Thailand reports record high of 75 Covid-19 deaths, 7,058 new cases

webfact

52 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Yeah exactly...it was a lockdown in name only...I travelled all over central and eastern area of Thailand at that time thinking there would be roadblocks or something and there none...there was loads of traffic on the roads and no obstruction to driving anywhere.

I like your points and am not meaning to be argumentative but the lockdown was in name only. In reality you could still move around without any problem. As mentioned I experienced this myself as did many colleagues and friends and several people on social media. 

Our entire company of some 800 plus people continued to travel to and work from our offices around the country (including 400 odd in our Bangkok office) as no one was working from home (not were any of our customers).

The BTS was less busy then usual in Bangkok but still plenty busy enough. Restaraunts were closed though and there was a curfew in Bangkok which I must say was surreal.

It was just typical Thai going through the motions. Maybe you saw it differently?

I was in Bangkok and it was pretty much as you describe. I still went into work every day, as did many other office workers.  Taxis and motorbike taxis were still operating and street food stalls were busy.  I suspect it will be much the same this time, unless they shut down the BTS/MRT/buses.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand’s northeastern province of Ubon Ratchathani has recently come up with its own model for local quarantine, to accommodate native residents infected with COVID-19 and who develop mild symptoms.

The living quarters, for asymptomatic cases and those with mild symptoms, are not a “hospitel”, a model widely adopted in Bangkok and other affluent provinces, but cottages in the middle of rice fields, which suit a province where most of the people are farmers.

CCSA Spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin, who proposed the model said that it utilizes the vast farm lands in the Northeast to shelter young native residents, returning home from the cities to receive treatment in a natural environment. People in their communities or family members will provide them with food and drinking water during their stay.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ccsa-farm-hut-quarantine-model-in-thailands-northeast-questioned/

And don't forget the mosquito spray....they'll need it.

I don’t know why but that open air wooden platform with a roof, doesn’t look like my definition of a “cottage”.

I guess if it’s what the people want, fair enough, but I’d hate to think that people were forced to live in a wood shelter with no sides. It IS the rainy season.

11 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand’s northeastern province of Ubon Ratchathani has recently come up with its own model for local quarantine, to accommodate native residents infected with COVID-19 and who develop mild symptoms.

The living quarters, for asymptomatic cases and those with mild symptoms, are not a “hospitel”, a model widely adopted in Bangkok and other affluent provinces, but cottages in the middle of rice fields, which suit a province where most of the people are farmers.

CCSA Spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin, who proposed the model said that it utilizes the vast farm lands in the Northeast to shelter young native residents, returning home from the cities to receive treatment in a natural environment. People in their communities or family members will provide them with food and drinking water during their stay.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ccsa-farm-hut-quarantine-model-in-thailands-northeast-questioned/

And don't forget the mosquito spray....they'll need it.

These people just keep getting sillier by the minute.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

How will this affect the Teflon Baht, asking for a friend.

I'm no market savant but it probably won't unless... who knows? If a badly managed pandemic won't kill it, what will?

The whole place is teflon, no matter how many predictions of their antics producing catastrophic failure and empty beaches, it's never happened until they themselves stopped the flood. Thai Airways, for example, simply should no longer exist; it would no longer exist -anywhere else. 

I bet London to a brick they can keep up all this gestapo sandbox nonsense forever, and the punters would still be beating a path here.

If I did not live here, and let me add, i love it, I just hate the muppets in charge, I would not come here for vacations!

Well before covid, it had stopped being the freewheeling place that never shut, and Taksin started the authoritarianism, make no mistake. It was fine while everyone benefited from the fast and loose laws here, now, only the Salim have all the fun and none of the consequences, the rest of us, Thai and guest alike, are in a joyless, expensive, watered-down version of the Thailand of yore.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mrfill said:

India doesn't appear to have 'taken the top spot' according to reality. Have you omitted some important parameters from your inaccurate statement?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Screenshot_20210708_112625.jpg

Sorry about that, I misread the articles Title without seeing they were referring to the new daily totals, and took it along with the chart below as what I posted. India has had 200k deaths however in just the past two months and I am sure what they were alluding to without showing the proof, but again my apologies for misstating a statistic. 

Covid Deaths Reach 4 Million as India Eclipses U.S., U.K. (msn.com)

:Covid Deaths Reach 4 Million as India Eclipses U.S., U.K."

image.png.39504c6678bed829ca8a87fe5a7599de.png

Edited by ThailandRyan

42 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Financial Aid for Affected Operators, Workers in 6 Provinces

BANGKOK, July 8 (TNA) – The operators and workers who were affected by strict COVID-19 control measures will start to receive financial aid from the government on July 23, according to a spokesman.

Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, spokesman for the Center for Economic Situation Administration, said the assistance targeted the operators and workers whose workplaces in six provinces were closed for one month to contain COVID-19.

According to him, the cabinet approved 2.52 billion baht to help operators and workers in construction, accommodation, food, art, entertainment and recreational sectors.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-734805

The trough must be running a little low, time for a refill.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

When loved ones can be deadly

One possible explanation for the continued, terrifying increase in COVID-19 cases in Thailand is that the country may be arriving at the most unwanted juncture. As news reports focus on “clusters” at fresh markets or construction sites, and debate on whether a new lockdown is sensible, less attention has been given to the fact that no matter where infections take place, the affected ones will finally be home, where they sleep and eat with other family members

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/when-loved-ones-can-be-deadly/

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

This says it all:

"Thais had prayed they would never have to deal with that truth. However, figures, photos, and shared experiences are a resounding confirmation that the day is coming, if not here already. In the worst-case scenario, anyone close to anyone can be deadly _ kids coming back home from playing in the soi, or wives returning from partially-opened department stores or markets, or husbands getting back from 7/11, or working family members simply having finished whatever chores outside the houseThe issue is a taboo, and that is why most people, politicians included, do not want to talk about it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I'm no market savant but it probably won't unless... who knows? If a badly managed pandemic won't kill it, what will?

The whole place is teflon, no matter how many predictions of their antics producing catastrophic failure and empty beaches, it's never happened until they themselves stopped the flood. Thai Airways, for example, simply should no longer exist; it would no longer exist -anywhere else. 

I bet London to a brick they can keep up all this gestapo sandbox nonsense forever, and the punters would still be beating a path here.

If I did not live here, and let me add, i love it, I just hate the muppets in charge, I would not come here for vacations!

Well before covid, it had stopped being the freewheeling place that never shut, and Taksin started the authoritarianism, make no mistake. It was fine while everyone benefited from the fast and loose laws here, now, only the Salim have all the fun and none of the consequences, the rest of us, Thai and guest alike, are in a joyless, expensive, watered-down version of the Thailand of yore.

One day, and it only takes one day, the teflon won't be there and neither will the money and the won't be any warning.It's happened before. 

• Like 1

Isn't it a bit late for a lock down? Covid is all over the country now. It would have to be a serious 'streets empty, no buses or trains lock down' for a month to do any good, I'm not sure that the Thai economy can take it. Obviously all the old and weak should be vaccinated as a matter of haste, the young seem not to be so much in danger of a deadly outcome but the vaccines aren't there. Society could start to breakdown now especially when government offices start emptying. Internationally there already appears to be cracks opening, it is unbelievable in this day and age that there is a vaccine shortage, labs worldwide should be pouring the good ones out by the ton.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

This says it all:

"Thais had prayed they would never have to deal with that truth. However, figures, photos, and shared experiences are a resounding confirmation that the day is coming, if not here already. In the worst-case scenario, anyone close to anyone can be deadly _ kids coming back home from playing in the soi, or wives returning from partially-opened department stores or markets, or husbands getting back from 7/11, or working family members simply having finished whatever chores outside the houseThe issue is a taboo, and that is why most people, politicians included, do not want to talk about it. 

Furthermore, we have the long weekend (3 days) coming up in a couple of weeks.  If tomorrow the govt doesn't ban (not restrict) domestic travel, I'm sure there will be travelers heading home. A short Songkran.  We shall see.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The operators and workers who were affected by strict COVID-19 control measures will start to receive financial aid from the government on July 23, according to a spokesman.

Nice diet for those who have already locked up in construction site's! Only 15 days to go for next meal! 

• Like 1

The junta is obviously not learning from Europe who are still recording new cases after imposing some of the most stringent restrictions in the world.

The morons running the LoS really have absolutely no idea of how to deal with Covid-19. 

The following comes from the US Gov site;

According to the embassy, to date, the U.S. government has provided over $40 million (1.28 billion baht) in COVID-19-related assistance to Thailand, which includes $28.5 million in ventilators, respirators, testing kits, surgical masks, goggles and other protective equipment to Thai doctors and nurses, and support for displaced people along the border. Additionally, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has provided $13 million in COVID-19-related assistance to the Thai public health ministry"

It wouldn't surprise me if it's been sold on or ruined, what doesn't surprise me is that it's not reaching the people who need it!

The government is an absolute disgrace.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Sorry, I can’t read thai. Joking aside, can  you tell me in English,the figure and the legend written beside it?

6,990 admissions, 4,978 discharges, so they squeezed 2,000 people into full hospitals. Let’s see what happens tomorrow.

