Working outside Thailand with expired work permit

I'm currently employed by a large company based in Thailand however I recently returned to the UK and am working remotely. My work permit/business visa expires next month however I would rather remain here until the covid situation blows over in Thailand. As I understand, it is not possible to renew the WP/visa from outside Thailand. I'm assuming not, but am I allowed to remain employed and receive my salary into my Thai account with an expired work permit? Could anyone offer any suggestions for how I can remain employed but avoid returning to Thailand for the next few months? Many thanks for any replies in advance.

That's an interesting reversal of a usual question here.

I don't have a firm answer but I can't see any situation where this could cause problem.

If you want to be 100% sure, and your firm is willing to play ball, you could set yourself up as self-employed in your home country and invoice your company on a monthly basis.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can continue to work for a Thai company and get paid for it while out of the country if your employer agrees to do it.

No need for work permit while outside the country.

Is it possible that the employer extend the work permit while he is out of the country?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

That's an interesting reversal of a usual question here.

I don't have a firm answer but I can't see any situation where this could cause problem.

If you want to be 100% sure, and your firm is willing to play ball, you could set yourself up as self-employed in your home country and invoice your company on a monthly basis.

Why no ask the Admin. folks or layer who handles work permits/renewals for your company, or personally call the office at the Labour Dept., at Din Daeng which answers curly questions (sometimes called the complaints department but they do more than just handle complaints).

Many officer's in that office speak advanced English, they're good listeners and you'll get good cooperation and clear answers. And they give equal care and attention to all foreigners, same as to Thai folks who contact them.

17 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Is it possible that the employer extend the work permit while he is out of the country?

That is not possible.

When he is ready to return they will have to file WP3 application and send the receipt for it so he can apply for a new non-b visa.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

It's a good question and it seems like that ought to be possible. 

Unfortunately, the Labour Dept needs to see the original passport and work permit and needs a bunch of documents including a medical certificate from a Thai hospital to issue a new work permit.  And then Immigration needs to see a ton of paperwork, the original passport and work permit, and then the person themselves, face to face, to issue the visa extension.

2 minutes ago, Misty said:

It cannot be done for various reasons. See my previous post.

He would not have a valid visa or extension of any kind that is required to renew it,

YOU should consult this mattar first with your employer.

you better inform them about your situation and see if they approve it.

in case of legal dispute (for example, the U.K.  demanding taxes from you, or

you suing for injury while working) it is your employer who will be sued, and

than might sue you for breaching your contract and working from the U.K.

while your contract is in thailand.

1 hour ago, Misty said:

Unfortunately, the Labour Dept needs to see the original passport and work permit and needs a bunch of documents including a medical certificate from a Thai hospital to issue a new work permit.  And then Immigration needs to see a ton of paperwork, the original passport and work permit, and then the person themselves, face to face, to issue the visa extension.

Never submitted a medical certificate.

As I'm in the process of extending my WP (received extension stamp this week) I asked the lawyers.

WP can be extended without you attending the Labour office in person but as noted above L.O. need your medical certificate, your tax payment receipts, company documents, etc., your passport and WP book. So if in the country possible to do without you attending.

Your visa cannot be extended without you attending in person.

If your annual visa expires then automatically your WP expires.

4 hours ago, bigginhill said:

Is it possible for a Thai company to employ a foreigner to work abroad as an employee (not self employed), and that does not enter/work in Thailand, therefore does  not need a visa nor work permit?

Why would it not be possible for a Thai company to employ a foreigner.

What about the various companies and businesses with offices and etc in other countries. I am sure the have non Thai employees.