Phuket hotelier takes government and local administration to court demanding 242 million baht compensation

webfact

29 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

I hope this guy and every business bankrupted from these forced closures sues the hell out of the government and wins.

You do realize that "the government" gets most of their money from "the people" right?

So you are basically hoping for a huge wealth distribution from "all thai citizens who didnt lose their business" to "all thai citizens who lost their business". Whoever still got their business or got a normal job will pay millions in taxes so people who lost their business will get millions from the government.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Seems obvious covid is with us long term. I think it is much more interesting to predict what we’ll see in the future. 

Hotels seem fairly self explanatory. Cleaner. More emphasis on sterilizing and or wrapping items used one customer to the next. 

Restaurants is the obvious one. They will rent small spaces with no dining areas. Kitchen in the back, with an area for grab drivers and walk ins in front to pick up. That’ll be common. 

Pattaya will go digital. They have the branding already in place. The dividers and fish bowl type dances will be more common. 

I think everyone is making the mistake of thinking when we are getting over this. We aren’t. Think about things will adapt in the next ten years. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, calbts2 said:

My god what an ignorant and thoughtless post. Is there such thing as "Pandemic Insurance to pay for forced government shutdowns of your business"?

I don't think so. Normally when you "lose" it is because of competitive market forces and/or poor business management - not by unexpected forced government shutdowns.

In my opinion, if a government is forcing you out of business though no fault of your own, then they should be fully responsible for compensating you for your losses.

I hope this guy and every business bankrupted from these forced closures sues the hell out of the government and wins.

And during the best of times - government gets to tax you on your profits so your last statement is complete hogwash.

Ok than he can reduct this next year from his tax- office ... He will never pay tax as much as he asks now..

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Manager reported that a leading hotelier responsible for several hotels on the holiday island of Phuket has taken the government including premier Prayuth Chan-Ocha to court demanding 242 million baht for Covid-19 closures that have damaged business.

!st of many that might follow suit, can see these cases dragging on for years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, calbts2 said:

My god what an ignorant and thoughtless post. Is there such thing as "Pandemic Insurance to pay for forced government shutdowns of your business"?

I don't think so. Normally when you "lose" it is because of competitive market forces and/or poor business management - not by unexpected forced government shutdowns.

In my opinion, if a government is forcing you out of business though no fault of your own, then they should be fully responsible for compensating you for your losses.

And during the best of times - government gets to tax you on your profits so your last statement is complete hogwash.

In the UK several policies were worded in such a way that the business interruption section did cover such losses. It went to court and the claimants were victorious. Hiscox were the biggest losers on this. I read their wording and said from day one that they were going to have to pay out.

Thai wordings seem to be less complicated and the only one I read (my own) would definitely not have provided any cover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Hotels all over the World suffers from lack of business due to Covid, that's how it is! And that's part of the risk when operating a business for gaining profit; do the hotel owner mentioned here also send similar part of his profit to the government during good years?

Well presumably they pay tax on profits. It's true that all businesses have ups and downs but this is unprecedented. A lot of governments have provided help for businesses badly affected by lockdowns including Thailand as far as I know and it seems to allude to this when it says that promised funds couldn't be accessed. I don't know whether this account is genuine so he may be just trying it on or he may have good point.

6 hours ago, kimamey said:

Well presumably they pay tax on profits. It's true that all businesses have ups and downs but this is unprecedented. A lot of governments have provided help for businesses badly affected by lockdowns including Thailand as far as I know and it seems to allude to this when it says that promised funds couldn't be accessed. I don't know whether this account is genuine so he may be just trying it on or he may have good point.

Taxes work different. If you have a loss then you can deduct the loss in future income, a government don't pay your loss, or part of it, in cash.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure governments deliberately closing all hotels was a predictable business risk. It's never happened before, and it's totally unnecessary.

The hotels aren't allowed to make income, but the banks holding their mortgage is. How can that be allowed to happen?

Surely the government should stop all associated business from operating at the same time? No hotel trade, no bank interest, no utility fees, no taxes, no rents would be more equitable.

There are lots of unpredictable business risks.

And banks actually did reduce interest rates and issued "loan payment holiday" to to support small and medium-sized enterprises, re. Bank Of Thailand.

If you have no income, or negative income, you don't pay tax; furthermore both annual statements and payment of taxes have been postponed due to the pandemic.

Some companies gain, and some companies lose, that's how free market works; i.e. for example transport sector, including food deliveries, and online sales have gained through the pandemic, whilst airlines and tourists sector are among those loosing turnover. The ones in major problems seems to be the ones that already had a tight economy, or negative bottom-line, before the pandemic; i.e. THAI to mention a local company.

• Like 2