How to avoid CP

Boarn

remove from you list all products which you used to buy at 7/11 (it's possible, I never go to 7/11 and mom@pop shops in holidays in an emergency). They are expensive.

Switch to supermarkets and markets.

I buy at makro - the cheapest. Discounted veg and fruits often at around half price, catering size packaging. My wife use to get before covid to weekend farmers market, now not that often, higher prices, but probably higher quality. So also likes Big C (they are not the CP). So now I do makro, as I can't communicate at markers.

Thai have easier chance to buy from multiple sources - from families in the villages, from neighbours, friends. Each can be a supply chain.

There is no way for me avoiding the CP.

Probably the most important is exposing their monopoly and criticising it. A political action. Solution  will probably come by political means, through through anti monopoly laws. That has chance when thailand become more democratic

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

How they were able to buy all of Tesco's supermarkets and pass the equivalent of the monopolies commission I will never know.....

Because they owned it over 20 years ago, didn't sell it all off, kept part of it--had to sell in the 97 crash...they also were importing together.

Just now, sanuk711 said:

Because they owned it over 20 years ago, didn't sell it all off, kept part of it--had to sell in the 97 crash...they also were importing together.

Are these Thai rules? Irrespective of past ownership (presumably under licence from Tesco) would not allow you to buy to achieve a 70% market share.

7 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Are these Thai rules? Irrespective of past ownership (presumably under licence from Tesco) would not allow you to buy to achieve a 70% market share.

Who would not ? I don't think CP own 70% of the  market -that would mean all the other stores---Tops/Villa/Big C /Independents like Friendship etc only have a very small portion.. Big C itself  has really  been expanding for the last few years.

-------------------------------

In 2019, Big C operates 153 hypermarkets, 63 Big C markets and 1,018 Mini Big C stores

with 900,000 sq m of leasable area. Big C's sales totalled 140 billion baht in

2018 and are expected to grow by 5% this year.

Of the 6 billion baht for the domestic market, 5.5 billion baht will be used to open 5-7 new

Big C hypermarkets and 300-400 Mini Big C stores next year.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, internationalism said:

remove from you list all products which you used to buy at 7/11 (it's possible, I never go to 7/11 and mom@pop shops in holidays in an emergency). They are expensive.

Switch to supermarkets and markets.

I buy at makro - the cheapest. Discounted veg and fruits often at around half price, catering size packaging. My wife use to get before covid to weekend farmers market, now not that often, higher prices, but probably higher quality. So also likes Big C (they are not the CP). So now I do makro, as I can't communicate at markers.

Thai have easier chance to buy from multiple sources - from families in the villages, from neighbours, friends. Each can be a supply chain.

There is no way for me avoiding the CP.

Probably the most important is exposing their monopoly and criticising it. A political action. Solution  will probably come by political means, through through anti monopoly laws. That has chance when thailand become more democratic

.....which will not happen while companies like CP use the present system to protect and expand their interests.

The protesters are clear that their desire for freedom of thought and expression, their future opportunities and a better balance of wealth in the country would all be better served without CP.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:42 PM, Pedrogaz said:

How they were able to buy all of Tesco's supermarkets and pass the equivalent of the monopolies commission I will never know......it brought them to a > 70% market share of food sold in Thailand. Ridiculous.

With no downside for the consumers, at all, so far.  Not ridiculous.