One dose of AstraZeneca “highly effective” against different variants, study shows

webfact

29 minutes ago, tonray said:

Not true at all. I was given my second dose appointment immediatelly after getting my first jab.

Yes, I will stipulate that everyone given a first does of AZ is getting an APPOINTMENT for a second dose at 4/8/12/16 weeks. I assume I do not have to point out the difference between an appointment and a vaccination?

And yes, a few (~200,000) have already received a second dose of AZ. Most, like the pm, from that first batch imported (~117,000).

However, I'm not certain how many who received AZ from 7 June, have received their second doses. They should be approaching the window soon.

Again, this is just my read on the situation this morning.

Spreading first doses, of what is purported to be extremely effective, across as many people as possible seems the wise thing to do, vs. second dosing people, given the lack of vaccines. 

Bumping AZ #1 from high 80s to what? low 90's with a second dose, while leaving another person at ZERO, seems unwise. But I am not a scientist nor a public health expert, nor do I play one on TV.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, erymax said:

I registered and paid in advance for the Moderna, last week I've got a SMS to confirm it and wait for appointment in October while at the same time others got a SMS that they cannot have it and they will get a refund of the money.

Are you able to share the hospital which confirmed your reservation? And if different, the name of the hospital where "others" were denied?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Not sure of the point of getting an AZ then an MRNA since there has been no detailed studies of mixing.

2 AZ sounds like pretty darn good protection why not stick with that?

Better do some research plenty of new studies out there.

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/mix-and-match-regimen-of-az-and-pfizer-covid-jabs-works-well/

Giving one dose each of AstraZeneca and Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines provides good protection against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, but may be associated with more adverse reactions, according to new clinical trial data.

The Com-COV trial compared two shots with Pfizer/BioNTech’s Comirnaty, two doses of AstraZeneca’s Vaxzevria, and a mixed regimen of one of each jab, and found that all were effective at stimulating a “robust” immune response against the coronavirus, according to the investigators. The order of the mixed shots seemed to affect the efficacy, however, with AZ followed by Pfizer/BioNTech working better than the reverse – at least when the doses are given four weeks apart.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/health/173449/mixing-astrazeneca-and-pfizer-vaccine-leads-to-better-immune-response-research-shows-moderna-european-medicines-agency-ema-university-of-saarland/

People who receive a second shot of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine after they got a first dose of AstraZeneca’s jab develop better protection against the coronavirus than after getting a second AstraZeneca dose, new research shows.

The study, conducted by researchers from the German University of Saarland, followed 250 people, some of whom were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca or Pfizer, and others who received a combination. The interval between the first and second shot was nine to twelve weeks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Are you able to share the hospital which confirmed your reservation? And if different, the name of the hospital where "others" were denied?

Thanks.

Yes no problem, Chularat hospital in Chonburi, I know only that others were denied from same hospital as they will get limited amount of vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, tonray said:

We have enough problems without doom and gloom prognisticators making up worst case scenarios.

Wow!

What a doom and gloom take on my post.

Providing more people with a vaccination is a "worst-case" scenario?

Really?

• Like 1

When I saw the headline, I took it as propaganda so that people accept just one dose and be happy with that because there isn't enough. I've had one dose and I'm waiting for the next one kind of expecting AZ. But now, who knows what the people will say on injection day. They may say no AZ you get the Sinopharm for number 2.

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

I have found that chewing raw garlic seems to keep infection at bay, at least people seem to give me a wide berth so not close enough to spread virus.

But maybe should look at alternatives like AZ ,Pf etc. Don't see much of friends any more for some reason.

Washing your hair with fermented fish (pla raa) seems to achieve surprisingly effective protection, too. I recommend you try it.

• Haha 2

I had AZ at Medpark 6/22 and a few days later decided to leave the country, which I did 7/15. When I booked my first shot of Pfizer for 7/26, my doctor said don't tell the vax people you've had a shot of AZ already because that will just trigger a protocol on their part which is a waste of time-referring to his own hospital people. So he saw no problem. The appointment form did ask me, and I just said no.

ThailandRyan's post above mentions the chance of "more adverse reactions" from the mix and match, and that may have happened to me. The AZ shot I hardly noticed, but two days after the Pfizer I lost all energy and just lay in bed for hours; but then returned to normal, so I feel like at least I got something real.

Second Pfizer will be 8/16.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

This "news" will allow some unscrupulous governments to just vax once with AZ and up their stats on fully vaccinated. 

Here come the "statistics" (well lies and damned lies have not done the trick).

Some really unscrupulous Governments may have already been doing this.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Not sure of the point of getting an AZ then an MRNA since there has been no detailed studies of mixing.

2 AZ sounds like pretty darn good protection why not stick with that?

Because it is offering even better protection:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjBsLj3hZ7yAhUDh_0HHXkdCiMQFnoECBYQAg&usg=AOvVaw0liVHK4jIqJ7QFR6oV74wJ&ampcf=1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nkg said:

The US have a large oversupply of covid vaccines - by January this year they had ordered 1.2 billion - so they didn't really need to use their AZ vaccines.

The US will only promote locally produced vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna.

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Makes me feel better anyway for this morning at least..

Until the next review and somebody comes out and says it causes purple urine or me to speak in a foreign accent!

As a scouser I thought you already do.

• Haha 1

Good news ? or should we also wait and see what is acceptable criteria for ‘health passports’ in order to travel in the future?

I can foresee a situation where:

The type of vaccine does not meet our approval

The time interval between your vaccines does not meet our approval

The country of manufacture of the vaccine does not meet our approval

Your vaccination document does not meet our approval (written in Thai)

The mix of vaccines does not meet our approval

This is already apparent in the many restrictions outlined on various gov.dot websites.

• Like 1

This story is at least two weeks old.  The press release appeared, and was widely reported, on July 23:

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/vaxzevria-is-highly-effective-after-one-dose-against-severe-disease-or-hospitalisation-caused-by-beta-and-delta-variants-of-concern.html

The press release comments on a non-peer-reviewed preprint published on July 16:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v2 

Here's a study that says the exact opposite. Personally, I'll feel much better after the second shot.

study published Thursday in the journal Nature found that just a single dose of Pfizer's or AstraZeneca's vaccines – both of which require two shots – was either weakly or not at all effective against Delta.

https://www.sciencealert.com/new-study-suggests-one-vaccine-might-not-be-effective-enough-against-the-delta-strain

• Thanks 1

Why would Zeneca followed by Pfizer/Moderna be ok but not the reverse? Because Pfizer/Moderna want to convince people to ditch Zeneca after their 1st shot that's why. By the same token Pfizer/Moderna are pushing for a 3rd jab, and vaccinating children, plus  spreading fears one jab of J&J may not be enough.

When it comes to agressive salesmanship, mRNA vaccines are definitely the best.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Why would Zeneca followed by Pfizer/Moderna be ok but not the reverse?

I don't know.... I am not a viral immunology expert. Are you? Simply supply and demand I suspect.