People who retire in Thailand - Whats your plan?

Leveraged

12 hours ago, Leveraged said:

Honestly the thought of being old/crippled/mentally handicapped and extremely venerable in  Thailand during my oldest years makes me extremely uncomfortable. IMO it should make anyone uncomfortable. 

Why do you think you will have all this things ? Old age is prepared long in advance ; physical and intellectual activity, healthy food, you can avoid many problems

one important thing, keep morale and don't think too much ( kit too mut ) of what has not happened yet 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

In some western countries especially the U.S., your family sticks you in a lousy rest home, never visits you, and let's you rot until you die. You stare at TV all day, the food is terrible and everyone stinks.

Find a caregiver here or like the suggestion, a younger lady to take care is not that difficult.

That's if you/they can afford a rest home/Sr. living center.  The cost of those are quite higher and just keep escalating.  They start at about 6,000USD a month for someone in pretty good health and can easily go up to $8,000USD and more depending upon level of care needed.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I think many older people who come to live in Thailand have no plan or 'what if' scenario, for when they get very old or seriously ill.  Just leave it to friends to pick up the pieces.  That's selfish.  Better to consider all possible what if scenarios, and plan accordingly, from returning to your home country, to local care-home in Thailand, to exiting this world on your own terms.

You cant live in what ifs. Nobody has to help them. 

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Everyone is going to get old,and die , thats a given.

My plan is to live a good life, eat good food, and

enjoy the weather, it's simple really , and try and

live as long as I can , I have a good family that will

look after me, when I cannot, 

regards worgeordie

That is the attitude to have. Family wise we’re in the same boat. I’ve been here now since 2007 and never been back home and my wife has no desire to visit either.

I don’t miss the snow, I don’t miss the freezing rain, but I do like the spring in the UK but not enough to even visit.

And my wife, who lived in the UK with me for several years said I do not want to get old here and she is ‘kin right.

• Like 1

OP has posed a few ‘piece of string’ questions and received a lot of (in)appropriate responses.

I’m in Oz and waiting for borders to reopen to join my partner in Thailand and have made all my decisions about marriage etc … plan to burn any bridge back to Oz.

The insurance thing concerns me though … I’m 69 now, likely 70 by the time a move is possible … I know 70 is a common cut-off date for getting a new policy …

any thoughts here? Is it possible (for example) for a non-Thai resident to sign up for health insurance with an immi-approved Thai insurer. 

Would hate to find out next year there’s something I ‘coulda done’ this year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

OP has posed a few ‘piece of string’ questions and received a lot of (in)appropriate responses.

I’m in Oz and waiting for borders to reopen to join my partner in Thailand and have made all my decisions about marriage etc … plan to burn any bridge back to Oz.

The insurance thing concerns me though … I’m 69 now, likely 70 by the time a move is possible … I know 70 is a common cut-off date for getting a new policy …

any thoughts here? Is it possible (for example) for a non-Thai resident to sign up for health insurance with an immi-approved Thai insurer. 

Would hate to find out next year there’s something I ‘coulda done’ this year.

Your best bet would be to reach out to local insurance brokers and some of the big name international insurers and ask for quotes. A top tier international company offered me this (part of a breakdown of a high tier policy offer) which is the type of insurance that would cover most eventualities in the more expensive hospitals (Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital groups) 

You can definitely go cheaper but you will have to go to cheaper hospitals. The your particular issue will be finding a company that guarantees you will be able to continue buying insurance past a certain age. This is what the Aetna rep in Thailand says for their company (which is a good one)

Thank you so much for your email

Please see my answer for your question

-          To apply health insurance before 60 years old will covered through 99 years old  

-          New applicant who age over 60+ will cover until 70 years old

-          Premium 0-65 years old provided for new applicant only  

-          The quotation for Family with 10 % discount can be provided, please kindly let me know age of your wife and child or their birthday

If any question please feel free to contact me.

Thailand UltraCare Individual Premiums 2021 M060-14E-010121.pdf

• Sad 1

My thoughts based on the top responses: 

1 ~ "My family will take care of me" - Ok, maybe, as long as you don't outlive your wife and don't mind being a burden on any children you may have by chaining them to your infirm living corpse until you die. Personally I would hate for my old self to be a burden holding my kids back from taking opportunities and living their lives and making a family of their own. 

2 ~ "Healthcare is cheaper and better quality than in the west" It statement is true until a point. This metric skews once you start needing serious healthcare on a constant basis. Most western government provided elderly healthcare starts really making itself worth it right at this point because it'll cover all of your expensive care in your later years. Stints? Covered. Replacement hip? Covered. Heartattack? Covered. Home nursing? Covered. Whereas Thailand's basic healthcare is cheap but REALLY adds up once you start needing constant care and have to pay for it all out of your retirement fund and pocket. IMO this camp hasn't really thought this one through. 

3 ~ "YOLO" - If you've spent your whole working life accumulating money for retirement and planning for the same, why on earth would you drop all foresight at the finish line and leave yourself open to possible disaster when you should be trying to protect yourself and your family the most? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

In some western countries especially the U.S., your family sticks you in a lousy rest home, never visits you, and let's you rot until you die. You stare at TV all day, the food is terrible and everyone stinks.

