Vaccinations available for Australian nationals in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

When I moved here to Thailand I realised that by doing so I had to forfeit my future pension unless I returned to Australia for 2 years, so I decided to save more and forgo any future pension claims and have hence worked towards being a self funded retiree.

The point I was making was the way they have lowered the bar by means of the assets test.

I saw the writing on the wall years ago and did exactly what you are doing now.

Many of my friends in Australia are in the same boat working hard and planning for a little extra in the future doesn’t pay off in Australia.

I compare this with the UK I worked there for about 6/7 years in the late sixties early seventies and was surprised to find out that on retirement I was eligible for a small pension.

No need to go back and apply like Australia all done online.

Anyway I am glad I made the decision to retire here very happy despite all the whingers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grego49 said:

Yes mate and got excepted email this morning,will be getting taxi there from kanchanaburi and get him to wait and bring me home have used him before to see skin doctor in bkk,cheers

Interesting. I provided all my details 7pm last night and received rejection email 1pm today. Reason : appointments full.

Interested as to how you were successful.

Hopefully you get your shot tomorrow.

Long drive. How does it work for return from Bangkok. No issues? 

Please post your experience tomorrow, I'm sure folk would be interested.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

The point I was making was the way they have lowered the bar by means of the assets test.

I saw the writing on the wall years ago and did exactly what you are doing now.

Many of my friends in Australia are in the same boat working hard and planning for a little extra in the future doesn’t pay off in Australia.

I compare this with the UK I worked there for about 6/7 years in the late sixties early seventies and was surprised to find out that on retirement I was eligible for a small pension.

No need to go back and apply like Australia all done online.

Anyway I am glad I made the decision to retire here very happy despite all the whingers.

Australia has rules of its own when it comes to payments for earned pensions . At least you will be paid by the UK where ever you decide to retire . Not so sure about Australia . I worked and lived there for 16 years . Unlikely I get anything . 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

His location says USA, they think their time is Universal. 

His location is the Republic of Texas. Chauvinism there is only second to China.

Edited by placnx
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, superal said:

and have to do a 14 day quarantine when they return to their homes having been to deep red zone Bangkok

I wonder how much you need to pay a taxi driver to do a return trip to Bangkok and then not work for 14 days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

The problem with the Australian Aged Pension is that it is means tested and as I stated in the early post the requirements have been tightened in recent years to exclude more people.

Also you have to be in the country to apply and there are also fairly strict residential requirements, again in my opinion to exclude more recipients.

I have spoken to expats from several other countries including the US, none of whom face face such onerous  requirements.

Thank you for you input . 

I have lived in a country that has a social agreement with Australia  for many years . I am waiting for a reply on the years spent in Australia to be added to the pension i receive . I am not holding my hopes up high on any success sad to say .

The real problem with Australian aged pensions is there is no means to appeal . 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I've now read everything public about this wham-bam process & discovered each embassy was allotted only 100 jabs!

Token beau geste courtesy of Thailand to its (bigger) allies... But a slap in the face to the expat community at large. At least what it did was waken us to our sense and turn elsewhere for our survival and comfort. While the American (et al) "window of vaccination opportunity" opened and closed in less time than it took the lady to open two bottles of beers (with her "opener"), good old thaiintervac portal was equally open and let you through to register with MedPark, in a leisurely manner and especially, in style ("hey, no pushing or shoving please, folks!")

20 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

The problem with the Australian Aged Pension is that it is means tested and as I stated in the early post the requirements have been tightened in recent years to exclude more people.

Also you have to be in the country to apply and there are also fairly strict residential requirements, again in my opinion to exclude more recipients.

I have spoken to expats from several other countries including the US, none of whom face face such onerous  requirements.

You write the facts and well put . I have met many Australian citizens and migrant Australians that are being robbed of there pension rights . It is a shame when you consider Australia has grown from immigration over the last 300 years .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, itsari said:

Thank you for you input . 

I have lived in a country that has a social agreement with Australia  for many years . I am waiting for a reply on the years spent in Australia to be added to the pension i receive . I am not holding my hopes up high on any success sad to say .

The real problem with Australian aged pensions is there is no means to appeal . 

Yes there is!!!!

I returned to OZ back in 2014  [aged66] and was knocked backed.I appealed and was eventually

was given the full pension.

10 hours ago, pegman said:

Likely shamed into doing it because of that stupid Embassy joke post. Be nice if more countries did this for their nationals.

