Thailand wants to limit export of locally-produced AstraZeneca vaccine

webfact

_96Q79Q.jpg

(Photo by LOIC VENANCE / AFP)

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is to go ahead with a temporary restriction on the export of locally-produced AstraZeneca vaccine, to ensure sufficient supply for domestic use, in the wake of the relentless spread of COVID-19 in the country.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said today that he has instructed Dr. Nakorn Premsri, director of the National Vaccine Institute, to draft a ministerial announcement to set the appropriate proportion of AstraZeneca vaccine for export and for domestic use, which will be submitted to the CCSA for consideration.

The Public Health Ministry wants to take delivery of ten million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine per month.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-wants-to-limit-export-of-locally-produced-astrazeneca-vaccine/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

draft a ministerial announcement to set the appropriate proportion of AstraZeneca vaccine for export and for domestic use, which will be submitted to the CCSA for consideration.

"Draft" + "Consideration" 

Meanwhile, cases rise each day, & they faff around, with wooly language like this.

In truth, I think this is about how much dosh they can make, nothing else.

• Like 1

Don’t send a single vial out until your own population is vaxxed. 

Vaccination is the one and only tool we have that is proven to work against this virus. When that sinks in with people and they understand that statement, I think they will ramp up vaccine efforts. Hopefully soon. 

Open everything IMO because that will get the Thai govt 100% focused on vaxxing their population, and to stop wasting time on utterly useless and resource wasting policies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Talk from Anutin about reneging on the AZ contract,  but nothing on the company that can't meet production quotas.  No fiduciary restrictions (dropping the price) or even a statement from the company saying why.  This coming from a person / family listed in the top-10 richest families in the WORLD and not a private citizen either. 

Ripping up the AZ contract would be a huge gamble for Thailand.

Others might look away, on the other hand, vaccine production supply chains might get cut-off and international condemnation may be severe. 

Doesn't Thailand need to be part of the unified supply chain - Its slightly worrying if they go through with this, although I understand India has done this.

If we are solely dependent upon Thai production we will all be waiting for a long time.

This gem is being polished and presented as justification. 

Of course there's always a law, act, rule.

National Vaccine Security Act
B.E. 2561 (2018

Section 18

(2) The proportion of temporary vaccine exportation out of the Kingdom shall be proper for the
proportion of domestic vaccine usage;

http://nvi.go.th/index.php/files/large/208f6bc83adf0bd

Hold on here, I seem to have missed a few things.

Last I heard vaccine manufacture in Thailand had been consolidated.  I hadn't heard any of the local vaccines actually being made and passing the international quality control standards.  J & J ran afoul of that in the USA and had to discard 60 million doses.

AFAIK Anutin is telling our few friends that they are getting a smaller percentage of  .....  nothing.  ????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said today that he has instructed Dr. Nakorn Premsri, director of the National Vaccine Institute, to draft a ministerial announcement to set the appropriate proportion of AstraZeneca vaccine for export and for domestic use, which will be submitted to the CCSA for consideration

I think that was already worked out in a contract with AZ... 

• Like 1

Thailand wants to limit export of locally-produced AstraZeneca vaccine. 

They should to be able to do that If they haven't got a Contract to supply a certain Quota AZ vaccine in return to be able to make the vaccine here in Thailand.

• Like 1

If AZ don't supply the foreign customers who have placed orders and paid for the vaccines, they leave themselves open to being dragged through the international courts. 

Yes, I want the vaccine to stay here, but it's wrong to cover up our mistakes by taking from others who were faster to order than we were.  

I'm using "our" and "we" because everyone within the borders is in the same boat.

• Like 2

Contracts like this generally have clauses about internal consumption vs export. AZ has surely signed legally binding contracts with other countries. What does Anutin expect?

Thank you AZ for agreeing to increase the Thailand quota to 5 million. If export ban is implemented, just reduce production to 5 million and openly communicate why.