Lockdown set to be relaxed next week: DDC

Jonathan Fairfield

26 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Grey area businesses such as 'massage', 'bars', 'restaurants' and other similar ventures that foreigners mostly fall into will always struggle as they don't properly register their employees, pay as little tax as possible and thus always get shortchanged from the government when it comes to getting handouts.

We have received compensation and the employees received money also even just last month from the social.  

Our accounts and legal teams are top notch though, if one was using a former bar-girl or go-go dancer to manage this sort of stuff I could see it going badgery ping-pong fairly quickly. 

good point, and a number of small Thai owned businesses also don't pay tax and don't properly register their staff, a big mistake eventually in this environment

which means, that a lot of those micro and small businesses are not going to survive because they couldn't get government funding and I bet there are quite a few of those to be significant enough to have a big impact on jobs and future economic prosperity.

large corps like yours always get away with things because they have the staff and legal structure to "save" themselves, 

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Probably because waves follow the same pattern regardless of restrictions, they always peak and start to drop once a certain amount of people already got infected(and we all know there are way more than reported)

The virus is endemic now and more and more recoveries are reported...as expected, regardless of any restrictions imposed. No way to isolate the entire population - people have to eat and survive, so the virus will continue it's course and eventually become just another flu- type cold. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This was from last June:

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Cabinet has approved a proposed compensation scheme for businesses and workers affected by the semi-lockdown order in six provinces, setting up a 2.5 billion baht budget for payments of compensation.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210708162518867

Grey area businesses such as 'massage', 'bars', 'restaurants' and other similar ventures that foreigners mostly fall into will always struggle as they don't properly register their employees, pay as little tax as possible and thus always get shortchanged from the government when it comes to getting handouts.

We have received compensation and the employees received money also even just last month from the social.  

Our accounts and legal teams are top notch though, if one was using a former bar-girl or go-go dancer to manage this sort of stuff I could see it going badgery ping-pong fairly quickly. 

None of this approved money made it to any business, because if it did, government would not be getting sued and businesses would not be shutting down.

But you would know better after all you a big mogul with accountant and legal team of top notch, while everyone else uses using a former bar-girl or go-go dancer????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pizzachang said:

The virus is endemic now and more and more recoveries are reported...as expected, regardless of any restrictions imposed. No way to isolate the entire population - people have to eat and survive, so the virus will continue it's course and eventually become just another flu- type cold. 

that's basically the conclusions everyone are having, despite being "attacked" and "reported to mods" on it by certain members here, it's game over for lockdowns, was fun in the beginning, not so much now ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestB said:

None of this approved money made it to any business, because if it did, government would not be getting sued and businesses would not be shutting down.

But you would know better after all you a big mogul with accountant and legal team of top notch, while everyone else uses using a former bar-girl or go-go dancer????

it did, but for large businesses, not the small ones. Since most small owners of Thai businesses "like" to avoid paying tax, they can't complain when they don't get government support.

One exception though, if they are VAT payers, it's a form of tax, and the Thai government could "postpone" or forgive "VAT payments" for small businesses to help them through. This is what some European countries did in 2020 and early 2021

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

it did, but for large businesses, not the small ones. Since most small owners of Thai businesses "like" to avoid paying tax, they can't complain when they don't get government support.

One exception though, if they are VAT payers, it's a form of tax, and the Thai government could "postpone" or forgive "VAT payments" for small businesses to help them through. This is what some European countries did in 2020 and early 2021

utter bs, i was in the SME bank with hundreds of others, with hundreds of pages of company records and not a single one got a single baht, 

and not only government has not reduced or suspended any tax payments, but has not given any tax breaks or tax refunds.

Stop spreading utter bs or what you read, reality is far from the bs being posted as propaganda.

Local authorities demand sign tax on time and penalize for late payments, even though many have been closed for most part of the year. 

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

utter bs, i was in the SME bank with hundreds of others, with hundreds of pages of company records and not a single one got a single baht, 

and not only government has not reduced or suspended any tax payments, but has not given any tax breaks or tax refunds.

Stop spreading utter bs or what you read, reality is far from the bs being posted as propaganda.

