People who retire in Thailand - Whats your plan?

Leveraged

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

In some western countries especially the U.S., your family sticks you in a lousy rest home, never visits you, and let's you rot until you die. 

Find a caregiver here or like the suggestion, a younger lady to take care is not that difficult.

Is the care-giver going to drag your crippled and mentally debilitated self to immigration? I got no issue with a care home or having people look after me if im out of it, but how to you do that while you're a goner? 

Ive never seen any type of these people in immigration in any of the hundred times ive been there. 

So how does it work in that case? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

In some western countries especially the U.S., your family sticks you in a lousy rest home, never visits you, and let's you rot until you die. You stare at TV all day, the food is terrible and everyone stinks.

Find a caregiver here or like the suggestion, a younger lady to take care is not that difficult.

The UK is the same !!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Keeping this simple, either bring in a massive amount of money or assume your life expectancy is going to be reduced here and/or you'll end up repatriating. 

Every time I seriously think this through, repatriating in my very very old years seems like the best/only responsible option. 

Honestly the thought of being old/crippled/mentally handicapped and extremely venerable in  Thailand during my oldest years makes me extremely uncomfortable. IMO it should make anyone uncomfortable. 

At least at home and no matter what ill be able to get medicare and dont need to worry about strung about by strangers. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

In some western countries especially the U.S., your family sticks you in a lousy rest home, never visits you, and let's you rot until you die. You stare at TV all day, the food is terrible and everyone stinks.

This is about right,here you can be looked after cheaply,there are places CM for instant,old folks homes...but you have to recognise,take choices

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I think having lived in the smog of Bangkok for more than a decade will greatly reduce the time I'll eventually spend demented in a retirement home.

I'm looking forward to my retirement here, and my plan is simply to enjoy it for as long as possible.

So your plan is basically no plan. Go, live as good of a life as you can, and let the chips fall where they may? 

Not knocking it, just curious. 

• Like 2