SURVEY: Is it time to abandon the Sandbox concept?

Scott

SURVEY: Is it time to abandon the Sandbox concept?  

344 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the rise in cases in Thailand in general and the appearance of variants such as the Delta variant being reported in Phuket, is it time to abandon the sandbox concept to bring back tourists?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

One premise of the "sandbox" was that tourists would spend their first two weeks in Phuket and then were free to travel around and see the rest of the country. However, Bangkok is now in lockdown and many other areas have implemented local quarantines for non-locals entering their area. We now see that domestic travel is again shutting down, with AA canceling all domestic flights for July and most inter-provincial bus travel being shuttered. If tourists just want to visit Phuket, the scheme may work for them.

• Like 1

Mostly it seems to work until now.

Tourists know the rules before them come. If they accept the rules, fine.

What does Phuket or Thailand lose by letting people in who are vaccinated and tested for Covid?

Of course there is always a rest risk. But which risk is higher? A vaccinated tourist with Covid flying into the country? Or none-vaccinated locals arriving into Phuket over the sea?

Worst case they stop the sandbox idea if the Covid situation in Phuket gets as bad as in the rest of Thailand. What do they lose with that concept? Nothing!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bdenner said:

Should never been implemented in the 1st place. They can't come to terms with the concept that vaccinated people can still spread the virus even if protected themselves.

Oh come on man!!! We all know these variants were already here and not reported. They needed the sandbox excuse to once again blame the outside world for all their problems. So yes, the sandbox was necessary...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, they work against variants, but, Sinovac is ineffective against the Delta variant.

Guess which vaccine was used for the majority of Thai people.......

Sinovac is not used in western countries as far as I know, except for Hungary and Serbia if I recall correctly (?) and maybe a few others but not in large scale and I was talking primarily about the situation western countries.

• Like 1

PM says can not stop the Sandbox l not take my salary for 3 months to help the situation which l have caused from my ineptness and Stupidity so l need brown envelopes to survive, my 120 day plan to reopen the country not look good but maybe ok l wait and see