Local authorities demand sign tax on time and penalize for late payments, even though many have been closed for most part of the year. 

maybe different experience, different people. I know of small businesses who got their funding, yet insufficient, but they had all the proper paperwork. So it's not bs, you were just not one them. Probably government redtape so it's lucky draw.

11 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

The government compensation scheme is for Social Security-registered employees. I think you meant that. I applied for my staffs and they got compensation paid direct to their personal account.

As for VAT or Form 53, the regular period of payment is 7 days. We are now are allowed longer period till end of following month to pay. 

21 hours ago, Anton9 said:

Probably because waves follow the same pattern regardless of restrictions, they always peak and start to drop once a certain amount of people already got infected(and we all know there are way more than reported)

"(and we all know there are way more than reported)"

No, "we" don't "all know" that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I thought it was common knowledge that limited testing does not capture all infections so his statement is correct or do you disagree?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BestB said:

It’s happy and scary time . O one hand happy to hear restrictions will be eased , on the other hand 17000 a day is hardly a reason to ease anything .

before numbers were 10000, more restrictions were introduced in fear of hitting 10000., but now at 17000 restrictions be eased.

and I still find it fascinating that after Prayut made a statement , numbers started to decline on daily basis and recoveries remained high and about the same.

is it possible government is now playing Russian roulette as they out of money and out of ideas or was it not as bad as initially they made it out to be .

I will say though , Thailand is lucky not to have Australian politicians who locked down the country over 400 cases and vowed to keep it locked down until 70% are vaccinated 

My take on the situation is that the Gov,t are playing Russian Roulette with the entire situation.

There appears to be an all guns blazing attitude toward the Country opening up completely in October.

The Infection numbers started to decline the Day that ATK test kits were starting to be used.

Little, or no recourse to who has bought or used them, or the results, whether negative or positive,

Perfect smoke screen. And for a Mid October opening this would be the time to start the smoke screening.

But of course, I could well be wrong.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, djayz said:

Although I'm sick and tired of  these lockdowns, and long for life to go back to the way it was (notice how I avoided using "normal"), I can't help but feel that it might be a tad too early to open up again. 

Yes, I know that a lot of people and businesses are hurting, but what if infection rates start climbing again? What do we do then? Another lock down? 

Would it not be more sensible to leave things as they are for a few more weeks in the hope that this thing will blow over? 

"in the hope that this thing will blow over? "

A tad optimistic, I think! In the same way as the hot weather at Songkran was going to blow it away last year?

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have a fair amount of experience with Thai labour protection laws, I employ close to 3800 Thais at the moment. 

How many do you employ? 

i dont comment on your things bcs ...

but i always wonder how managers with 3800 employees  have time  for to post 1000s of messages in a year

without any employed people  idont have the time to post that in 10 year ,what you post in 1 year

i think i have the wrong job

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

l

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

You can't get herd immunity if vaccinated people can still spread the virus.

Also you can get infected more than once even when fully vaccinated.

Vaccines make it more manageable by preventing the health system collapsing and reducing the deaths.

Initially it was thought to be like measles - catch it once and you're safe. Once that got debunked, the herd immunity idea was toast.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

You do remember how they would not have been able to form a coalition government, so changed the rules in their favour, after the election, to allot more seats to the small parties, and this was just enough to get them over the edge. Without that "rule change", they would not have been able to form the government. 

At what point have the electorate had a chance to decide after the coup? Are you living in an alternate universe where there have been multiple free and fair elections since the coup? I think the daily protests in BKK might suggest that not all Thai people are happy with the current government.

Going by numbers, Palang Pracharath got 18 party-list seats and 14 small parties alligned to Palang got 12 seats. Some of these small parties didn't even win any single seat in the constituency race. As for Pheu Thai, they got none. Switch-a-roo of the election laws by the junta immensely help the cause of Palang. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 2long said:

Interesting to see that there's still a fair number of negative people on here, and those who want the lockdown to continue. Maybe they are retired and live out of town. 

Yes, many locals in the same situation want lockdown to continue, but most people want and need to get back to being able to earn money, spend money and get their kids to school.

If the cases are way higher than reported (which I believe to be the case) and deaths and hospitalisations level off or decrease, then we need to open up. Gradually yes, but start opening up on Sept. 1st.

