Thailand reports 23,418 new COVID-19 cases, 184 more deaths

webfact

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And today in another OP running currently a Senior Advisor to the MOPH and Anutin has come out stating that the Covid infections numbers are more than likely higher than being reported.  Yes folks the numbers we see here are not the totals, oh who would have believed that one, yes sarcasm in my tone.  Today as we took our Friday morning walk, and took care of the folks we do, I noticed a long que of people by the Silom MRT station next to Lumpini Park.  There were attendants dressed in the PPE clothes handing out paperwork, and so it appears they were doing more pop up testing.  Probably had a few hundred lined up.  

The numbers are increasing daily and nowhere near the downtrend stated for here in Bangkok as you can see with 5,161 cases, and nowhere near the crest of this wave.  My view is that it will be awhile longer before we start to see daylight and the numbers come down.  Waiting to see how the outer provinces are doing with todays numbers as well.

Stay safe folks and hopefully everyone can get vaccinated sooner rather than later.  Waiting on the GF's PCR test results from Wednesday to ensure she can see her doctor on Sunday, and today is the day the daughter will be retested and given a chest x'ray to see if she has truly recovered and then can come home to us.  These are very trying times as we all can see.  On a positive note it is a beautiful day today here in BKK.  Take care and enjoy what you can.

Best wishes for a good result on the Young Girl

Hopefully there will not be any " long " Covid symptoms or effects, which is something the Thai Authorities are keeping well quiet about.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Did the report say the 1.5 million donated doses are in the country already?  Donated does not necessarily mean they have arrived in country...

Read facts before posting and do not try to stir up irrelevant and impossible beliefs. :post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976:

Quote: Today, the United States donated 1,503,450 doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to Thailand.  This historic shipment, which reaffirms U.S. support to our oldest ally in Asia, arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport this morning.

Here is the link: 
1.5 Million Pfizer Vaccine Doses, Donated by the United States, Arrive in Thailand | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Thailand (usembassy.gov)

It is dated July 30 at the bottom of the page.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Did the report say the 1.5 million donated doses are in the country already?  Donated does not necessarily mean they have arrived in country...

Think they arrived July 31. They had many Thai officials standing next the Acting US ambassador to Thailand when the doses got here. They did sit in a warehouse for 6 days before moving 

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well, it's a global pandemic!  Are there any countries that haven't seen a rise in numbers at some stage?

Of course every country had a rise as we all started at 0 ????

But its sad to see countries rise again. We all hope that we get out of this. In my country its going well less and less people in hospitals only young people who get it because not vaccinated and partying too much. Still much better than before.

• Like 2

for thailand, the 7 day avg, daily death number on july 15 was 81.  on aug 1 it was 133.  as of aug 12 it is 182.  so increase of 52 over 81 is 64%.  increase of 49 over 133 is 37%.  as i've said before, i'm not an expert in math, statistics, calculus, etc..  but i think that tells you the rate of increase is slowing.  and i'd still attach a label of 'growing fast' but at least not as much.

you can see the data on this link (scroll to daily new deaths and click the 7 day moving average):

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well, it's a global pandemic!  Are there any countries that haven't seen a rise in numbers at some stage?

Simplistic reply.

Vietnam has now in place more strict 'lockdown' than some ASEAN countries. Certainly more severe than Thailand. 

The new cases is on strong trend upwards. Haven't read anything re Lambda strain that was recorded there. 

Think it's only on WHO list as 'variant of interest.

36 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

So what is Chang Mai doing so differently to the rest of Thailand that has allowed it to escape this latest outbreak so far?

likely nothing, if you don't do anything what is there to report

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Simplistic reply.

Vietnam has now in place more strict 'lockdown' than some ASEAN countries. Certainly more severe than Thailand. 

The new cases is on strong trend upwards. Haven't read anything re Lambda strain that was recorded there. 

Think it's only on WHO list as 'variant of interest.

