Can you live independently?

georgegeorgia

im interested to know how many of you expats live by yourself in Thailand/Asia?

I was reading on another forum where a expat in Pattaya commented that many of his expat friends apparently some were gay put up with a live in partner because they were lonely or needy .

They needed someone,i guess anyone .....and strangely the partners they were with treated them bad but they still were so "needy" old men they put up with it 

At the moment i live by myself and quite happy although i do get lonely,i tried the relationship thing for a short time,i dont think its for me

so my question is ,are you able to "look" after yourself or you need someone ?

is it strange to want to be by yourself and have no relationship.

how many of you actually live by yourself and have no family ?

my ideal retirement is to live in pattaya ,but im scared to be by myself,why i dont know 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I had a Thai GF about 12 years ago. We tried it for a year, then she started pressuring me to marry her. I could see that was going to end up a disaster, so we parted ways on very good terms, and when we bump into each other, we drop whatever we're doing, go for a coffee and catch up.

I'm in my mid-60's and have a very comfortable lifestyle in a 2 bedroom condo that has an ocean view. With a decent pension, I will never be rich, but If I want to buy a new motorbike, it's not a dear purchase. I do miss the trips to the soapy massage parlors, or the occasional pub crawl winding up with a temporary friend, but at this point in my life I could never imagine living with anyone again.

Looks like a copy of my life ....???? .... couldn't see me living between only rice fields that was the breaking point ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Well, I think everyone needs someone, more so as you age. The nature of the "need" is what varies by person and situation.

The fear I think as you age is "what happens if......." fill in the blank with a scenario, sickness accident  problems of some sort, etc.

After the years I have been here I would have no problem living alone but it wouldnt be my choice. I like having company and someone to share things with. I also like "my time" which is time away and alone occasionally. Its about finding a balance that works for you.

this is what the real question is though for all of you who responded that your happy by yourself...The fear I think as you age is "what happens if..

• Like 1

The question really is, are you independent ?

Being alone does not have to mean lonely.

Personally, I have no problem being self sufficient. I have interests and hobbies, and unless another human is going to "value" add to my life, I am content being alone. I have had long term relationships, which ended for a variety of reasons including a death.

I probably either attend dinners or have others to dinner  3/4times a fortnight, arts, reading , music (uninterrupted by extraneous noise) .

Physically active, healthy. Great cook, Content.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

this is what the real question is though for all of you who responded that your happy by yourself...The fear I think as you age is "what happens if..

Not a fear at all, just proper planning. I've already selected the lady who will help me when the need arises. She is a realtor, and has proven her utmost honesty to me in our dealings over the years. And if she's not available when the time comes, I'm sure there are plenty that can be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

After the years I have been here I would have no problem living alone but it wouldnt be my choice. I like having company and someone to share things with. I also like "my time" which is time away and alone occasionally. Its about finding a balance that works for you.

This sums it up for me... I am married 20+ years and we have no problem living together or apart... I get plenty of alone time and my wife has that option too... 

Addressing the broader question, there are 2 aspects - chores and companionship - as I get older, there is a greater, maybe not need, but desire, not to do household chores. And for that, I pay someone to come in - when my wife is here, she takes care of all that... 

as to companionship, I have enough people around and friends that I don't get lonely... even in these days of covid... there is skype and line etc.. but I can't do w/o the drives in the car alone and I like to eat a meal out, alone... [even w/o looking at my phone] 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 5:02 PM, georgegeorgia said:

how many of you actually live by yourself and have no family ?

My last year in LOS ( after my divorce ) I lived alone in a Chiang Mai hotel near the night market. I had no friends and didn't want any. Happy with my own company and TVF was a sort of substitute for live people if I wanted to converse.

However, if I'd had no internet and no tv I don't think I'd have been happy at all.

Still live by myself, but have more contact with live people than I did there.

No family that I have much contact with.

5 hours ago, Victornoir said:

After 8 years of living together with my young wife, we decided to stay together part time. She goes back to her old job (caddy golf) for 5 months in high season and we stay together the rest of the year.

For now it's working and I'm looking forward to October for another slice of life. The last times before covid, we were also happy to meet again in March.

Fantastic solution as long as it works, but I'm afraid that one or the other will end this deal one day and I'm preparing myself for it physically and mentally.

Absence does make reunions to look forward to.

IMO it'll only work if she really doesn't want children.

My entire married life was 6 months in Thailand and 6 months back home. It failed, but I can't say how much the separations were to blame.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

I live with both my Spanish wife and Thai girlfriend, I envy the lads that live happily alone being able to basically do what they want when they want.

I'd trade being able to do what I like when I like for the love of a good woman. Unfortunately I don't think she exists, so I'll go with the former.

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

This sums it up for me... I am married 20+ years and we have no problem living together or apart... I get plenty of alone time and my wife has that option too... 

Addressing the broader question, there are 2 aspects - chores and companionship - as I get older, there is a greater, maybe not need, but desire, not to do household chores. And for that, I pay someone to come in - when my wife is here, she takes care of all that... 

as to companionship, I have enough people around and friends that I don't get lonely... even in these days of covid... there is skype and line etc.. but I can't do w/o the drives in the car alone and I like to eat a meal out, alone... [even w/o looking at my phone] 

There is a fundamental difference to being apart from someone that you live with, and being alone.

Being alone means waking up alone every day of your life, and knowing no one is there for you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is a fundamental difference to being apart from someone that you live with, and being alone.

Being alone means waking up alone every day of your life, and knowing no one is there for you.

I lived alone in the UK while preparing the future in Thailand. Functioned just fine, flexibility was perfect, for work, choosing if and when to meet family and friends.

Never alone as per your description of there being no one there for you. 

Now happily with my wife and children in Thailand different for sure regarding choice and flexibility, but compensated in many other ways.

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yeah I have to admit that living on my own for the first time is enjoyable but I went through the What if with back surgery and have to admit having someone to take care of me was a good thing.

Take a look at the 74 year old Brit in Hospital 

But for the hand of god that could be one of us and I can tell  you life is better in a Thai hospital upscale or downscale if you have someone to help look after you.

• Like 1