Thailand develops robotic system to squeeze out more vaccine doses

Jonathan Fairfield

12 hours ago, Bluebottle64 said:

They've been secretly perfecting this technology for years in the bars at Nana ????

The Covid 19 flick of the wrist. I think I'd prefer the Full Monty? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Several thought sprung to mind when I read this Article.

The very first though was " why would a large Pharma Company give away 20 % extra with every Vial of Vaccine they sell "

The answer to that is ... They would not, the product is too valuable, and Pharma are notorious for wringing every cent from their products.

The second thought was " these Vials of vaccine are not filled by hand using a jug and funnel, they are filled on extremely accurate and calibrated Computerised Machines which will fill to a pre determined level, and accurate to within maybe about 2 % ( max overfill ) of Volume for the recommended doses of Vaccine.

Then I thought. If the Vial holds the recommended dosage for 10 Shots how do you get 12 Shots from the same volume

There are two ways essentially

The first is to " water down " the contents 

The second is to " short dose " the first 10 shots.

I think I will stay well clear of any AZ in the future if I get any choice at all.

They do “give away” up to 20%. The amount in each vial is not precise. They also add a little extra to account for human error.  The person filling the syringe can’t pull an exact dosage. They rather pull a little extra rather than not enough. If you fill exactly 10 doses,  they will likey only be able to get 9 doses.

In the US, they were initially tossing away any more than the “recommended” doses from each vial before they were given the OK to use them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/cuomo-says-moderna-vaccine-vials-hold-extra-doses-2020-12%3Famp

Edited by hioctane
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand seems to be run by children, so wondered what level/age? So dipped into some Piaget developmental stages:

"Conservation is the understanding that something stays the same in quantity even though its appearance changes. ... Conservation of number (see video below) develops soon after this. Piaget (1954b) set out a row of counters in front of the child and asked her/him to make another row the same as the first one." https://www.simplypsychology.org/concrete-operational.html