For a nice change France taking the lead in showing the way!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I could apply for citizenship given that i moved there nearly 50 years ago, don't have any type of police record, got my tertiary education in Australia and paid tax for 30 odd years. Plus my now adult children are Australian by birth. I didn't in the past because I felt that I was treated pretty equally to a citizen in all matters including voting rights, health care and owning property etc. Maybe I will feel different after this and consider duel citizenship with my UK Passport.

I am an Australian citizen , and like you I have paid bucket loads of tax over the last 35 years working in Australia.   I have now made the choice to live in Thailand - (like you?).   I expect to receive nothing from Australia in the future . I will not be eligible for any government support or pension.

I do , however, understand that the benefits that I received while living in Australia- education for myself (free) and subsidised for my children , free health care , stable (<deleted>$y government) and a true first world lifestyle- all come at a cost. I think it is a bit much to expect to get the tax that We have paid back in our retirement.  As far as I know it was never a loan.     
such is life 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, overt2016 said:

Yes there is!!!!

I returned to OZ back in 2014  [aged66] and was knocked backed.I appealed and was eventually

was given the full pension.

I just say two words , returned or  outside the country 

7 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I am an Australian citizen , and like you I have paid bucket loads of tax over the last 35 years working in Australia.   I have now made the choice to live in Thailand - (like you?).   I expect to receive nothing from Australia in the future . I will not be eligible for any government support or pension.

I do , however, understand that the benefits that I received while living in Australia- education for myself (free) and subsidised for my children , free health care , stable (<deleted>$y government) and a true first world lifestyle- all come at a cost. I think it is a bit much to expect to get the tax that We have paid back in our retirement.  As far as I know it was never a loan.     
such is life 

One thing you are correct on . Dont expect any pension from Australia whether you have paid buckets of tax or not .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Dr Jack has a strange sense of humour it seems 

17 minutes ago, G Rex said:

such is life 

You are nieve .  Good luck to you that does not need what you paid into . Many are in  the opposite position .

13 minutes ago, itsari said:

Dr Jack has a strange sense of humour it seems 

Several posts above show lack of understanding of the word Pension.

In Oz it refers to "old age pension".

This is not the case in UK or USA for example. I'm not from those countries but their use of the word Pension is completely different from AU.

In Oz we have superannuation. That is an amount that is taken out of your pre tax income. Currently think it's 9%. The government in turn matches that.

That is what many Australians retire on.

In any event all this is off topic. Nothing to do with thread. 

BTW permanent resident in my book means little. You have easy passage to obtain Au citizenship. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Settle down now! This is blowing smoke just as thick as the junta's!

Five countries (Australia, Austria, Canada, New Zealand & USA) notified citizens who were registered with their embassies (lots are not) on Friday evening. Had to register by noon Saturday. For AZ jabs Sunday at a remote cement factory on the northern outskirts of Bangkok. Expats who lived upcountry were not accommodated.

I've now read everything public about this wham-bam process & discovered each embassy was allotted only 100 jabs!

The dips must be taking night school from the dics in power! This febrile effort is sure to result in even more breakthrough rage ffrom expats.

Dudes, they have NO intention of making sure we're vaxxed...

nah, they didn't learn this idiocy from the Thais - just look at the track records in the west to see where this came from. PR bs at it's worst..

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Several posts above show lack of understanding of the word Pension.

In Oz it refers to "old age pension".

This is not the case in UK or USA for example. I'm not from those countries but their use of the word Pension is completely different from AU.

In Oz we have superannuation. That is an amount that is taken out of your pre tax income. Currently think it's 9%. The government in turn matches that.

That is what many Australians retire on.

In any event all this is off topic. Nothing to do with thread. 

Off topic yes , yet somewhat relevant to Australias good will to there citizens living in Thailand offering in short notice to obtain a vaccine only in dark red Bangkok . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Off topic yes , yet somewhat relevant to Australias good will to there citizens living in Thailand offering in short notice to obtain a vaccine only in dark red Bangkok . 

No such thing occured. The AU and other Ambassadors arranged little publicly stunt. Dish out few crumbs perhaps as low as 100 jabs per country and do a little video release.

I provided details as soon as site was up last night and didn't get an appointment.

Exactly what happens at daily registrations at those 2 bkk hospitals. 

It's a big game. A joke. Bar Bar black sheep rubbish.

• Like 1