Find a caregiver here or like the suggestion, a younger lady to take care is not that difficult.

In some cases if you get the right thai lady she'll help you end your misery sooner than later.

• Haha 1

Everyone has their own outlook, expectations, and planning.  And as some people have said anything can happen anywhere.  I personally would not move to another country without a backup plan.  And I would not risk moving to another country without the proper income and medical insurance.  To me its too much of a risk.

Im 66 years old now.  I retired almost four years ago. I have been living in Bangkok for a little over two years now. I did visit here prior to moving here.  I always wanted to see what it would be like living overseas. Possibly it would also change my life.  When I took vacations I would mostly take them in different countries. Thailand was not my first choice to move to.  But it appeared one of the easiest to get a long term visa.

Fortunately because of my previous job I have decent retirement income, and excellent health insurance that covers me internationally.  I do pay for the insurance, but at a reduced rate. If I did not have these benefits, I would not have considered moving overseas. 

My initial goal was possibly living in Thailand long term.  But unfortunately it's not for me.  So if prices and inventory on rentals and real estate improve.  I will be moving back to my own country. Its only a matter of when.  

At age 74, 5 by-passes in 2005 (stateside) and heart attack 2015 in Chiang Mai (resultant stent, 2 additional angioplasties), I have thought about this. I keep up my monthly Medicare premium payments as a "fallback" for long term care if I can get on a plane. But, I came planning on remaining here until I go up the chimney in smoke at the local Wat. Married to a Thai (26 years younger) and she and her daughter have declared that they will see that I live to age 200 ... right. So, I think I will be taken care of. Then there are several long term care facilities in the area within my monthly budget affordability. Insurance, yes, I am on O-A Visa with the non-paying insurance required. When travel opens, will switch to O Visa so no insurance required. I do get $5000.00 coverage annually from US so that helps. Here a decade and all good ...

1. apply for Aetna insurance now. Then you can have insurance past any age requirement. I think if its if you apply prior to 60 yrs

2. If you're married apply for thai citizenship. No visa requirements after this

3. Young wife or child can look after you. Or go to nursing home. They are in most thai cities. Miserable option but if you're a lone rat then thats the dice that you rolled. 

• Like 1

Getting old is not easy in any country but yes a country like Thailand or the Philippines even has some

benefits if you can afford them. Like more affordable more pleasant care if your lucky

But yes as you said Health insurance can be sketchy price wise as you age in Thailand

They can & will price you out of their coverage & nothing you can do about it

Yes you can self insure for now but a ongoing problem can weaken your pot quickly

Also after this whole covid mess one thing that was already likely to happen surely will in the

next year or two & that is to make health insurance mandatory in Thailand to renew any visa extension full stop

You can bank on that one

Lastly is this...retiring in any foreign country where citizenship is unlikely possible as in Thailand for most....

the big danger is the moving of the visa extension goal posts

Anyone see what recently happened in Malaysia with the "My Second Home" program?

They quadrupled the requirements to stay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEekNSJzdo

So imagine in Thailand it is now 800k in bank to stay on retirement visa...Suddenly it will be 3.2 million next renewal!

Can you hack it? If not what is your plan B? Because many in Malaysia now wonder

We will see soon as many in Thailand are in fact winging it on a small income although they will claim otherwise

This whole covid thing is speeding up things that were coming anyway but the next few years are going to be ....interesting?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Leveraged said:

Is the care-giver going to drag your crippled and mentally debilitated self to immigration? I got no issue with a care home or having people look after me if im out of it, but how to you do that while you're a goner? 

Ive never seen any type of these people in immigration in any of the hundred times ive been there. 

So how does it work in that case? 

1. Planned for my retirement in my 20"s  and carry a health insurance policy that covers me anywhere in the world and presently pay lesss than $150 a month at 73. Cannot be cancelled because of age, health conditions. Life insurance policy for about  $200,000 which I can cancell to save money that wife and daughter share when I pass.  Employer pension that my wife will get for the rest of her life when i pass at 75% of what I get.

2. No need for a Non-OA visa , was on a Non-O retirement but now a Non-O Marriage. Can always switch back if she died or marry another . The reason you don't see  many care givers draging some old wheeel chair  farang to immigration is that the person can have a caregiver/friend submit the forms for them with a letter from a Dr saying it's necessary or use an agent to process the extension.

3.  After having a hear attack 7 years ago I considered it a wake up call.  After recovering fully I realised I brought it on myself by letting myself go, eating junk and not exercising and getting overweight. I had been an athlete all my life.  Got back to exercising , eating better (more fish, veggies, fruits), taking anti aging suppliments and feel great. If I have a stroke or become feeble weak I hope wifey will take care or I will find someone who will and there are some ederly homes here in Thailand  that I would rather be in then overpriced careless ones in the US.

19 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Planned for my retirement in my 20"s  and carry a health insurance policy that covers me anywhere in the world and presently pay lesss than $150 a month at 73. Cannot be cancelled because of age, health conditions.

Can you give any details of this policy and where you are getting it? 

• Like 1