People who retire in Thailand - Whats your plan?

Leveraged

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My plan.

1. Rent my house out and retire at 55 to Thailand with the wife and family - done.

2. Stay in Thailand until 70 latest.

3. Return to the UK with the wife - old age health care and all that, and I do not want die in Thailand.

4. Death !

For me retirement to Thailand is a filler until old age and just pottering about in the garden with the wife until we fall apart !

Your wife doesn't have a say in this? You going to leave her alone in the UK?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And after 25 years in Thailand do you still have friends in the UK?

I think it must be hard if you leave all your friends from the last 25 years and your known environment behind you and "start new" in a country far away - even if you knew that country many years ago.

I know that is something that could happen to all of us. But at least I try to avoid that and I don't think I would enjoy life "back home".

15 years

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

In the one case I've personally witnessed, a retired Brit was married to a Thai woman for many years. When they were younger he took care of her and her two young children. When he got old and disabled she took care of him. She did everything, including going to immigration on his behalf. It was an extraordinary success.

Clean his ass etc

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

So your plan is basically no plan. Go, live as good of a life as you can, and let the chips fall where they may? 

Not knocking it, just curious. 

Yes, I think it is a good solution to have no plans for when to die, it reminds me of a friend of mine who at 28 had already bought a grave and so was happy to know where he would have lived when he died.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

With the ever shifting sands of Politics leadership etc, the changing of policies and regs on a whim of the latest apppointed "boss" the inconsistency from region to region  and even by office.

How can you possibly plan anything of any distance, you cant !

Throw in  the mix the pandemic and you have a total "Lord knows" .

Who new just 2 years ago we would be in a country decimated by the regime and the pandemic.

The immigration could change and any regs you think you have planned for are obsolete.

Hypothetically, Retirement changes to 2m , compulsory health care, any or all would mean hasta la vista to large portion of the expats, or a thriving business for agents depending on your viewpoint.

"What if" is just a crazy game of speculation, the best you can plan for is the next 12 months and anything beyond that, roll the dice, and anyone who has spent anytime in Thailand would know this and probably  has the T-shirt too.

Guessing, frankly,  quite pointless IMHO

Yes, but in the meantime we are waiting for this to happen and then no problem to return to the country, but now why take your head for something that is likely or that will never happen

The ONLY way to be a bit more certain of the future, is to get Thai Citizenship ! Health care is then no longer an issue and neither are visas permits  etc. (Those being the main stumbling blocks/concerns for most).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

With the ever shifting sands of Politics leadership etc, the changing of policies and regs on a whim of the latest apppointed "boss" the inconsistency from region to region  and even by office.

How can you possibly plan anything of any distance, you cant !

Throw in  the mix the pandemic and you have a total "Lord knows" .

Who new just 2 years ago we would be in a country decimated by the regime and the pandemic.

The immigration could change and any regs you think you have planned for are obsolete.

Hypothetically, Retirement changes to 2m , compulsory health care, any or all would mean hasta la vista to large portion of the expats, or a thriving business for agents depending on your viewpoint.

"What if" is just a crazy game of speculation, the best you can plan for is the next 12 months and anything beyond that, roll the dice, and anyone who has spent anytime in Thailand would know this and probably  has the T-shirt too.

Guessing, frankly,  quite pointless IMHO

It's hardly crazy speculation as it is not 'what if' but when if you are a  man of a certain age. Sure, you don't have to dwell on it, but knowing your options is helpful. For example Australia has many non expensive options for elderly care on a budget which might make returning to Australia sensible. For those with more money private health insurance cost is not based on age and there are limited waiting periods.  Lifestyle might be better too. Being 85 in Thailand might be good but might be terrible. 

The fact that they may throw you out in the meantime is a different topic in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Thailand would be a far better place to get care as an elderly person than literally any country in the West. Much cheaper as well.

Only the visa paperwork would be an issue, but you can probably find someone to help you with it.

Nobody would give a toss,what would Immigration do?  airline would not accept you either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradise Pete said:

In the one case I've personally witnessed, a retired Brit was married to a Thai woman for many years. When they were younger he took care of her and her two young children. When he got old and disabled she took care of him. She did everything, including going to immigration on his behalf. It was an extraordinary success.

Thats ok if your wife outlives you. 

But I didn't know you could have your spouse handle all your immigration business on your behalf. 

Everything ive seen says otherwise. You either do it yourself or an institution of some kind has to do it for you. 

7 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

Doesn't matter. What matters is that for most of us, our home or home country or "place where we were born" or whatever you want to call it, allows us to stay there without drama and provides at least some form of financial and medical aid. 

I take it you're not from Afghanistan, then?
Nor a Muslim from Myanmar?
etc.

9 hours ago, Chris.B said:

That leads to a secondary question.... 'do you consider the country you were born in as your home?'

I know what you mean but you asked incorrectly. You assume your country of birth is where you grew up. I was born in the old country but grew up in USA. I'm American.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BE88 said:

Yes, I think it is a good solution to have no plans for when to die

Couldn't agree more............................seriously depressing thread and I thought I 'thought too mut'! Just keep your options back home open and go with the flow...simps............

• Haha 1