Immunocompromised US teacher stuck in Thailand without access to vaccine

webfact

42 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

I’ve survived cancer and now want to win the lottery but can’t, but I’m not whining about it.

If you have survived cancer you have already won the lottery !

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's been nearly one year during which it has been possible to fly from Thailand to the U.S.A.

The ideal time to return was a few months ago. Now? Maybe best to steer clear of South Carolina?

This woman clearly qualifies for a government vaccine as she has at least one of the seven underlying conditions (Cancer).

She should be able to get AZ, maybe Pfizer, relatively easily, although I'm not sure where in Thailand she is based. The issue with AZ will be the 8/12/16 week wait between doses, and then the 2-4 week wait for full efficacy.

She should register at intervac, expatvac, nearest hospital. IMO, the Embassy should reach out subtly and assist this woman to get a vaccination.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

the Embassy should reach out subtly and assist this woman to get a vaccination.

The Embassy rarely reaches out to individual cases, except in case of incarceration they will send consular staff (or Red Cross rep) to visit and confirm the person has not been abused...other than that...parties to plan and that lawn (with private lake) at the Ambassador's residence doesn't take care of itself.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

The Embassy rarely reaches out to individual cases,

I know that, I was expressing an opinion, an aspirational hope, something I would do were I in a position to help. And maybe, just maybe encourage someone else (NGO) to help.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NightSky said:

The article is reporting someone in remission from cancer looking for some help, do you have any compassion?

I had cancer and no one I wasn't friends with had any compassion for me. Why are we supposed to have compassion for people just because they pop up on a forum thread?

The world has 8 billion + people and probably most of them could do with a bit of compassion, but many will never get any, IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Benmart said:

No shortage of critics who most likely have never spoken to this women. Plenty of scolds saying "she should have", when most likely they are not paying her way in life. Anyone have cancer and in a similar condition? Please speak up.

Lots of people have or had cancer but didn't go on the media looking for attention. I had cancer, at the same time as I was posting on TVF, but I didn't post about it at the time.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tonray said:

The Embassy rarely reaches out to individual cases, except in case of incarceration they will send consular staff (or Red Cross rep) to visit and confirm the person has not been abused...other than that...parties to plan and that lawn (with private lake) at the Ambassador's residence doesn't take care of itself.

1) The embassy reaches out to individual cases all the time.

2) The embassy never sends a "Red Cross rep" to check on American prisoners.

3) American Citizen Services staff do that job full time. The ambassador's protocol staff are completely separate.

4) The "private lake" at the ambassador's residence is a catchment klong for drainage, and can't be filled in without causing massive flooding during the rainy season. It is not particularly scenic, except from a distance. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

"Eighteen months, the restrictions have eased up, but she does not have access to an FDA approved vaccine."

There are no FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines.

Soon to come, soon to come. September at the earliest as I posted in a previous post.

First that better.be an old picture of her.  No mask and in a classroom.

As to vaccination there have been many alternative ways to get the vaccine.

Considering that the article is from an American newspaper I think that her family wants the taxpayers to lay on a flight for mom to come home.

Also as with a lot of more whine please people they did not do their homework.

As stated she can fly home anytime she wants, vaccines AZ have been available and gotten by a lot of people.  If she has medical team here they would be able to arrange it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

I’ve survived cancer and now want to win the lottery but can’t, but I’m not whining about it.

SmartyMarty, from experience once you have suffered  surgery, gruelling Chemo and a long wait to hear the doctor say" good news" the last thing you think of is winning the lottery

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

The article is reporting someone in remission from cancer looking for some help, do you have any compassion?

Very little compassion on this thread so far.

Lot of callousness though. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Punctuation
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Study: Cancer survivors, not just current patients, are at high risk of COVID-19 symptoms. [..], compared to those never diagnosed with cancer, long-term cancer survivors are at higher risk of developing severe symptoms from COVID-19. (emphasis theirs)

https://www.cancercenter.com/community/blog/2021/04/covid-cancer-survivors

OTH, scientists suggests not winning the lottery helps protect you from COVID.

Good for you not winning! Just don't get on a plane without a vax.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

Incompetence doesn't deserve compassion.

There are too many bad things happening to strangers I don't know. Are we supposed to feel compassion towards every stranger in the world?

I'll reserve my compassion to people I actually know.

Compassion without action is useless.

Lets see, Asking Senators for something that does not exist yet. Wait in Thailand as the Covid problem gets worse, then go to a crowed hospital with un tested people, to get the first of your Covid shots, wait again for the second.  All the while chancing getting it from everyone you come in contact with. Or go to a clinic, get tested, have someone drive to the airport, be on a plane with other tested people, in the US in 24 hrs, get tested again if she wishes, get a vacs the same day you arrive, be with her family.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

She can fly back to the USA.  Nothing prevents that.  No mandatory vaccination is required yet.  Negative test results are required before being allowed on the aircraft.

If I wished to fly back to UK (in the absence of any vaccines for this 78 year old without visiting the BKK Covid epicentre), how would I go about getting a (negative) test result?  Visit a hospital?  At Suvarnabumi?  Can one buy an air ticket without one?

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If I wished to fly back to UK (in the absence of any vaccines for this 78 year old without visiting the BKK Covid epicentre), how would I go about getting a (negative) test result?  Visit a hospital?  At Suvarnabumi?  Can one buy an air ticket without one?

Which non covid epicentre airport/flight do intend using?