SURVEY: What are your plans for the long term?

Scott

SURVEY: What are your plans for the long term?  

443 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

C19 will pass and life will, slowly albeit, return to almost normal one day down the road. Almost 50 and can't see myself getting a job back in the West - at least not one that pays enough to raise a family and even less of a chance my missus could get anything decent as her English is mediocre and her qualifications aren't worth the paper they're printed on outside of Thailand. 

Overall, am happy here. There are a few annoyances, but the good days far outweigh the drawbacks. 

The main concerns/complaints I have are: 

1) my son's education here. He'll have to go to a private international school to have any chance of a bright future. We don't need to discuss the educational system here as we all know (us and them) just how abysmal it is. 

2) the environmental problems. Everything from filthy canals to air pollution. There doesn't seem to be a will to solve this issue and to finally clean up their act. 

3) the lack of cultural activities. When I lived in Europe, I went to the library regularly; attended evening classes for adults (further education?) where I studied languages, how to cook, basic computer skills, etc.; went to the theatre, art museums and exhibitions. Most of that is lacking here or I've been looking for it in all the wrong places. 

Overall, when the sun shines, it sure is nice here. 

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I already left about 2.5 years ago, settling in Luang Prabang, in north Laos.  Of course, my relocation was pre-covid, and was based on my perception of future uncertainty about the direction that I saw Thailand moving, in terms of immigration/visa rules, cost of living, xenophobia, 'paperwork hassles (visas, banking etc).

I wasn't constrained by family or business - I'm divorced for many years and have an online job.  I should also mention that I moved from the UK to south-east Asia almost 20 years ago for medical reasons (I have aspergillosis, a long-term lung illness, and symptoms are all but eliminated by living in a hot and humid climate, daily exercise and a healthy diet!)

So far, I happy with my move to north Laos ????

How's that satellite  doing?

8 minutes ago, Grecian said:

If you had an ex wife and 13 year old daughter who were going to move to a Rotherham or any other town in the UK with a high Pakistani population or a still all white UK city...and everything else being equal, would you have a preference to where they chose?

I would. 

Rotherham has a 90 % White British population and a 5 % Asian (Pakistani) population .

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

When the balloon goes up over Taiwan, it might just be safer here than in Canberra ...

Being in Thailand or Canberra, you'll be just fine. If China ever does decide to invade and takeover Taiwan, I'm guessing many people will be thunderstruck when they realize the United States will do nothing in reply, except throw on some more sanctions.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Very good question.

I want to stay in Thailand and my trashold (tolerance) is quite high in regard with the local issues. However, my parashute is fully packed and ready to relocate with the family in the worst case scenario. 

The worst case scenario could be really messy but I somehow hope, although maybe irationally, that the country won't get so far.

8 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I will remain in Thailand even after I have gone up in a puff of smoke.

For me it will be rather more than just a puff ???? 

We are well ensconced, I have a pretty covid proof job, at least for now although we now have significant delays due to the work-sites being shut down, and I can do most of my job from home (I'd rather not, but that's the way it is).

No intention of going anywhere in the forseeable future. But my crystal ball isn't foolproof. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Thailand is perfectly fine if you're vaccinated

what if you're not vacinated?

I'm gobsmacked by this ongoing 'vax propaganda'! don't y'all realise that the double vaxxed are still catching the delta variant, what is that telling us? ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Thought they had only managed to vaccinate 5% (that's in 18 months).

I'd estimate 4-6 months until 50-60% vaccinated (about where North America and Europe are now). It isn't only Thailand...Australia, a much more advanced Western economy, has only a bit more than 10% vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, connda said:

Should have added one other option.

What's your long term plans when China reunifies Taiwan and SE Asia becomes a Chinese occupied territory? 

