Poll: Thais see lack of foreigners as major factor in obliteration of tourism industry - only a third ready to travel in Q4

webfact

3 hours ago, Shuya said:

99,9% of tourists wont come if you have to quarantine upon arrival, buy scam insurances and pay for several pcr tests just to find everything closed and a law enforcement who's having a field day. 

And hire personal security to visit waterfalls!

• Like 2

So they want foreign tourists back?  Easy fix: abolish quarantine for the fully vaccinated, get over 50% of the population fully vaccinated with a vaccine that actually works, and bring that Baht down a whole lot more.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Virt said:

For example, as long as they have their mandatory masks i'm not returning.

I used more than 700 single use masks in the last year in Denmark, so it's not like i refuse to wear masks and used them where it was required.

Just don't want to use them on my holiday, because they are a pain in the butt.

How about buying some 3M N95 washable masks? That's what I've got. I prefer a slight, oh so slight, pain in the butt over not being able to breathe. So many farangs here where masks only over mouth, if at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I am not overly concerned about the COVID or the infection rate.  I am able and ready and was prepared to go to Thailand earlier this year.  Semi retired, easily was staying for 90 days or more depending on my mood.  

I hate the pre travel complexity.  I do not like the curfew.  I do not like the shutdowns.  I do not like the ASQ.  However I can accept all those things.  I just do not trust what the Thai officials will do next.  Now they closed the beaches and the hotel/condo pools?  Goodness. So irrational.  What next?  Kick people out again?  More political unrest as the Thai people are getting frustrated.  Martial law?

Sounds like an amazingly idyllic place to come for some R&R

Just now, hotchilli said:

Sounds like an amazingly idyllic place to come for some R&R

Relaxing part of the R R yes. There are still plenty of ways to meet some friendly Thai tour guides, take aways etc.  But no swimming pool in such a hot climate?  Deal killer at the moment.  I can hang out in Thailand cheaper than I can hang out here in the USA and have more fun while I wait out buying my retirement home.  But not looking like it is going to happen this year.  So, back to Melbourne Florida.  Nice little beaches.  A bit Wat Thai in town with very good food every Sunday. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Emdog said:

How about buying some 3M N95 washable masks? That's what I've got. I prefer a slight, oh so slight, pain in the butt over not being able to breathe. So many farangs here where masks only over mouth, if at all.

not so sure the N 95s really are washable. Sure you can wash them but everything I read says they lose a lot of their capability each time

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emdog said:

It's not like i can't breathe in the single use masks i used the last year, and i worked many years in Class A sterile enviroment producing insulin,

so i'm used to wear masks and full protection gear daily.

I just don't want to use mask on my holidays, so staying home until then.

We dropped masks in denmark for some time now, except in public transport, but that demand only last 21 days more.

Then we can kiss the masks goodbye.

All because so many has been vaccinated, because even if we still have between 500-1000 new infections a day, the numbers are low in hospitals and hardly any new deaths. (80 in hospital today across Denmark yesterday and only 12 dead the last 30 days)

I hope Thailand speed up their vaccination program, so they too can get back to normal life and it's possible again to return with no restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So opposed to "quality vaccines", there must be worthless vaccines? Do I dare to guess which those might be? 

I'd suppose those that come with a brown envelope of instructions would be suspect, maybe ?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

An economy on par with Burundi, Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Yemen, and Sierra Leone. 

I've been to Sierra Leone.

We are a long long way from being on a par with them.

I've been to some terrible places in my time, but Sierra Leone was awful. Children with hands chopped off by drug crazed savages who thought that they were soldiers.

Worse even than the Isle of Man on a wet Sunday afternoon in March.

• Like 1

Yes pointless bilge.

its a worldwide pandemic of course tourism is devastated.

Thailand is well behind in any recovery because of the lunatics running the country trying to ignore covid for well over a year with miniscule testing and a pretense that somehow Thailand was miraculously virus exempt because of mask wearing and temp guns at 7/11 s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

Asking people now if they will travel once the situation improves is pointless. Once it does improve, I'm sure many will want to travel, but the big question is: How many will be able to afford it? The economic fallout is enormous.

