SURVEY: What are your plans for the long term?

Scott

SURVEY: What are your plans for the long term?  

443 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Grecian said:

So you can't imagine?

Trouble with the left, you are in sure. They won't answer the hard questions.

Can you at least understand why the parents of those girls wish the UK government had never let people in from a <deleted> culture (acid attacks anyone) in?

Ha ha , me a Leftie ?

If you say so .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I voted remain because I am enjoying Thailand, 'no matter how bad it gets' well for me it is good just now. No hardships worth a mention. Covid pfffft saw that in the UK, immigration, all going well. Rainy season at last a bit of rain for the rice. 

• Like 1

Interesting topic and replies.

As a relatively younger member of the board and a newly remote-ish worker (the only good thing to happen from Covid), I intend to use my newfound freedom to establish home bases in Vancouver and probably Bangkok and then use them as hubs to travel around those respective continents. See if I can get the best of both worlds.

I anticipate that post-Covid Bangkok will continue to be a nice place for the next decade to fifteen years, after which it may decline (assuming the current trajectory continues). Too far out to project what I might do thereafter.

I expect that the mix of expats here will change as well. When the dust settles from this global event, I believe that quite a few other people will reach the same conclusions I have, and that Thailand will see an influx of younger, relatively more skilled professionals than it has in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Being in Thailand or Canberra, you'll be just fine. If China ever does decide to invade and takeover Taiwan, I'm guessing many people will be thunderstruck when they realize the United States will do nothing in reply, except throw on some more sanctions.

I agree this is the agreement between the two but of course it will not be disclosed, proof that many IT  Taiwan firme are relocated to the US or Japan. You don't make a war with a nuclear country.

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Yes, good points. I was thinking about the "China" influence as well and the increasing western versus Chinese antagonistic type of verbal rhetoric. I see an increasing potential for escalation of hostilities in the next 5 to 10 years and China may well pressure Asian friends to commit to a more "allied" type relationship if the current antagonism with the west increases. Then being a foreigner in Thailand may either become more difficult or may become unpleasant. Maybe I am overthinking it, but it seems like a possibility to at least consider as political influence in Asia changes.

It is well that you realize that politics has already changed we are in the allied country with China like Laos and Myanmar,  Cambodia, it is not today it was yesterday, here we are only tolerate for our monthly money entering the country.

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Interesting topic and replies.

As a relatively younger member of the board and a newly remote-ish worker (the only good thing to happen from Covid), I intend to use my newfound freedom to establish home bases in Vancouver and probably Bangkok and then use them as hubs to travel around those respective continents. See if I can get the best of both worlds.

I anticipate that post-Covid Bangkok will continue to be a nice place for the next decade to fifteen years, after which it may decline (assuming the current trajectory continues). Too far out to project what I might do thereafter.

I expect that the mix of expats here will change as well. When the dust settles from this global event, I believe that quite a few other people will reach the same conclusions I have, and that Thailand will see an influx of younger, relatively more skilled professionals than it has in the past.

Good luck young boy with many dreams

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BusyB said:

And Cambodia is not?

They seem to quite like white foreigners.

The 1 year VISA's couldn't be easier, no queuing, no paperwork, no visits to immigration.

Just pay your $300 to the local agency, hand over your passport, and collect a few days later.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

I already left about 2.5 years ago, settling in Luang Prabang, in north Laos.  Of course, my relocation was pre-covid, and was based on my perception of future uncertainty about the direction that I saw Thailand moving, in terms of immigration/visa rules, cost of living, xenophobia, 'paperwork hassles (visas, banking etc).

I wasn't constrained by family or business - I'm divorced for many years and have an online job.  I should also mention that I moved from the UK to south-east Asia almost 20 years ago for medical reasons (I have aspergillosis, a long-term lung illness, and symptoms are all but eliminated by living in a hot and humid climate, daily exercise and a healthy diet!)

So far, I happy with my move to north Laos ????

Hows the visa deal?

17 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Good luck young boy with many dreams

One thing that never changes for me ........... is the fact that when i came here 30 years ago as a wide-eyed traveler looking for something different than the culture i grew up in, and soon after moved here permanently..... was to GET AWAY  from the type of people that were to come after .    and come.  and come.      AND,  of course complain about how things here were so screwed up compared to where they came from.      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

One thing that never changes for me ........... is the fact that when i came here 30 years ago as a wide-eyed traveler looking for something different than the culture i grew up in, and soon after moved here permanently..... was to GET AWAY  from the type of people that were to come after .    and come.  and come.      AND,  of course complain about how things here were so screwed up compared to where they came from.      

Weren't you the one who wanted to go to Canada recently?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I start to get my reduced UK state pension in about 4 years from now, (reduced because I don't qualify for the full 35 years, I was in Thailand).

But that monthly state pension amount is higher than what I typically pay each month right now for my 3 bed house by the Mekong river in north Laos $1M expat medical cover, restaurant meals (salad) every day, petrol costs, electricity costs, internet (2 fibreoptic lines) cost etc  etc.  I think pension + savings interest will cover me just fine ????  Plus if WW3 breaks out, I'm probably in a relatively safe place...

Move back for a few months before you reach pension age and claim pension credit, garenteed £177 a month

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

There's no doubt it probably needs updating but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Maggie tried to update it to a fairer system ie what you use is what you pay for. It was unfortunately called the Poll Tax.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Move back for a few months before you reach pension age and claim pension credit, garenteed £177 a month

It is illegal if you are not living in UK, but give it a go, why not?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rumak said:

AND,  of course complain about how things here were so screwed up compared to where they came from.

From my time spent on this forum, the impression I get is that many of the retirees who moved over here cut most their day to day ties with their home countries.

In my experience, dual-city living is a much better way to do it. Different places have advantages and disadvantages. Building up lives in different locations and the ability to freely move between them ought to let you maximize the advantages of each while minimizing the disadvantages. That's my plan anyway. Will it work? Who knows.

Can't think of a better place to be right now. Will stay in until I get a vaccine, should be very soon. 

As I am paid in US dollars, the baht weakening and house prices about to fall drastically, now is a great time to by property and land. I do worry about the US dollar though but as I am heavily invested in cryptocurrency, I feel safe from the hyperinflation there. When I retire in 10 years, I will spend half my time in Scotland/travelling abroad. 

• Like 1