If something we are learning from the lockdowns is that Schools and heavy Traffic are related. Perhaps we should consider a remote educational approach as a viable option for the sanity of our cities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

good point, and a number of small Thai owned businesses also don't pay tax and don't properly register their staff, a big mistake eventually in this environment

A recent news piece on the morning news - about two months ago on Channel 3 or 7,  made me chuckle. When the small businesses all registered for the 50:50 scheme they didn't realize that the government now could work out fairly easily how much income these businesses were actually getting  - as the government was subsidizing 50% of the cost.  Many of those businesses the got caught out when it came to doing their taxes and got a bit of a shock when the tax man came knocking asking for tax and the business owners were left without a leg to stand on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thorix said:

If something we are learning from the lockdowns is that Schools and heavy Traffic are related. Perhaps we should consider a remote educational approach as a viable option for the sanity of our cities.

Sanity of cities!!!...I think you need to consider the impact remote learning has on the sanity of parents, teachers and students. 

• Like 1

I think it is too soon, but what is the proper point to open?

Zero cases probably will never happen again.

I have somewhat enjoyed the lack of tourists but it has become eerie now and not good with all the continued people out of work.  

If they can figure out the safest way to do it, I think they should open.   At least start with outside dining and massage places and the malls maybe limiting entry.  

Got to try something different then what it is now.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
58 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I thought it was common knowledge that limited testing does not capture all infections so his statement is correct or do you disagree?

I don't disagree with your comment but my comment to him was "No, 'we' don't 'all know' that.   You may not have noticed the inverted commas and italics indicating some emphasis.   

• Sad 1

Thailand are going to follow the western countries… look what they are doing.

The western countries are opening up pretty quickly with vaccination rates at about 60%+ (double jabbed).  If Thailand can continue to vaccinate about 500,000 a day (the current rate) then it will get to 60% in December.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't disagree with your comment but my comment to him was "No, 'we' don't 'all know' that.   You may not have noticed the inverted commas and italics indicating some emphasis.   

Ok anyone that has half a brain cell knows it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

What is happening in Oz in simply insane in all aspects , from lockdowns over 400 people to having citizens wait for 6 -8 months to return and make them pay for all.

just the other day council ordered to shoot all dogs in rspca so rescue group do not have to come to pick them up as was arranged, in fear of covid spreading.

I live in Queensland and this pandemic (thanks to the Government here) has been better than what 99% of the world had experienced. We have utilised our god given gifts (namely isolated location) to our best advantage.

During this whole pandemic my kids have only been out of school for 5 days. We have been at the beach most weekends, enjoyed the parks and outdoors and loved pretty much a normal life.

There are ample vaccines here and we will almost certainly now out vaccinate the spread of Delta.

Business and workers were compensated for their time out of work.

What is there not to like about that? In what way is that insane?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Falcon said:

It probably won’t go up again, not officially anyway. They’ll just hide the real figures just as they always do in order to try to get the tourists back again so that the can get whatever money they can through it. I doubt very much if the government will let the figures be shown to go up again before the start of October, otherwise they’ll have to shelve the reopening of Thailand to whatever tourists want to come in. It’s all planned to show that Thailand is a safe country to come to. As is usual with Thailand, money number 1.

Nonsense.  So why did they allow the numbers to shoot up from a few hundred to over 20,000??  And why did they let the numbers of deaths skyrocket?  Why didn't they say the numbers levelled off at 1,000 so all the tourists can come.  They would have done using your logic because "money number 1" (well done for getting that TVF catchphrase in there).

Your own logic destroys your own argument.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cooked said:

By 'cases' you presumably mean positive PCR tests. 

So: what percentage of people are being tested in India? I'm ready to bet that it's much less than in Thailand. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

India has more tests overall but less tests per 1m people, a good site for reference when comparing different countries.

Edited by Adywhu
  • Like 1

Then in 2 week's time the numbers just go up again.

Even in the UK, where 75% of the adult population has been vaccinated, and there is higher naturally acquired immunity, cases are running at 30,000 per day.  That doesn't matter so much there, because the vaccines are preventing deaths, but in Thailand it means carnage.

• Like 1