Thailand reports 19,603 new COVID-19 cases, 149 more deaths

webfact

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your predictions of a peak are dreams I believe, but if you don't go big in your predictions then well you just need to go home without trying. Make sense now?, or not.  It's a Monday and weekend numbers with little testing. Many are testing with the ATK rapid tests and not included in the numbers.  

Yes lets wait and see its partly positive at least better as higher numbers again.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

How could it possibly be going down, really? When comparing it to the surging cases in the US, among most other places, where there are far, far more people vaccinated, it seems highly improbable. Of course, people's behavior is different in the two countries and there are different restrictions here than in the US, and probably more mask wearing but the restrictions are not particularly limiting and I see plenty of people getting together for dinners and drinking, no masking, etc... My impression is that this thing will not go away until the vast majority are vaccinated, have gotten antibodies from having it, or die.

Usually the weekend has less testing so that could be a factor. I think its best to wait and see, but i prefer seeing numbers going down then going up. Best to give it a few days and see how things are moving then.

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

How could it possibly be going down, really? When comparing it to the surging cases in the US, among most other places, where there are far, far more people vaccinated, it seems highly improbable. Of course, people's behavior is different in the two countries and there are different restrictions here than in the US, and probably more mask wearing but the restrictions are not particularly limiting and I see plenty of people getting together for dinners and drinking, no masking, etc... My impression is that this thing will not go away until the vast majority are vaccinated, have gotten antibodies from having it, or die.

Where are u seeing the dinners  and drinking? 

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Where are u seeing the dinners  and drinking? 

In Chiang Mai, on personal property, either inside a yard or half on the sidewalk in front of a shop house. Not in restaurants...all private affairs. But some of them are big, 10-12 people. Or 3 or 4 friends having BBQ's with beer and whiskey.

• Like 1

Today's daily total case numbers from the MOPH website. 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

At this rate we will see over 1 million cases by the months end and just under 10k deaths in totals. I am hopeful that with more people becoming vaccinated the numbers will eventually come dow.  I would like to know how many of those vaccinated have had breakthrough cases. This of course will be the view for folks needing boosters.Screenshot_20210809-095517_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b991da12605d6157e3eed295d8bf7a1c.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Not uncommon to see the overall case numbers subside some on Sunday or Monday, followed by a continued increases later in the week. That's where the trend lines occur.

Meanwhile, new record highs again today for critical condition COVID cases and critical cases on ventilators.

--Record critical condition COVID cases: 5,218, up 61 from the day before. Now third consecutive day above 5,000 critical cases.

--Record critical condition COVID cases on ventilators: 1,084, up 14 from the day before.

Critical condition COVID cases:

July 9 -- 2,685

Aug. 9 -- 5,218

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

More than 57,000 frontline medics given Pfizer booster shot

The Department of Disease Control said on Sunday that from August 4 to 7, more than 57,000 medical professionals who had previously got two jabs of Sinovac vaccine were given a dose of Pfizer vaccine to boost their immunity against Covid-19.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004401

The medical workers are now finally given the protection they need thanks to the Americans . The other nations that donated only to there own citizens should be embarrassed . 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Today's daily total case numbers from the MOPH website. 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

At this rate we will see over 1 million cases by the months end and just under 10k deaths in totals. I am hopeful that with more people becoming vaccinated the numbers will eventually come dow.  I would like to know how many of those vaccinated have had breakthrough cases. This of course will be the view for folks needing boosters.Screenshot_20210809-095517_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b991da12605d6157e3eed295d8bf7a1c.jpg

As I stated Saturday.

"For this reporting week and this is from the 'official numbers' Thailand had 121,208 new infections and 1,076 deaths. At this rate August will see around 500,000 new infections and around 4,000 deaths. This month will also at this rate see Thailand cross the 1,000,000 infections mark and close to or greater than 10,000 deaths......"

Just now, Misty said:

I'm really glad that medical workers are now getting the Pfizer vaccines.  However, the donations from other nations are helpful too - those donations remove the burden of vaccination from the Thai system, and mean there are more vaccines available locally for others who may need them.

Priority for the medical workers is obviously first . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your predictions of a peak are dreams I believe, but if you don't go big in your predictions then well you just need to go home without trying. Make sense now?, or not.  It's a Monday and weekend numbers with little testing. Many are testing with the ATK rapid tests and not included in the numbers.  

Peak or no peak...that is the question.

Actually, it's not. What hits me seeing 'peak' predictions is that we have become inured to something that was almost unimaginable a year ago. Twice or three times as many people are passing from Covid in a single day than passed in the first year in Thailand, and we allow ourselves to become 'hopeful'. I understand our collective human need, but the last guy killed in a war is just as dead as the first.