• Confused 1

Phuket draws tourists despite rising Thailand virus cases

BANGKOK (AP) — A week into an ambitious but risky plan to open the Thai resort island of Phuket to vaccinated visitors, signs were encouraging that the gambit to resuscitate the decimated tourism industry was working, even as infections elsewhere in the country surged Thursday to record highs.

After seeing fewer than 5,000 foreign travelers over the first five months of the year, the island off Thailand’s southwest coast, whose economy is 95% reliant on the tourist industry, welcomed 2,399 visitors during the first week of July.

The so-called Phuket sandbox plan relies on a strategy of vaccinations, testing and restrictions — measures that officials are hoping are strict enough to mitigate any COVID-19 threat, while still providing enough freedom for tourists to enjoy a beach vacation.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-thailand-coronavirus-pandemic-lifestyle-travel-1a698bbc11495e83f80142869da69d71

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

6,990 admissions, 4,978 discharges, so they squeezed 2,000 people into full hospitals. Let’s see what happens tomorrow.

How do you know they squeezed 2,000 people into full hospitals or where they cam e from, were they from home, isolation unit, how long had they been waiting? How do you know there were 6,990 admissions, where did they go, hospital, stay at home or isolation unit?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How do you know they squeezed 2,000 people into full hospitals?

Perhaps the hospitals weren’t full yesterday. 

if it will make you happy, I will post that the hospitals are all completely full today, but if tomorrow another 2,000 are squeezed into hospitals, I will post that hospitals were not full today, since obviously 2,000 beds were available.

No, I don’t know which of these beds are hospitals vs field hospitals.

• Sad 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Perhaps the hospitals weren’t full yesterday. 

if it will make you happy, I will post that the hospitals are all completely full today, but if tomorrow another 2,000 are squeezed into hospitals, I will post that hospitals were not full today, since obviously 2,000 beds were available.

No, I don’t know which of these beds are hospitals vs field hospitals.

You speculate as much as you want with the figures, I'm just fascinated you have so much insight and detailed knowledge to all the data to be able to make your assumptions, thats why I'm curious and asking you how you know exactly.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You speculate as much as you want with the figures, I'm just fascinated you have so much insight and detailed knowledge to all the data to be able to make your assumptions, thats why I'm curious and asking you how you know exactly.

All I know is what I post: as long as admission numbers are higher than discharge numbers, the system is not maxed out yet.

When discharge numbers exceed admission numbers, then the epidemic is waning.

this is not rocket science. I am sorry if these simple concepts trigger some people.

if admissions exceed discharges tomorrow, then clearly the system as of today is not maxed out. I understand this bothers certain people here, nothing I can do about that.

BTW, I saw a video on FB today showing a Bangkok area hospital with filled acute care beds in what seemed to be a parking garage. There was no source link for the video, so I didn’t post it here.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I think those figures include field hospitals and those are irrelevant in a medical sense. You need to get proper hospital stats only, then you will see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'd say that rumored lockdown will now become a certainty. Deaths filtering through from these high positive case counts and 3 digit death daily on the horizon. Measures not working, not enough beds, nurses or doctors, not enough vaccines, not enough firm action spells disaster.

I'm a little confused when I do the math e.g. deceased to date, those deceased = 2,462 i.e. since Covid was first detected here in Thailand, i.e. 18 months ago, Vs the total tested positive people since that time = around 308,230, if that is the case, it gives me 0.798754177%.

I can also appreciate that there has been about 280,000 odd that have fully recovered since then as well.

Could some one correct me on the % of deaths please ?

Just now, newnative said:

And no vaccines in sight.  Why isn't the PM on the horn every day to Biden and Putin pleading for vaccines now, not the always 'sometime towards the end of the year' delivery date.  

There aren't enough vaccines pure and simple so don't worry about them.  The next thing they will be doing is begging for staff from the WHO because they don't have enough to deliver doses.  Completely inept.  

10k per month is what I figure.  That isn't happening.  And that's a reopening in one year if you're lucky, LOL.  

These guys cannot turn a pandemic around like this in five months.  Or is it three?  They aren't even drunk.  They're delusional.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its quite clear from the reports that Bangkok is full for covid admissions, its quite clear from reports that there are not enough beds now and thats why they have set up holding isolation units and keep people at home because of no beds.

Yet you seem the think that the simple equation of new positive cases against new discharged cases hold true.

Despite not knowing how many thousands of others are waiting previously with no beds.

You are not looking at it logically.

However I'm done, I cannot argue any further when you can't see that simple concept

I claim no special knowledge about how long people are waiting for admissions, or what color are the blankets on their hospital beds.

I am just stating an obvious concept that the system is not maxed out until admissions = discharges on a daily basis.

of course, there is the other point that higher the hospital walk in cases, the more likely future escalation of daily infection numbers.