Thais head to Makro/Lotus to stock up on supplies after lockdown/curfew announcement

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported from Makro saying that Thais had flocked to the store to buy goods after the CCSA announcement that ten provinces including Bangkok were facing greater restrictions.

They called it a lockdrown in their headline and said there were curfew restrictions from 9 pm to 4 am, closure of malls except for supermarkets, restrictions on inter-provincial travel and take home only at restaurants. 

Doing a roaring trade at Makro were instant noodles, water, cooking oil, rice and dried goods. 

All these could be used to make something edible in an emergency.

Sirikan, 30, said she runs a restaurant out of her home and would normally order from another province. She was broadly in agreement with the measures. 

Reports also came from Lotus that many customers had hot-footed it to stores to stock up on essentials. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-10

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well that's ensured a few more thousands have caught it. Acting like Lemmings. Restrictions imposed because of the rapid spread of contagion, so what do they do ? flock somewhere and congregate. Mind you the useless government are idiots to give warnings. Should have used their brains and done what the Chinese were sensible enough to do - move the army in overnight and seal it off. Movements strictly controlled and "only as absolutely necessary" allowed.

No congregating shopping while masked and wearing gloves, sure there is always a chance to catch the virus, but then they do only allow so many in at one time, and then they do have marks where people should be social distanced while in line, everyone we saw was staying as distanced as they could while inside.

• Like 1

went to Makro yesterday, very rare visit, don't see what people like about it, apart from the meat and fish. All the items I buy were cheaper or the same price in Foodland, where we went after. Much nicer and better service where they pack your purchases up and still wai you, does not look like a warehouse either!

• Like 2

Just now, clivebaxter said:

went to Makro yesterday, very rare visit, don't see what people like about it, apart from the meat and fish. All the items I buy were cheaper or the same price in Foodland, where we went after. Much nicer and better service where they pack your purchases up and still wai you, does not look like a warehouse either!

So not being rude, why did you go there then ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes indeed Makro on Rama 3 here in BKK was extremely busy yesterday when we went to re-load at 3pm.  No parking in the garage and cars parked sideways in front of others like you see in the malls.  People were double masked and wearing gloves as well. Inside each register was open and there were lines.  It also appeared that many people had also ordered on-line as there were carts loaded up with names and order numbers affixed as well as pallets filled with orders for small shops.  After we left Makro we went to Villa in Lang Suan to buy the odds and ends needed and it was just as busy.  People definitely were stocking up, and then the roads at 6 pm heading out of BKK were also loaded up with vehicles apparently heading out of town as well.

We went to the Makro on Suksawat, had a laugh at the cars parked, two Porsches and a very expensive Merc, times must be hard!

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

We went to the Makro on Suksawat, had a laugh at the cars parked, two Porsches and a very expensive Merc, times must be hard!

Why spend twice as much elsewhere when you can get twice as much for half the cost.  They still do have Hi-End products inside Makro, or maybe you have never looked.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I wonder whether Thai people clean the supermarket shelves from toilet papers like people do in Australia that no one understand why they do that...

Paper products aisle, taken in US supermarket March 2020.

paper.jpg

24 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Paper products aisle, taken in US supermarket March 2020.

paper.jpg

Thai people only use toilet paper to dry their hands and wipe their faces after eating and washing up........spray and go with no wipe seems to be the majority....

if supermarkets are going to be opened, just 1-2h shorter at night, no point ramming into them now.

The point is to go out as little as possible, so do a very large shopping, when kitchen is almost empty. 

I see on th picture a lady with 20 bottles of water. Why not buy very cheap from the nearest to her filtered water dispenser?

The other lady is with tens of mama noodles. Unless it's for sale at her shop, it's not a nutrition, even in emergency. For less money she would have proper, not processed food.

And everybody can order online, with free delivery over 3k from makro

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I wonder whether Thai people clean the supermarket shelves from toilet papers like people do in Australia that no one understand why they do that...

Probably not. But they'll surely clear all shelves of Mama noodles. Just as Australians seem to be unable to survive a few days without toilet paper, Thai people are incapable of surviving without instant noodles. At the same, for some expat posters in this forum its apparently inconceivable to survive without beer -- and regardless whether there's a virus pandemic going on or not.

3 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Probably not. But they'll surely clear all shelves of Mama noodles. Just as Australians seem to be unable to survive a few days without toilet paper, Thai people are incapable of surviving without instant noodles. At the same, for some expat posters in this forum its apparently inconceivable to survive without beer -- and regardless whether there's a virus pandemic going on or not.

You really don't get it, do you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Great news, now the needless rush is over, I'll pop in later for a leisurely shop on my own.

Enjoy the empty / practically empty shelves. I know I did in the first lockdown. LOL 

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

So you like staring at empty shelves then?

Remember, people who panic buy are selfish and couldn't care less about how their actions affect others.

Just come back from Makro, not overly busy and could buy everything I wanted.