I'm not sure you're entirely right on this one. Households in the UK are estimated to have saved an additional £190 billion during the pandemic, reaching the second highest level of savings on record, and there is a suspicion that this is part of the reason why the government is making overseas travel so unpredictable; ie to try and get people to spend as much as possible at home.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Oh boy…this story is tailor made for spidermike and one of his rants about the decline of tourism. He could copy and paste his entire list of grievances to this one.

Well you've been proven right but his 'rant' was both entertaining and spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I've been to Sierra Leone.

We are a long long way from being on a par with them.

I've been to some terrible places in my time, but Sierra Leone was awful. Children with hands chopped off by drug crazed savages who thought that they were soldiers.

Worse even than the Isle of Man on a wet Sunday afternoon in March.

Yes, I agree we are along way from that status and I sure hope it never happens. 

However, few would argue that Thailand is moving backwards, and the breakneck retrograde pace started long before Covid.

Let us hope the youth can arrest the decline. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I'm not sure you're entirely right on this one. Households in the UK are estimated to have saved an additional £190 billion during the pandemic, reaching the second highest level of savings on record, and there is a suspicion that this is part of the reason why the government is making overseas travel so unpredictable; ie to try and get people to spend as much as possible at home.

I was referring to Thai people, who (as per the results of this poll) say they won't travel in Q4 even if the Covid situation improves. I could have made that clearer, as the headline mixes foreign and domestic tourism, and I agree with what you wrote about the UK.

9 hours ago, Shuya said:

99,9% of tourists wont come if you have to quarantine upon arrival, buy scam insurances and pay for several pcr tests just to find everything closed and a law enforcement who's having a field day. 

People coming back from Thailand will most likely have to quarantine and be tested at there expense.

Two way street.

Edited by MrJ2U

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, got it. It's the reluctant foreigners fault for devastating Thailand's economy and its tourism - not the silly regulations.

(Dirty) ATM not come to Thailand, while Thailand has so much to offer: mandatory quarantine, silly and expensive insurance, rip-offs, everything except 7-Eleven closed, no interprovincial travel possible, rising Covid-19 numbers, unstable political situation... Shame on ATM!!

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, got it. It's the reluctant foreigners fault for devastating Thailand's economy and its tourism - not the silly regulations.

One could argue it was the Chinese's fault initially and then the farang for not wearing masks. 

1 minute ago, it is what it is said:

quite a few foreigners wore/wear masks, and quite a few thais didn't/don't.

Sure, but Thais outnumber foreigners. by 100-1. 

Different set of personal values, personal freedom is much more prominent in Americans, for example. 

Regardless of local pandemic state, people are not going to get on big petri dishes in the sky and fly (a lot of flights go through a 3rd hub) all the way to Thailand for a vacation.  There will likely be a long time til the air industry itself recovers worldwide - not just flights to Thailand because people's behaviour has been altered.  During the pandemic, flying has become even more of a hassle with PCR tests, potential quarantines both going and returning to Thailand.   The people that would be the most likely to fly to Thailand at this point would be those that stay here for long stretches of time (snowbirds, retirees, digital non-nomadic nomads working remotely, etc.). That being said, they could change things at least temporarily to remove some of the impediments:

• implementing 6 month visa-waiver with unlimited extensions
  • temporary reprieve from 3 month deposit rules, drop 90 day reporting
  • replace registering where you are staying once when you extend or land
  • implement a non-subsidized base public [private you have to pay more] healthcare system for people staying here long term [based on actuarial and estimated cost with a slight surcharge which is adjusted based on revenue needed... basically the same standard as the 30baht healthcare Thais receive -- but fully funded

It will not help too much, but when you have low demand you make adjustments - and right now you just have to be seen as welcoming. 

You can test people on landing for COVID, have them stay near one location for 5 days - then have the local authorities stop by for a second test.

15 hours ago, Emdog said:

So many farangs here where masks only over mouth, if at all.

Every time I am in the Big-CX mall I see the same farang walking through with his mask below his nose...... can't fix stupid. 

• Sad 1