Former revenue chief and senior official get life for ฿3bn illegal tax refund

webfact

166C858F-364C-422D-8331-FAB04086BEFB.jpg

Former Revenue Department Director-General Sathit Rangkhasiri and a former Bangkok-based senior revenue official, Siripong Riyakarnthirachote, were sentenced to life in prison by the Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases today (Thursday), for approving about three billion baht in tax refunds to 25 companies in 2012 and 2013.

The third defendant, Prasit Anyachote, was given six years and eight months, while the fourth, Kittisak Anyachote, was acquitted.

The court ordered the three convicts to be collectively held accountable for compensating the Revenue Department for the 3 billion baht in illegal value-added tax refunds.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/former-revenue-chief-and-senior-official-get-life-for-฿3bn-illegal-tax-refund/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd like to think if I ever had the opportunity to swindle 3 billion baht, I'd also have the sense to leave the country the next day

Good point, but maybe they were assuming people in high places would protect them?

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good point, but maybe they were assuming people in high places would protect them?

look we are dealing with all the bad corrupt people ..........see

while both your arms are in the cookie jar up to the elbow 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jvs said:

Goes to show how arrogant these kind of people are,new brooms are needed in Thailand along

with a fresh wind.

New brooms have a tendency to sweep the same way as the old one... new face new opportunities for self enrichment.

54 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Three billions Eh? the balls on them guys are something to envied but also learn a lesson for some...

Out of which they had to pay protection money to their bosses/ receivers' bosses.  It only comes to light when the money trail/gravy train goes wrong.  Most days it doesn't.

5 hours ago, jvs said:

Goes to show how arrogant these kind of people are,new brooms are needed in Thailand along

with a fresh wind.

Speaking of arrogant, I remember during the Saudi gems scandal (when a Thai working as a servant for a member of the Saudi royal family helped himself to some of their jewels) the wife of a (the) Thai police chief attending a function wearing one of the stolen jewels that had been recovered. The jewels were eventually returned - except they weren't. Thailand sent back fakes instead, an investigator working for the Saudis was killed in mysterious circumstances and diplomatic relations were broken off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Speaking of arrogant, I remember during the Saudi gems scandal (when a Thai working as a servant for a member of the Saudi royal family helped himself to some of their jewels) the wife of a (the) Thai police chief attending a function wearing one of the stolen jewels that had been recovered. The jewels were eventually returned - except they weren't. Thailand sent back fakes instead, an investigator working for the Saudis was killed in mysterious circumstances and diplomatic relations were broken off.

Do not even need to be that high up. Few years ago , an Arab guy had his car stolen from big c extra in Pattaya . Big c manager told him he was an Arab , rich , can go buy new car 

The corruption epidemic in Thailand has been strengthening for many years. Click on max at the top of the graph linked to get data going back to 1995

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/corruption-rank

Here is a particular armed forces related one. Seems there was officially no corruption found. The wikipedia link gives just a basic outline, worth having a dig around if you are interested and live outside Thailand or have a VPN. Access to the more in depth info not easy to get within country. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajabhakti_Park

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd like to think if I ever had the opportunity to swindle 3 billion baht, I'd also have the sense to leave the country the next day

I think this means they approved tax breaks totalling 3Bn to the companies thereby causing losses to the Treasury. In return they accepted 'gifts' ?

11 hours ago, Hayduke said:

But everyone can't just leave the country. The real lesson learned is that if you rip off 3 billion Baht….make sure the boss gets his cut.

That's the most likely reason for their fall: not sharing with others above.

8 hours ago, BestB said:

From my understanding they approved refunds to companies , so why not make an order for companies to repay the money ?

I am sure they got a kickback for approvals but nowhere near 3 billion 

You are on to something there. 

Either the companies involved have directly paid a bribe to the RD officer or they have used a 'consulting' firm who offered a headache free tax refund for a sizeable chunk of the returned tax as their 'consulting fee', which is is then split between the relevant parties.

Either way, the companies involved are part of the problem !

If you can target them with appropriate and enforced legislation, then their opportunity and motivation to pay such bribes will quickly diminish.

Anyway, from fairly recent experience shared by friends, the RD officers are still very actively playing this game...