I'm pretty consistent in pointing out that Thais are short-sighted, but I don't see many students of Geo-politics on the forum other than knee-jerk visceral hatred for all things China and Russia which is naught but a reflection of their Western political programming.
Don't get me wrong.  There are plenty of Russians and Chinese who have a knee-jerk visceral hatred for all things Western based on their own country's political programming.  But if we all plan on moving into the future together it's probably a better idea to find our commonalities and work to get along.  Detente. 
And understand the realities of the One-China policy of the CCP.  Closing your eyes and ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

Yes, good points. I was thinking about the "China" influence as well and the increasing western versus Chinese antagonistic type of verbal rhetoric. I see an increasing potential for escalation of hostilities in the next 5 to 10 years and China may well pressure Asian friends to commit to a more "allied" type relationship if the current antagonism with the west increases. Then being a foreigner in Thailand may either become more difficult or may become unpleasant. Maybe I am overthinking it, but it seems like a possibility to at least consider as political influence in Asia changes.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

A full year's State Pension should just about get your flights paid.

I start to get my reduced UK state pension in about 4 years from now, (reduced because I don't qualify for the full 35 years, I was in Thailand).

But that monthly state pension amount is higher than what I typically pay each month right now for my 3 bed house by the Mekong river in north Laos $1M expat medical cover, restaurant meals (salad) every day, petrol costs, electricity costs, internet (2 fibreoptic lines) cost etc  etc.  I think pension + savings interest will cover me just fine ????  Plus if WW3 breaks out, I'm probably in a relatively safe place...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Tend to agree. The UK does not look like such a wonderful place these days. Seems the whole world is going down the pan so might as well stay here as anywhere else.

Spoke to my mother just yesterday. Her monthly community charge for a 4 bedroom detached house is 250 pounds a week with single persons discount. Here , I think we pay about 20 baht a week to have our garbage collected and that's about it.

Your mother's problem is that the community charge is based almost entirely on the house rather than her and the house is under occupied for it's size . There is the reduction of I think 25% as she's the only person living there but if there were two people than there would be no reduction. There are many arguments around the fairness of the system that revolve around whether one person should be living in a house that could easily accommodate more against a person's wish to remain in a house that they may have lived in over many years and holds a lot of memories. There's no doubt it probably needs updating but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Thailand is a bit different and I have no idea how much is paid by a Thai household but if you're comparing the cost "to have your garbage collected" with the cost of that plus police, fire service, libraries, parks, roads, museums etc. then it's always going to look bad. I don't know how all the daily things in Thai life are paid for but if you just look at police and fire services then it's difficult not to conclude that maybe those who can afford it should pay more. I also don't know the balance of how various services in Thailand are funded between national and local taxes. It's probably not an easy comparison to make.

As for me well unlike now I need to be where my wife is so as soon as possible under the current circumstances I need to return to Thailand. Longer term it depends partly on our mother's. Mine is much older so will probably be gone sooner. Then there's the problem of health. I'm older so the UK would be best for me in later years but I then have to think about my wife who wouldn't have the same entitlement. My wife as a civil government employee has health cover in Thailand which at the moment extends to me but I'm a bit concerned that I'm not covered for Covid by this and the government might see this as a good time to take health care entitlement away from foreigners in my position.

At the moment I will be staying in Thailand apart from visits to the UK to see family and friends. Beyond that it depends on the situation at the time. I flew into BKK on 30th December 2019. If you'd asked me then what my plans were for the next 19 months this wouldn't have been it. Everyone has plans but they are dependent on they situations we find ourselves in.

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

How's that satellite  doing?

Completely off-topic!  (Unless you link it to me staying in Laos and hoping to build their first satellite...)  But all the parts are ready to integrate...

satellite.thumb.jpg.670743fab62052c7ce3be75cad4ae946.jpg

• Thanks 1

Popped out 12 months ago to devote time to elderly parents back home. I didn't plan to be gone so long. I've been fully vaxxed with Moderna for several months. More or less, my longer term plan is to return to Thailand when the travel and quarantine requirements ease. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes and none have been deported ,roaming around fighting extradition for years with taxpayers money, no use sticking up for them ,because they just stick it up to us.

Most were probably British citizens so it's not possible to deport those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Rotherham has a 90 % White British population and a 5 % Asian (Pakistani) population .

Ok, moving into the Pakistani neighbourhood of Rotherham versus an all white neighbourhood.

which you prefer your 13 year old daughter to grow up in? 

please answer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Grecian said:

Ok, moving into the Pakistani neighbourhood of Rotherham versus an all white neighbourhood.

which you prefer your 13 year old daughter to grow up in? 

please answer.

I have no plans to move to Rotherham at all and neither do I have a 13 year old daughter