Samui: 345 foreign tourists in 15 days - 221 of these from Phuket Sandbox

webfact

I will be in a sandbox hotel in Phuket in a few days only to find out that my 4 star hotel doesn't have a in-house gym and the governor ordered all gym and pool hall closed now... any idea where to find an open gym in Phuket's Patong, Amphur Kathu or near by?...

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I will be in a sandbox hotel in Phuket in a few days only to find out that my 4 star hotel doesn't have a in-house gym and the governor ordered all gym and pool hall closed now... any idea where to find an open gym in Phuket's Patong, Amphur Kathu or near by?...

That stinks! I ordered lots of different strength band on Lazada and was able to maintain strength.  Not as good IMO as weights but kept me sane and semi motivated.

And there most probable all ex pats who chose the Phuket sandbox rather then being holed up for 14 days in Bangkok . At least inPhuket they were allowed to go out rather than feeling like a prisoner my friend arrived back yesterday from Phuket after more than a year being stuck in France 

• Like 1

Wow, thats very little.

Is this to the detriment of domestic tourists?

That said the extortionate price of Bangkok Airways will always be an Achilles heel to any tourism rebound.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

but you are never far away from the scammers, con men, or kamikaze drivers.

I thought that you were talking about the UK then - until I realised that you had not mentioned illegal immigrants.

Seriously - scammers, con men, and kamikaze drivers exist everywhere. Why should Thailand be different?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Samui plus is more restrictive than Phuket Sandbox but there are no available flights to Phuket which do not involve transit through UK Red Zone countries therefore although would like to holiday in Thailand this for me is presently not an option as would mean a very expensive hotel quarantine upon return to the UK. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I thought that you were talking about the UK then - until I realised that you had not mentioned illegal immigrants.

Seriously - scammers, con men, and kamikaze drivers exist everywhere. Why should Thailand be different?

You might want to make a comparison with 25,000 killed on thai roads vs 1750 in UK for a similar population. Questions of degree are relevant.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, atpeace said:

This is a once in lifetime opportunity to experience Thailand without the over the top tourism.   I've been traveling now for 9 months and experiencing Thailand in a way that will be impossible in the future.  Actually feel guilty - best year of my life.  The restrictions are what has made this year possible.

Some think Thailand will endure lasting tourism issues but these same individuals also have convinced themselves that Thailand has been struggling for years prior to Covid. A different type of tourist now comes to Thailand and spend much more money in total than us Farangs.  Sadly, the hordes will return and Thailand will be happy to take their money.

The Thailand I fell in love with be extinct in 15 years.  At least I can travel now and not constantly be reminded of how successful tourism has infringed on my dreams.

So you like the Thailand with no bars, no nightlife, limited sales in restaurants that change daily, no swimming pools or Gyms, no hairdressers, no beach without a mask, no entry to a mall without a mask or a supermarket?

No domestic inter province or island travel in tourist places?

A different type of tourist comes to Thailand and spends much more money

Yes, they are called masochists that enjoy misery! They can't be spending much money as there is nothing open.

Some people have strange ways of enjoying themselves.

Give me no Covid and mass tourism back, I know how to avoid crowds!

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

So you like the Thailand with no bars, no nightlife, limited sales in restaurants that change daily, no swimming pools or Gyms, no hairdressers, no beach without a mask, no entry to a mall without a mask or a supermarket?

No domestic inter province or island travel in tourist places?

A different type of tourist comes to Thailand and spends much more money

Yes, they are called masochists that enjoy misery! They can't be spending much money as there is nothing open.

Some people have strange ways of enjoying themselves.

Give me no Covid and mass tourism back, I know how to avoid crowds!

Never said any thing that resembled your rambling.  What I did say is this is it is a once in lifetime opportunity to experience Thailand without over the top tourism.  Miss the gym, restaurants and the constant hustle but it is what it is at the moment.  Decided to take advantage of what opportunities were available. 

Visited places that I gave up on years ago because of huge crowds. Experienced Thailand's beautiful mountains and resorts with few to no tourists.  Been a blast and  met a beautiful woman before leaving that has been with me from day 1.  Yes, it has been a dream year.

You state you know how to avoid crowds?  The above activities you mentioned make me doubt this but why not just state you like crowds? Time and place for everything.  

I'm confident you will get your wish.  Mass tourism will most definitely return and I'll still be having good times.  Cheers!

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 7:54 AM, ezzra said:

any idea where to find an open gym in Phuket's Patong, Amphur Kathu or near by?...

Many SHA+ hotels have open gym. May ve you can try one of those.

They are probably open for people in sandbox program. 

On 8/2/2021 at 7:43 PM, Dialemco said:

would mean a very expensive hotel quarantine upon return to the UK. 

You can fly to Phuket but return from Bangkok. 

I'm doing it with Qatar Airways, but there are more options. 

On 8/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, atpeace said:

Never said any thing that resembled your rambling.  What I did say is this is it is a once in lifetime opportunity to experience Thailand without over the top tourism.  Miss the gym, restaurants and the constant hustle but it is what it is at the moment.  Decided to take advantage of what opportunities were available. 

Visited places that I gave up on years ago because of huge crowds. Experienced Thailand's beautiful mountains and resorts with few to no tourists.  Been a blast and  met a beautiful woman before leaving that has been with me from day 1.  Yes, it has been a dream year.

You state you know how to avoid crowds?  The above activities you mentioned make me doubt this but why not just state you like crowds? Time and place for everything.  

I'm confident you will get your wish.  Mass tourism will most definitely return and I'll still be having good times.  Cheers!

Absolutely a good time to travel. Pictures are of the Emerald Cave and beach just next to it in Koh Mook, Trang province in January  It's normally heaving. We were the only people there. 

A fantastic time to have a place to yourself. 

IMG_20210129_162319.jpg

IMG_20210129_150837.jpg

IMG_20210129_162240.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, ikke1959 said:

Quiz question: 221 tourists from Phuket and 84 journalists the first day.... How many tourists are left??? 

As you doing a quiz, how did you come up with the number of 84 journalists arriving in Samui on the first day?