Thailand to gain 31,000 new hotel rooms

Jonathan Fairfield

27 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

126 hotels with 31,053 keys

If me & the Mrs are staying, do we get TWO keys?

And that is an AVERAGE of 246 keys? per hotel.    Really?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If me & the Mrs are staying, do we get TWO keys?

And that is an AVERAGE of 246 keys? per hotel.    Really?

All the locations highlighted in the map were tourist areas.  I suspect this is tracking the major hotel chains / hotel chain franchisees that build the big hotels -- not your regional ones that create the small boutique hotels.   The one that use to be close to where I lived (in Canada), Chelsea hotel was 26 floors 1500+ rooms.  So lets say in an average 12 floor hotel you might have 500 rooms.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet the Hotels like Marriot, Aetas, SO Bangkok, and a few other large ones have been shut now here in Bangkok for most of 2020, and this year as well.  Nothing like an empty hotel with hundred's of rooms, restaurants and all staff laid off.  Why build new ones, or why build new condos, the answer is they either have money to burn in order to take a write-off or they really expect SE Asia and Thailand to grow in tourism more than it did before.  I think it will take many, many years to recover, and these locations will sit unused or still un-opened.

I know when I did long-stay at Mayfair, Bangkok - Marriott Executive Apartments (Mayfair on Langsuan) -- the hotel was Marriott but was not owned by Marriott.  It was owned by Thais (land owned by Thai, building owned by Thai) but was basically a Marriott franchisee.  I have no idea if this is done by region or specific building (i.e. one building different franchisee in Bangkok than another)... but I could see it being a bunch of different developers/franchisee investors and not the Hotel chain itself (I suspect the Hotel chain will end up making money regardless of whether a hotel is viable). 

And as soon as they finished being built, a for sale or rent signs will go on all of them... why build if you can pick many hotels that have shut down for a fraction cost of a new hotel and put a for sale and for rent signs on them...

3 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

That segment of life in Thailand may be many many years off in the future.

I don't think so. I guess that the sex tourists will be the first ones that will come back. They must be so horny in the meantime... ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gold Star said:

As Thailand is one of the rare few countries in the world that accepts and thinks Sinovac is a vaccine, the hordes of Chinese will have few other places they can go other than coming here. 

Smart move on the Chinese part.

Mandarin lessons may be as necessary as your vaccine card to work in the tourist industry.

I suspect that this is part of a very specific "re-orientation" of the tourist business. In fact probably better described as a " new" tourist industry, aimed exclusively at the Chinese market. Thailand will become a Chinese holiday centre. The business to be controlled by the "usual suspects" who previously had little or no interest in tourism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Think big, 100 billion Baht plan (3.2 billion USD).

And papa has real big money.

If this tsunami comes over Pattaya you will hardly recognize it.

Already spent some peanuts (550 million Baht) for a hotel/plot on Jomtien beach.

The new MICE center on the east coast.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rgluckman/2021/07/08/thai-real-estate-giant-bets-big-on-tourism-rebound-with-32-billion-growth-plan/?sh=3957778c3ecd

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1