I will be hopeful that this nightmare ends soon, but I will try to keep in mind that our fellows are still suffering and still passing by the day, even if the numbers might be fewer than yesterday.

I'm not being in any way critical....just pointing out how our nature grasps at anything that can be construed as positive. I guess that is what makes us human.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Good but too early to get your skis out. The slope might yet turn up.

Figures could rise again later in the week as the weekend has only just passed.

If still going down on Thursday a bit more reason for hope.

Surely we want  1 million cases a day , thus everyone infected after 70 days  ( in time for grand opening).  At circa 20,00 cases a day it will 'rip' through Thailand in 9 and a half years.

• Sad 1

Ever since the arrival of COVID-19 early last year, people have been taking precautions to protect themselves. Facemasks and alcohol sanitizing gel have become indispensable parts of our everyday lives. Yet, Thailand’s daily caseload of infections and fatalities has soared in recent months, compelling people to look for more ways to protect themselves.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/gadgets-that-have-become-vital-in-the-covid-19-era/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi Public Health Office has just announced they have 1,318 new cases and 6 more deaths. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (369), Bang Lamung/Pattaya (256), and Si Racha (367). 18,535 patients are now in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1424516950558871554

Further details:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/09/chonburi-announces-1318-covid-19-cases-with-six-new-deaths/

Shifting the blame again.

The opposition@MFPThailand accuses the govt of PM @prayutofficial,

based on a leaked document, of drafting an amnesty bill to exempt officials (which could incl. the PM and PH Min Anutin) who decided on #Thailand’s much-criticized vaccination policy from of criminal prosecution.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1424590115536441348

Anutin defends amnesty bill, says necessary to protect doctors from prosecution and allows them to make hard decisions.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/31014/anutin-defends-amnesty-bill-says-necessary-to-protect-doctors/

New field hospital on Bang Na-Trat ready to accept Covid-19 patients

The Saeng Haeng Jai field hospital on Bang Na-Trat KM 5 can accommodate 450 Covid-19 patients and is accepting registrations online and via the call centre.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004411

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:
Phuket is providing by default a very good study on breakthrough infections from western vaccines. The incoming travellers have all been double vaxxed, provided negative covid certificates before arriving and pcr tests on arrival and the stats so far are:

18,267 people arrived, out of that 52 have tested positive so a rate of 0.3%, which looks to be quite good.

The other study I hope they are doing is the amount of breakthrough infections in the community, numbers there seem to be going up, 84 local to be added today yet Phuket claims to have more than 70% vaxxed. Unfortunately they are not giving any details on that. With it being mainly Sinovac vaccines administered so far then it’s not surprising. 

"DAY 38: Report for the #PhuketSandbox: On 8th August, 638 international travellers (+33 from yesterday) arrived on 7 flights bringing the total to 18,267. So far, 52 people (+4) have tested positive. 347,814 room nights have been booked up until September."

8E88FCA6-86AC-4F76-8A62-00FC4FCF8465.jpeg

Why are you assuming that "The incoming travellers have all been double vaxxed"?

That is wrong. Look at Phuket Facebook pages and you'll see families are in the Sandbox. Kids under 18 traveling with parents don't need to be vaxxed. 

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has launched three initiatives involving screening, vaccination, and food distribution points for homeless groups in the capital, in a bid to contain the Covid-19 outbreak

In a post on social media on Sunday, BMA Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said: “There are more than 1,000 homeless people in Bangkok with high risk of virus infection. Therefore, the BMA is preparing to bring those people to Homeless Shelter, Protection Centre for the Destitute, and Mitmaitri Home. Homeless people have been refusing to enter these shelters, but as the virus is spreading among this group, the BMA has launched three initiatives to provide them with care.”

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004413

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The big question is whether the Delta variant will burn itself out, or require mass vaccination to slow it down.

India is given as an example of viral burnout, but it’s unclear if it actually subsided, or just moved away from the cities.

and i would add this question:

does the more transmissible delta variant mean the peak is reached even sooner than the peaks reached in countries last year ?  i'm not a math, statistics, or calculus expert but it seems like a more transmissible virus would lead to a higher cases per capita in a shorter time period when compared to the first couple strains.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

There are those that cling to the hope that this is a temporary drop so they can keep on bashing Thailand - actually, doesn't matter, they will find something else to feed their negativity, and there are the few of us that sigh in relieve that Thailand is probably on the mend. I am looking forward to the end of the lock down so people can go back to work to get money to buy food..... and all of us can go back to party like it is the last day of our lives!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1