must be suffering from agoraphobia along with many other tourists. 

18 minutes ago, simon43 said:

What happened to the requirement to wear tracking wristbands?  It's gone quiet on that topic...

yeah.  If they ever forced that, they could kiss any routine tourist visits good bye.  As it is, the costs, the travel limitations, the quarantine times in other places of course kills any short term tourist visits from people that only  have two or three or even four weeks vacation time.  The online tracking and registration app is bad enough and a problem for me as I do not have a smart phone nor had any plans to get one until they finish terminating 3g and 5 g is rung out with no issues.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, simon43 said:

What happened to the requirement to wear tracking wristbands?  It's gone quiet on that topic...

It was supposed to be intended for people without smartphones.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Sadly the sandbox was never designed to help the local Thais or small shops since the people of course have to stay in the larger hotels

Keeps quite a few in work I would guess

• Sad 1

Sadly the sandbox was never designed to help the local Thais or small shops since the people of course have to stay in the larger hotels at the moment as those are the only ones SH+ approved or whatever it is called.  however, if one were a long stay tourist as I will be, well, after the required 7 days or whatever, I would jump to a different hotel.  

"Travelers can swap between hotels if they want to, but the hotel must be SHA+ accredited as well. You must stay for at least 7 nights in your first SHA+ hotel before you can move to another SHA+ hotel."

What is the point to move you still need to be in a SHA + hotel.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

"Travelers can swap between hotels if they want to, but the hotel must be SHA+ accredited as well. You must stay for at least 7 nights in your first SHA+ hotel before you can move to another SHA+ hotel."

the point is you did not understand.  I meant I would move out to a smaller local Thai owned hotel when I could, i.e. after 7 days or whatever the ShA + required stay is, not just the initial 7, but the total number whatever that is

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, nkg said:

It was supposed to be intended for people without smartphones.

eh?  I don't own a smartphone, but frankly how can anybody get on a flight to Thailand without one, because aren't you supposed to register for one of those apps and show it before you board the plane or are allowed to leave the airport at Thailand?  Are they not checking or pinging you?  What and where does one "agree" or certify they are OK with being tracked?  What if one leaves their phone in their room, or turned off, or in the safe in the room?  Are the Thai officials saying they expect people to keep their phones on their persons at all times?  Would like to see the rules in print about and any details about that if they exist

A further six inbound flights today, including Thai's first flights from Copenhagen, Frankfurt and Paris (they have already landed), and the regular Dubai, Doha and Singapore flights.   Within a few days, visitors will be more noticeable.

The online tracking and registration app is bad enough and a problem for me as I do not have a smart phone nor had any plans to get one until they finish terminating 3g and 5 g is rung out with no issues.

22 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

eh?  I don't own a smartphone, but frankly how can anybody get on a flight to Thailand without one, because aren't you supposed to register for one of those apps and show it before you board the plane or are allowed to leave the airport at Thailand?

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today........................... Smartphones aren't all expensive and can save you money, even make you money..................................... The sooner you get one, the eaiser and more informative your 21st Century life will be........................

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, pagallim said:

OK, I've just seen a pictorial guide to the arrival process, which some might find useful or interesting.  The last one is probably room service in a hotel.

It was reported that the process in the airport takes 2 hours. That alone would put me off. 

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Because they might want to explore another part of the island for a week. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Really?   I believe most of those arriving, having gone through all the hoops to get here, are not put off by airport time, whether it be 2 hours or 12 and are just glad to be here.

Your continual 'flying the flag' for Phuket is infectious, I hope it rubs off on some.........................kudos ..................

• Sad 1