Well, the comment I was replying to was very simple.  But your more detailed comment is interesting.  Is the fact that cases (and deaths?) in Vietnam are still rising despite the severe lockdown, attributable to the new strain or the ineffectiveness of the lockdown?

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well, the comment I was replying to was very simple.  But your more detailed comment is interesting.  Is the fact that cases (and deaths?) in Vietnam are still rising despite the severe lockdown, attributable to the new strain or the ineffectiveness of the lockdown?

I been reading your posts for weeks - if you hadn't told us you had a business here I would have guessed it anyway, yes it is sad that businesses across the country are suffering and I assume yours is no different, it would be normal for you to keep playing down the pandemic because you are focused on other things like your income, I don't know what sort of business you are involved in - it is likely something you offer to farangs that they probably do not need like getting a drivers licence and charging stupid money for a service that is quite frankly pointless. 

Maybe you should concentrate on the cluster that is actually going on in the country and recognise that your business interests are not going to resume any time soon - if ever 

It is what it is, not facing reality doesn't really help you does it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, smedly said:

I been reading your posts for weeks - if you hadn't told us you had a business here I would have guessed it anyway, yes it is sad that businesses across the country are suffering and I assume yours is no different, it would be normal for you to keep playing down the pandemic because you are focused on other things like your income, I don't know what sort of business you are involved in - it is likely something you offer to farangs that they probably do not need like getting a drivers licence and charging stupid money for a service that is quite frankly pointless. 

Maybe you should concentrate on the cluster that is actually going on in the country and recognise that your business interests are not going to resume any time soon - if ever 

It is what it is, not facing reality doesn't really help you does it.

I think you're confusing me with someone else.  I don't have a business here, just a teaching job and a family.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand continues to struggle to contain the third wave of the pandemic with the Thai public health system put to its limit with hospital beds scarce and morgue space even more scarce

Thanks for all the ongoing links you provide. Yes indeed that link is very sobering to say the least. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think you're confusing me with someone else.  I don't have a business here, just a teaching job and a family.  

then you are working but not right now, same context in meaning - your income has stopped and that is what you are focused on 

Your teaching job would start much faster if this government hadn't made and is still making a total shambles of this pandemic - the sooner you realise that the better, this country will not see anything close to normality until 60m people have recieved at least 2 doses of an effective vaccine, the sooner you accept that the better 

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not down to new strain. That would be headline world news.

As for lockdowns.....they don't stop the spread. They are hopefully slowing spread down. That's simply buying time for vaccination program and to hopefully avoid collapse of medical support.

Yes Vietnam has restrictions such as 6pm curfew etc. The increase in cases and deaths being labeled a "lockdown failure" would only be truly known if we had numbers for NO lockdown. Meaning what would situation be in Vietnam if they did zero restrictions.

Thank you. A voice of reasoning in the wilderness of "lockdown mania". 

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Quote: Today, the United States donated 1,503,450 doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to Thailand.  This historic shipment, which reaffirms U.S. support to our oldest ally in Asia, arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport this morning.

Here is the link: 
1.5 Million Pfizer Vaccine Doses, Donated by the United States, Arrive in Thailand | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Thailand (usembassy.gov)

It is dated July 30 at the bottom of the page.

What I wonder is how the vaccines are handled after arriving.  Shipped in containers with dry ice that only lasts 24 hours I read somewhere.  Where do the Thai hospitals put them after 24 hours?  Pfizer vaccine must stay at 2-8 degrees!  I would assume 1.5 million doses take up a lot of space in the freezer

• Like 2

This is the first time I have seen vaccine being offered to children 12-18 years old. Have you seen elsewhere? I know the French embassy were planning on vaccinating French children. From what I understand, Pfizer is the only vaccine to be approved by the FDA for children so far.

Quote Tweet

Samut Prakan Hospital has announced they will be offering Pfizer to 4 groups of people, including children 12-18 years old with underlying conditions, on 15th August. [1/2] #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1426034867687497734

• Thanks 1